The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SouthernLion

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by SouthernLion »

I finished building my new PC. I went with purple to honor my late wife (purple was a very meaningful color to her, and us). It's all new hardware, except for the backup SATA SSD (primary SSD is M2/PCIe), the power supply, and the temporary GTX 960 4GB holding me over until I replace it with a 10 or 11. (As I'm sure you guys agree, I'm not exactly in a rush because of those damn bitcoin miners jacking up GPU prices.) I got it set up where if my PC overheats the purple ram turns red (and my mouse and keyboard flash red to alert me), and I got 4 short strips, 3 fans, and 1 really long strip of LEDs to sync up with PC audio, whether its music or game audio or anything else. I have a quick video I took to show my friends how it looks syncing up.

Picture:

Video:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That purple lights definitely means to us as well. Nicely done, and i think those parts installed into it are all expensive and runs with good performance!
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I've been trying to make a map for Joel's Doom mapping contest, but nothing good is coming out. I'm not a level designer, at least not a good one. What should I do?
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Do it anyway! Alternatively, solicit feedback here on the forums perhaps?
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Instead of doing what few commissions I have like I should be doing, I have been working on other things instead. (Human practice, link is SFW)

(No, insightguy and zrrion, I've not forgotten about you guys. I've been going through a rough patch last week.)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Wiw wrote:I've been trying to make a map for Joel's Doom mapping contest, but nothing good is coming out. I'm not a level designer, at least not a good one. What should I do?
Don't try to make something "perfect", especially if you are new. There's no shame in studying other maps for ideas on architecture and gameplay flow, but comparing your work to others is the bane of any creator, no matter what the medium (sketching, painting, writing, mapping).

Like Big(ger) C said, there best thing is just to go for it. One method: Plan out a beginning, middle challenge, set-piece and then an end. Open up multiple wads, and create these pieces individually, until you are happy with them. Then imagine how they might lead to each other. Pointless backtracking is a bad idea, but revisiting a central area of the map, which may suffer structural change or a renewed enemy presence, allows the player to familiarise themselves with the layout, as well as giving a feeling of "oh shit, I guess I got their attention").

Don't be afraid pull out sections of a map either, if they just aren't working. Otherwise you might end up boxing yourself into a corner with dull rooms with no purpose.

Playtest on all difficulties as well, if you have time. I don't mind reviewing maps with a constructive eye, either :)

I hope this helps.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Seconding everything Vostyok said. I'm not a stellar mapper myself, but I had a blast on my first and only "formal" map submission. (Check out DUMP 3 if you haven't already. ;) )
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Making the best maps might be challenging at first. And it'll probably not so perfect than you expected. Making better and detailed maps obviously takes times and ideas. Mapping through the trial and error will make you experienced. Ultimately able to map professionally!

But now, It's okay to be imperfect. Give it a shot and learn from the map you have been made. Good luck!
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well I've done it! Just submitted my map.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Wiw wrote:Well I've done it! Just submitted my map.
Well done, buddy.

Best way to get better is to release and observe feedback.

Hope they like it!
RiboNucleic Asshat

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Argh, how do you people work so quickly!? I've been struggling on a map since the contest was announced and I feel like I'm barely even a sixth of the way done. I haven't gotten to texturing or detailing yet and it's barely larger than Entryway so far... I work at such a glacial pace I'm afraid I'll miss the deadline.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

PermaNoob wrote:
Argh, how do you people work so quickly!? I've been struggling on a map since the contest was announced and I feel like I'm barely even a sixth of the way done. I haven't gotten to texturing or detailing yet and it's barely larger than Entryway so far... I work at such a glacial pace I'm afraid I'll miss the deadline.
It took me 7 years to do 9 levels. I understand your world.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

PermaNoob wrote:
I kind of rushed mine out.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

For the last couple days, my freetime has been consumed by the Dubstep Gun for Garry's Mod. :trippy:
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Okay, I know i have not been posting much sprite related stuff on this site for a while now but this is because I was kinda tinkering with the sprites in mods seeing what I can do with it. For starters I have done this with the Doom Incarnate mod by making a personal version for my use, just by editing the hand sprites and messing with the audio clips. But now I have decided to sink my teeth in to the latest version of Brutal Doom. I know that mod is probably not the best thing to bring up on this forum in regards to the behavior of it's creator but this is not about him.

What I mean to show off in video form is just my personal edits to BD-V21.

Video:

What got replaced -
*any voice clips from the player from the Painful Grunts to the player yelling insults I recorded the lines myself.
*Weapon Pickup Sprites Excluding the Axe and Chainsaw
*Weapon use frames "just the hands"

Sure it's not much but hopefully if I keep working at this, I might be able to make a mod of my very own. I gotta start somewhere.

Note - the "it was just a prank" bit was just added to the video for shits and giggles

Also Here are the pickup sprites used in my personal version of BDv21.
Sprites I made for BDv21 Custom.png
Sprites I made for BDv21 Custom.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 446 times

Return to “Off-Topic”