The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by NeuralStunner »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I didn't know you were a Blind Guardian fan, too.
Have been ever since a friend of mine introduced me to At the Edge of Time. I think even he was surprised it left such an impression. :)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

speaking of music, the soundtrack for Doom 4 is getting a pretty substantial physical release.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Even with V... Vinyl Record? Hope i can get some cassette pack of this soundtrack for my little imaginationary walkman! :P
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I'm half expecting cassettes (including video ones) to make a comeback. I hope so less for their own sake than for a potential revival of awesome things done with analog tape.
Viscra Maelstrom

vinyl's pretty consistently made a comeback and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. as for tapes, one of my favorite bands, Enter Shikari, released their latest album on casette tape last year, and they're moderately popular worldwide.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

NeuralStunner wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:I didn't know you were a Blind Guardian fan, too.
Have been ever since a friend of mine introduced me to At the Edge of Time. I think even he was surprised it left such an impression. :)
Good shit right there. Besides a certain [adult swim] video game, that's how I got started on them, too.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

I do hope that the cassettes will make a comeback, they're so cool aesthetically. One of the bands I listen to now, The Soft Moon, is releasing their albums on cassettes and I'm looking forward to get one of them (of which I've already ordered an LP).
Personally, I love physical media in general, all kinds of it. I collect cassettes just as much as vinyl records, CDs and DVDs.
Project Shadowcat

I don't miss cassettes so much. Mostly because they break down too easily with the passage of time, and a tape player is one bad gear away from absolutely destroying a tape. That and I've been spoiled by Compact Disc's ability to select tracks at will.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

They just need to start making music on the tefifon. Its like a 78 and an 8 track fused. The prefect format.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I don't miss cassettes so much. Mostly because they break down too easily with the passage of time, and a tape player is one bad gear away from absolutely destroying a tape. That and I've been spoiled by Compact Disc's ability to select tracks at will.
They indeed gets broken or causes malfunction so easily. And that's why we have cases to cover them and prevent the misfortune coming at them!

... Well, i wish i had those cases.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Laserdiscs 4 lyfe.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I don't miss cassettes so much. Mostly because they break down too easily with the passage of time, and a tape player is one bad gear away from absolutely destroying a tape.
I fully admit it's 90% nostalgia. :P I know it's possible to pretty well recreate "the sound" digitally, but not a lot of people seem inclined to bother.
Project Dark Fox wrote:That and I've been spoiled by Compact Disc's ability to select tracks at will.
Same here, really. On the other hand, I believe that too much track focus (but mainly MP3) has kind of ruined the "whole album experience". Something, amusingly, that the resurgence of vinyl should be bringing back into play.
Project Shadowcat

NeuralStunner wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:I don't miss cassettes so much. Mostly because they break down too easily with the passage of time, and a tape player is one bad gear away from absolutely destroying a tape.
I fully admit it's 90% nostalgia. :P I know it's possible to pretty well recreate "the sound" digitally, but not a lot of people seem inclined to bother.
Project Dark Fox wrote:That and I've been spoiled by Compact Disc's ability to select tracks at will.
Same here, really. On the other hand, I believe that too much track focus (but mainly MP3) has kind of ruined the "whole album experience". Something, amusingly, that the resurgence of vinyl should be bringing back into play.
Vinyl on the other hand, I can totally get behind. A roommate has been building up a vinyl collection (complete with the best deal on The Wall we'll ever get of $12) and they sound so good. Better than tape or CD I think. Bob Dylan was onto something when he said that CD's sound like shit.
Viscra Maelstrom

i haven't really been able to tell the difference in the audio, myself, though vinyls are pretty cool and a collection of those are pretty impressive to look at. the sleeves themselves though aren't the most sturdy and can easily get worn down if improperly stored; it's happened to a few of my favorite records, and i still feel a bit shitty about that occurring because it's a result of my own inexperience storing them (the records themselves can even be warped and rendered completely useless, but that's only really gonna happen if they tilt at an extreme angle, or you stack a pile on top of each other, which you shouldn't do). at least now i have proper shelves to put them in, so there isn't any more stress being put on the sleeves.

and yes, i bought that vinyl/CD bundle of the soundtrack. Doom 4's OST is kick-ass, and this package is gonna look pretty fucking kicking when displayed in my room.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I think my favorite thing about vinyl is doing things like
On the original vinyl release, the chimes heard at the end of "By-Tor & the Snow Dog" continue into the locked groove, and thus play indefinitely on manual record players.
(src)

Return to “Off-Topic”