The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Darkcrafter »

Want to know a piece of advice which I was given by a professional cook? Eat at home in the summer or do it at reputable places. I know some people that were working on a variety of fast food markets and restaraunts, the chances they utilize outdated, bad or even dirty ingredients are high, especially if place is cheap. That kind of things happen globally. Now imagine when lots of people have a mobile thing that will analyze food and give a report on bacterias and contents, I believe that would quickly put the fuckers out of their business.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Nice to see that you're also enjoying Mario Maker 2. And it seems your levels got some original bits going on! That's a good touch.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Rachael wrote: If she's old enough, and at least as wise as you are, she'll see right through that shit and she'll probably stop accepting rides from him. Nobody wants or needs that kind of toxicity in their life - it's bullshit and it's a waste of time.
Your reply means more to me than I can tell you. You're one of the people I respect most in the "Doom community" (for reasons I mentioned before) and I didn't really expect to be called wise lol. That means a lot to me, thank you. I don't consider myself wise, but I guess good heart, experience, and an attempt at maturity when mixed together occasionally has positive results. lol. I'm trying...... I'm trying to stay and be the good Christian man my late wife loves. (<3<3) Protect the innocent, give to those less fortunate, be honorable... I fall short a lot, but the fact that you said that gives me some outside feedback that my struggling attempts in this world without her (physically) are not in vain. Danke darlin'.

Anyways, I didn't mean to bring this back up 10 posts later, I'm just drunk from the 4th and didn't really know how to respond when I first read it (of course until my BAC rose.)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

By the way, Rammstein shared another video from the new album (so that's two before, one after release.) This is personally my second favorite song on the entire album. Radio has become a very top spot for me in their entire catalogue (both the video, the meaning, lyrics, and performance as explained in an earlier post), but Ausländer is literally my second favorite song in the new CD... so the fact that they made this a music video is just great to me. You can see their mix of seriousness and humor in the whole video, as usual. I love when the younger ones start singing the chorus, I thought that was a really cool part of it. I laughed out loud at the welcome/willkommen part, and when Till and the tribal boy smiled at each other about the woman's breast in the painting. By the way, depending on your country, THIS IS NSFW, so hidden in spoilers. Rammstein is pretty infamous for that, lmao.
Spoiler:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Today i fired a real gun for the first time.

I went to the shooting range and asked to fire 10 rounds of .380 on a Taurus 845 (if i am not mistaken). The instructor asked me if i knew the basics (and i mostly knew). Stood in position, took a deep breath, aimed and pulled the trigger.

Man, what an peculiar sensation! 9 out of 10 shots in a good grouping, i am not as bad as i thought i really was :P

I want to do it more often, now the mod "build your skill" by wildweasel feels more real than ever! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

.380 Rounds? Fired for very first time? Bloody Hell, that's hardcore! I thought they would firstly guide you with a handful of .22LR or 9mm. But boy was i wrong. Glad you enjoyed some shooting.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Captain J wrote:.380 Rounds? Fired for very first time? Bloody Hell, that's hardcore! I thought they would firstly guide you with a handful of .22LR or 9mm. But boy was i wrong. Glad you enjoyed some shooting.
Honestly, you'd be surprised at what different calibers can feel like to shoot, depending on the kind of gun they're being fired from. 9mm doesn't feel nearly as "small" as video games would like you to think, and .44 Magnum isn't quite as punishing to fire as you'd expect, either, though that's largely down to things like shock absorbers in the grip to help reduce felt recoil (muzzle rise, on the other hand...). If your grip is correct and your stance isn't totally wrong, it's fairly fun, and you stand little chance of hitting yourself in the face with the recoil.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh man. I never went to Firing Range and fired a Single Gun, but i think i get the fun of it.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

.380 ACP is a little less powerful than 9mm Luger as a cartridge. Felt recoil is also impacted by the weight of the gun, length of the barrel, recoil spring etc. 9mm is definitely right in the sweet spot middle for handgun rounds, and it is by far the most successful handgun cartridge in the world. (Saving millions of civilian lives, police lives, and military lives.)
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

I've never fired a gun. Would like to try it once.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Even weapons of the same caliber have remarkably different characteristics depending on size, mode of operation , handling... I've tried out both the AR-15 and the L85/6 family, both are 5.56mm and both were very different to shoot. My personal favourite is the ak74 rechambered to NATO caliber. Absolutely dream to shoot and handle, and the weight (although similar to it's western counterparts) felt almost non-existant.

Also, I agree and prefer 9mm for handguns. Reports of it being underpowered are exaggerated and misinformed. It's a perfectly balanced little round.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Speaking of efficient bullets, are .22LR rounds and dedicated firearms mostly comes in cheap price? Worth to keep them and all? It's also smaller than 9mm and probably used a lot.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Captain J wrote:Speaking of efficient bullets, are .22LR rounds and dedicated firearms mostly comes in cheap price? Worth to keep them and all? It's also smaller than 9mm and probably used a lot.
Yes, you can often get them in quite large quantities for a decent price, depending where you go. If you want to do mostly static shooting, rather than self/home defence, you can save a lot of money. It's best to have a couple of different guns to switch between though, since shortages of ammo in stores do happen and you'll be left empty till you can restock.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Vostyok wrote:Also, I agree and prefer 9mm for handguns. Reports of it being underpowered are exaggerated and misinformed. It's a perfectly balanced little round.
100% agreed and correct. Anyone that says 9mm isn't a good handgun round for self defense doesn't know anything about firearms or the history of firearms.. at all. .380 ACP and .32 ACP are much weaker rounds than 9mm Luger, and they still have saved tens of thousands of lives in the last century. 9mm is absolutely the most successful handgun cartridge in the history of humankind, proven in history and on the field (in war, in active law enforcement duty, and civilian self-defense scenarios.)

There is VERY little difference between final impact from a .45 caliber round, and a 9mm Luger. This has been proven time and time again, scientifically. So you are getting extra recoil, more noise and muzzle flash, lower magazine capacity, but the same results on target as if you had carried a 9mm instead. Carry what you are comfortable shooting, accurately grouping, especially under stress, period. While I don't personally recommend .22 LR for self defense, if that's all you're comfortable shooting, power to you. A .22 LR on target is better than a .357 Magnum that misses. This is the reason the Desert Eagle is one of the must useless self-defense handguns in the world. .50 AE has tremendous energy, so much that the heavy slide is moved by gas operation the way rifles are (like the AR-15 platform and AK-pattern weapons.) As far as I know, it is the only gas-operated handgun in existence. In the time it takes you to fire (and possibly miss) the huge .50 AE bullet, the criminal with a 9mm could have already shot you 4-5 times in the chest while your slide resets, much less, by the time you realign your sights. (Unless you are Duke Nukem or Jerry Miculek.) Not very useful of a weapon. I LOVE the Desert Eagle, as a collector piece, and a range gun. But I would never bet my life to it (unless there was no other weapon available.)

This is a FANTASTIC video about handgun calibers not really mattering, from well spoken ballistic engineers at Federal Premium Ammunition, that have worked with the FBI and other scientists over the decades:

(WARNING: The contents of the discussion in the video, although scientific in nature, may be disturbing or graphic to some.)
Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic”