The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NotDoom

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by NotDoom »

It took me 2 hours to fix it. That thin copper piece must be worth 0.01 $ and it drives everyone crazy by being so fragile and not lasting many years.
Master of Disasters

Post by Master of Disasters »

a thing
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

i tried downloading this replika app... Seeing how advanced this "AI" really is.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Master of Disasters wrote:a thing
That shotgun sprite looks so awesome, corpse disappears because of its majesty.

EDIT:

Made another animations!
Last edited by Captain J on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBeardedJedi

Post by TheBeardedJedi »

I sparred my TKD instructor tonight. His former instructor was a top ROK soldier from Vietnam, so he pretty much beat me to a pulp. It was fun though. Covered in bruises.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

No pain no gain i guess... He probably could've give you some protective gear before the spar, but i guess that explains why you shouldn't mess with the vets!
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

finally got my first written novel selling on Amazon Kindle, working on my filler novel and almost done with that one too... got my outline done for my 3rd one.
42_the_Gamer
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Almost everything for my upcoming mod has just been finalized. All that's left are the maps.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

man, you ever read a single tweet that makes you realize you basically know nothing about something you love?

I love graphics programming, but it's become such an intricate and extremely involved field and I genuinely have no idea how to keep up with everything in it, and while I find the creative problem solving nature of it very fun, it's frustrating realizing that I know practically nothing about it. Or game engine design for that matter...
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

InsanityBringer wrote:man, you ever read a single tweet that makes you realize you basically know nothing about something you love?

I love graphics programming, but it's become such an intricate and extremely involved field and I genuinely have no idea how to keep up with everything in it, and while I find the creative problem solving nature of it very fun, it's frustrating realizing that I know practically nothing about it. Or game engine design for that matter...
Thanks for that link, was interesting to read (not the twitter look-how-clever-I-am post, but the article that prompted the guy to post it).

Don't worry about not being able to keep up with everything in 3D computer graphics - nobody can. This is just one of those optimizations that one guy figured out, posted it on the internet, and then other people like that twitter guy read it and now play clever every time they see code from everyone else that didn't apply it. I'll try change GZDoom's screen quad drawing function and see how much it really gives in the real world. :)

Edit: and the numbers are in. Trying to maximize the impact I turned on all the built-in PP shaders: before I got 363 fps at 4K with map01, after I got 380 fps. A total improvement of 5% on my computer. Not enough to really matter that much, but I'll take it. Maybe some more low end cards will appreciate the change slightly more. :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

So he's testing his setup on a single GPU and draws universal conclusions? How does it stack up on NVidia and Intel?
Also, if triangles are so inefficient, why were quad primitives deprecated in OpenGL 3.x? Looks to me like they'd be the perfect solution here.

Also: You got 5% on a map that requires no effort to render - on anything real the gain would be negligible. And please - don't use fps to measure performance! fps is an absolutely meaningless metric once the numbers go beyond 200. For the record: that's the same 0.1 ms that article reported. If that's the entire gain the postprocessing pipeline gives, it's really not worth the effort. On the other hand - since you already have the code, let's just use it, it surely doesn't hurt. ;)
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

You do realize I have a Nvidia GPU, right? The 5% performance improvement number is actually based on millisecond numbers even tho I posted it in FPS numbers (you do realize you can convert FPS to ms and visa versa, right?) The test is for the postprocessing layers, not the scene. That is why it using as simple a scene a possible, you do realize that, right? Also, you do realize I switched from two triangles exactly covering the screen to a single twice the screen size triangle, not a quad.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You do realize you're sounding a bit antagonistic here? Chill, guys.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Gez wrote:You do realize you're sounding a bit antagonistic here? Chill, guys.
The straw that broke the camel's back.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

dpJudas wrote:
Gez wrote:You do realize you're sounding a bit antagonistic here? Chill, guys.
The straw that broke the camel's back.
Really, though.

Return to “Off-Topic”