The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Captain J »

That's super jolly good to hear! I'm certainly amazed that Romero hasn't given up and continuing working on classic doom stuff! And that's very nice-
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

congrats to all the Cacoward winners, too! quite a few that roams these forums, and all well-deserved too. :)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

They deserves more love than i have!! They have worked on own project with sincere heart, for a long time now. It's been fun playing others' mods too!
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Get Phobo wrote:Romero has made Sigil, a 9-map megawad -- episode 5 for Ultimate Doom, to be run with GZDoom -- for Doom's 25th birthday.

See here: https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/
I love this! The interview was also a cool read. I always had this negative impression from John Romero because of his infamous ad, but after seeing him in interviews and doing some Q/A session with like programmer students at college... he seems like a really decent guy, and he was really interested in helping everyone.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

RexS wrote:
Get Phobo wrote:Romero has made Sigil, a 9-map megawad -- episode 5 for Ultimate Doom, to be run with GZDoom -- for Doom's 25th birthday.

See here: https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/
I love this! The interview was also a cool read. I always had this negative impression from John Romero because of his infamous ad, but after seeing him in interviews and doing some Q/A session with like programmer students at college... he seems like a really decent guy, and he was really interested in helping everyone.
I think I recall him saying somewhere that he really hated the ad himself and thought it misrepresented him a lot, but my Google-fu hasn't turned anything up yet.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

if you look at the Wikipedia article for Daikatana, he actually approved of the ad back then. he regrets it now though, because it was some sort of in-joke to him trash talking while playing games and found it to be humorous. clearly, not many other people was in on the joke, and he feel things would be much better off had he never approved it.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

It's Mike Wilson's fault, and yet somehow no one wants to fault him even for all the bad gaffes after that ("The Guy Game", "Gamecock" publicity stunts, etc) probably because he runs a company that currently owns babby's first "doom" tributes. Heck, his old 'we are gods' marketing schtick of 97-98 I found just as arrogant as well, riding off that Quake/Final Doom/Hexen high. Daikatana wasn't even the first Ion Storm crap hype backlash release; that was Dominion - one of the worst RTS'es of '98
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Well, I did the brakes for my TransAm this morning, and apparently I don't know how to bleed brakes... or I got air bubbles in the Master Cylinder or something. The brake pads are easy work, but I thought I bled the brakes just fine? Still have the pedal going to the floor. Now I have to get it to a shop and spend MORE money... sigh. So stressed out. I know it's just brakes, but my tolerance for problems has become infinitely short in my grief.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Alone in the Doom...

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Just like in original game but in First Person! Looks promising.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Captain J wrote:Just like in original game but in First Person! Looks promising.
Time to finally show these pesky demons who's boss!

The attic room is finished as far as gameplay goes, everything is scripted exactly like in the original game (zombie chicken crashes through window, zombie knocks against trapdoor and then rises from it, both can be blocked by pushing the closet or chest over/in front of them).

Now I need to apply better textures and also do models for the oil lamp and furniture like boxes and chairs.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Cherno wrote:Alone in the Doom...
Take my money!!

If you can make this a thing it would be legendary!!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

There's a thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62852
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

GZdoom would probably benefit the original AITD style more. Really could use some fake fixed noise on the lighting shaders plus a palette operation, and maybe a shader for model 'textures' (read: texcoord from fragcoord)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

leileilol wrote:
GZdoom would probably benefit the original AITD style more. Really could use some fake fixed noise on the lighting shaders plus a palette operation, and maybe a shader for model 'textures' (read: texcoord from fragcoord)
I have no idea what you mean by all that, but I made a thread a few weeks ago about using shaders with models and it got no replies so I'm stuck with simulating everything by straight uv-mapping of diffuse maps.

Alone in the Dark basically has four different types of rendering model surfaces: a flat color, a flat color with noise, a gradient from brightest to darkest, and a gradient in camera viewport space (not uv mapped) for shiny objects. Everything but the last one can easily be done with uv mapping without any kind fo special shaders.

Return to “Off-Topic”