If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Dancso

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Dancso »

Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nash wrote:All this asset-stealing business kind of makes me want to praise those non-moddable/cooked-asset engines (Unreal, Unity etc)... I mean sure someone can still get to them if they tried hard or want it badly, but at least it's not as easy as using SLADE or 7Zip or whatever and just getting direct access to the graphics...
So hard.

Unity's trickier, but admittedly that's mostly just because a lot of the tools haven't updated for newer versions.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

NeuralStunner wrote:Finished Urban Brawl. Damn.
Now it's time to try Dead of Winter and the other addon maps! :P
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

After spending some 15 hours on an art piece, with half of it being on a shading technique I've never used before, I finally was able to finish this piece. It's NSFW for furry female frontal nudity.
(I double-checked the rules to make sure I could post something like this here.)
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Nash wrote:All this asset-stealing business kind of makes me want to praise those non-moddable/cooked-asset engines (Unreal, Unity etc)... I mean sure someone can still get to them if they tried hard or want it badly, but at least it's not as easy as using SLADE or 7Zip or whatever and just getting direct access to the graphics...
What's the point of being too protective about stuff that you're not even making Money?
Some way or another, people will use your stuff, the only point is about how easy they can get your stuff from you ( a simple copy and paste or some more complex ways like dump the gpu data for taking the 3D models, recording the audio from a gameplay ( I used to do that With the spooky house mod, it didn't matter how many barriers were in the mod, I'd make a perfect copy of it [and I also had the permittion from the author to do that so...])

The other side is that you can get rekt by our own super protective method, I already lost two mods just by being too protective using some stuff for hiding acs that in the end, I lost the source code and boom ;--;

I'm just saying this text only because I used to be that way, and to be honest, I just wasted my time doing methods for hiding stuff (including editing the engine code :X ), that in the end, people would still be able to steal it, and in the end the only thing I lost was a simple credit name.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

ibm5155 wrote:What's the point of being too protective about stuff that you're not even making Money?
because they are trying to make money off of your free assets.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

The main problem with data obfuscation: The game still has to be able to use it, which provides the perfect starting point for anyone persistent enough to crack it. The only 100% unbreakable encryption is to overwrite your data files with random bytes, which of course renders them useless to everybody else. :P

If somebody wants to rip you off anyway, you're not going to change their mind. Remember, fear of people copying and redistributing your work without you getting paid for it is what lead to the invention of copy-protection. And we see how well that is going.

All you can really do is put a license on your work. Which is frustrating. Basically just another example of a few jerks ruining something for everyone else. :?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

With all this discussion about steam and terrible games on it, I decided to look for myself. fuck, I don't know how to feel about this anymore (pretty great that game's also doing some copyright infringement)

like I understand opening up things for smaller devs to be able to get their work out there, but the storefront is such a mess with copyright infringing games, low quality messes, and the like that its almost impossible to find the good stuff from the noise without resorting to the "sort by popularity" thing. Am I weird for wanting a storefront that tries to have at least some semblance of quality in the stuff they peddle, even if that does mean excluding smaller devs and the like? I dunno, this just confuses the shit out of me.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Small devs that are small caus they can't make anything good isn't realy the kind of small dev you want to give easier access to your store, but valve gets a cut of every sale so they don't care a whole lot about what gets sold.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Am I the only one who has never seen an asset flip / shovelware trash suggested on their store page?
Sure, I don't browse the store randomly too often, but the crappiest thing I'd ever see would be cheap anime dating sim minigames... which even though I completely dislike, I accept being on the store.
What I'm saying is, I don't know how much of an issue are these crappy games in terms of "drowning out the good indies", because frankly, you need to have a plan for marketing if you are looking to make games for a living.

The crappy game devs will never go beyond getting a mixed review, burying them on the pages, and they definitely won't be investing money or time in marketing. It's true that there may be hidden gems from good people who lack the funds to create a campaign for their game but what they clearly don't lack is time and passion for their project... at which point they should look into creating buzz with strategically placed posts on reddit or whatever to gain traction... or seek third party funding. If the game really is good, word of mouth can pick it up to the point where they're turning a profit.

I'm not implying that we shouldn't grab our pitchforks against asset theft and blatant shovelware, but I'd say a lot of their traffic has got to be from users checking "what the fuss is about". And we don't want to be helping them. If you see illegal stuff report it, otherwise move on.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Dancso wrote:I'm not implying that we shouldn't grab our pitchforks against asset theft and blatant shovelware, but I'd say a lot of their traffic has got to be from users checking "what the fuss is about". And we don't want to be helping them. If you see illegal stuff report it, otherwise move on.
I couldn't agree more. Leave a concise negative review (more of a warning really) where necessary, but overall spend your time on things that deserve the attention.
Nash

Post by Nash »

ibm5155 wrote:What's the point of being too protective about stuff that you're not even making Money?
I'm making my own original assets for my projects which I plan to make money off of.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Because someone else is making money off of your passion and your work. That's pretty much akin to slavery.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I now have brand new CD copies of Equinoxe, Oxygene (Trilogy!), and Chronology. :D

Pulled 'em to FLAC and am now putting them on my music player. Thanks to USB3 SDcard reader I also jsut got, the transfer went insanely fast. :o
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NeuralStunner wrote:Oxygene (Trilogy!)
Damn, there's a third one of these? Time for me to refresh my Jarre collection then...

(also Rendez-Vous II is the best thing)

Return to “Off-Topic”