The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Deviluke Roy

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Deviluke Roy »

I'm just playing pokemon games. Currently at school, doing stuff.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Dancso wrote:Breaking news guys, we're not getting multicore support in gzdoom :( :( If only we were more respectful to someone who's read 100 programming books... I guess we just didn't want it enough. :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEdZNbasyE

Seriously though, how do these people exist... and why do we get them with such regularity? I guess Brutal Doom did open the floodgates for a wider audience.. which, statistically, is bound to draw in more than just ignorant people. :P
Sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse. I listened to his 36 minute video and now I feel like I must post about it, otherwise it will have been wasted time lol (tbf it did get a couple of laughs out of me, so maybe not entirely wasted)
Aw, what a shame!

All that work that never happened - lost!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I honestly did not understand that guy. Really.

He spoke in a ... Texan? Alabama? (sorry if that's completely wrong) accent. Could apparently write in a brand new code format, that apparently was "invisible" and "between the lines" of a config file. That he wrote himself.

Yet wrote on the forums and webpages like a really bad google translate. Like, abominably so.

I have to brush it off as a really determined yet vain trolling attempt. Otherwise my head will explode.
kodi

Post by kodi »

I suspect he's in need of psychiatric care. And I don't mean that as an insult; I really hope he gets it.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

kodi wrote:I suspect he's in need of psychiatric care. And I don't mean that as an insult; I really hope he gets it.
I suspect you may be right about that.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Dancso wrote:Breaking news guys, we're not getting multicore support in gzdoom :( :( If only we were more respectful to someone who's read 100 programming books... I guess we just didn't want it enough. :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEdZNbasyE

Seriously though, how do these people exist... and why do we get them with such regularity? I guess Brutal Doom did open the floodgates for a wider audience.. which, statistically, is bound to draw in more than just ignorant people. :P
Sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse. I listened to his 36 minute video and now I feel like I must post about it, otherwise it will have been wasted time lol (tbf it did get a couple of laughs out of me, so maybe not entirely wasted)
Careful there, I too was one of the people brought to the Doom Communitiy via Brutal Doom...

I never knew that there weren't any sourceport engines that had multicore support... I thought GZDoom had it.

The only thing I got from that video was that people were being total asshats to the developer... but I don't understand why. Did I miss that?
Rachael wrote:Aw, what a shame!

All that work that never happened - lost!
Do you think you could get the WIP project from this guy to continue his project?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

DoomKrakken - the guy was either a very clever attention whore, or a troll. Basically, he talked a big talk, but he had nothing of real value to show off or prove that he had actually done it.

Now - what he is proposing is actually possible, but not without breaking the deterministic model that Doom relies on in order to sync demos and multiplayer. In the end all the issues can pretty much be nailed down to "get a better processor."

So he wanted to create HellDoom to have this fabled "multi-core support" - though if he were smart he would fork Zandronum for that since its net code automatically syncs monsters and players, anyway.
Gez

Post by Gez »

DoomKrakken wrote:Do you think you could get the WIP project from this guy to continue his project?
Here it is!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

DoomKrakken wrote: I never knew that there weren't any sourceport engines that had multicore support... I thought GZDoom had it.
The whole notion of multicore 'support' is ludicrous. Every program that starts multiple threads uses multiple cores - and even as it is GZDoom runs several tasks asynchronously, like the sound mixer, the OpenGL dispatch queue and a few other things. Although not as dramatic as multithreading the renderer this already takes a lot of load off the main thread.
Popsoap10

Post by Popsoap10 »

Vostyok wrote:I honestly did not understand that guy. Really.
I don't either.

He had this huge obsession with getting respect, and yet, conducted in a manner which doomed himself from getting any at all. And he folded over quickly when things didn't turn his way.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was ready to give him the benefit of the doubt but every time I gave him a chance to prove what he had done it led to dead links and 404's.

Basically this guy just did a lot of smoke and mirrors. He's not as dumb as you might think he is, but he certainly isn't as smart as he thinks he is, either.

Also, his "proof" that multicore was working was nothing more than a customized version of Brutal Doom with all the effects toned down to nearly nil.
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

I just heard on the news today that St. Josephs college in Rensselaer, Indiana are closing its doors for good and they also said that they need 120 million dollars to stay open. I don't know if anybody here went to St. Josephs before in the past.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Popsoap10 wrote:He had this huge obsession with getting respect, and yet, conducted in a manner which doomed himself from getting any at all. And he folded over quickly when things didn't turn his way.
Pretty much this. He talked a big talk, but couldn't walk the actual walk.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

DoomKrakken wrote:Careful there, I too was one of the people brought to the Doom Communitiy via Brutal Doom...

I never knew that there weren't any sourceport engines that had multicore support... I thought GZDoom had it.
Sorry, I was generalizing based on a stereotype. I meant no offence to actual decent forumgoers.

And as far as I know, gzdoom has some multithreading for the rendering code, but not the game logic.

I do believe rising fenix is a quirky person rather than a troll. This is going to be a long shot for a comparison but, my father has narcissistic personality disorder and I am constantly surprised at what he considers normal behaviour, and how unaware he is of his faults. So much so that I often find myself thinking that he upsets people on purpose and has a general malign intent. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's pretty scary how easy it is to mistake a mental issue for a scheme. There's probably not enough awareness of it around the world, though admittedly in this case it's really not our business to deal with it.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Some think multithreading can magically apply to everything and some want to be so entitled for games to use 100% of their processor no matter what, like believing the hype around that TDM MinGW package to automatically parallelize all functions, tacking on -march=native and all the sse/avx flags will make everything super fast (spoiler: it won't). Given that he can't even compile gzdoom on his own I doubt it.

PCem gets this all the time. It's an emulator emulating a single x86 processor core. It uses one thread for it and the vocal minority tend to be on dual-core Pentiums oddly enough

Return to “Off-Topic”