and back to the regular schedule
SHayden

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by SHayden »

Who's excited? :rock: :rock: :rock:
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

So guys, I'm looking for megawads to play. Anybody got some suggestions?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Devianteist wrote:So guys, I'm looking for megawads to play. Anybody got some suggestions?
The ones I always go back to are Hellbound, Bloodstain and Sacrament. But I have odd tastes. You might like them though.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Eviternity is certainly worth checking
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... eviternity
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

I haven't played it, but there's Exomoon which is a by the mapper that did Moonblood.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

if you haven't played Back to Saturn X Episodes 1 & 2, i highly recommend checking them out.

Hellbound is one of my favorites too, but it doesn't exactly play the best and can be a bit unfair. still, the sense of atmosphere the set has keeps pulling me back in.

if you like some older stuff, The Talosian Incident and Fragport are also some of my favorites, the former setting a great mood thanks to the music, and the latter's "realistic" levels being something i enjoy quite a bit, even though the difficulty is kind of jerky and it probably doesn't hold up as well as i think it does, but i think it's worth a look anyway.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darsycho »

Speaking of Eviternity, I've started streaming on Twitch recently, last stream I did was of Eviternity with Combined_Arms, boy does this mapset love archviles, and fucking hell map19 is absolutely gargantuan.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Oh neat, didn't know you streamed. I'll be sure to check you out sometime. Also heh, another fellow Eviternity+CA player.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

So, I found out my exhaust had another leak (possibly for a long time, even back for years driving it around with my now late wife) directly from the exhaust gaskets where the exhaust connects to the engine. The exhaust shop pointed out the black marks on my motor where it was leaking. Apparently, when I had them install the long tube headers (basically race car headers, they make your engine scream and easily add 30+HP to a V8 like mine that is being restricted by the wimpy stock manifold,* they are illegal to have on the street in 49 states possibly, Florida is the only state I know about without emissions testing and I can get away with it) they used the 20 year old stock manifold gasket. No wonder it's destroyed and leaking exhaust everywhere!!! I guess I should have provided proper aftermarket header gaskets or specified, but in my trusting nature I just assumed since they were charging my wife and I well over $1,000 to install them that they would just provide their own as an exhaust shop. Anyways, I got new high-quality header gaskets from Summit Racing and since my mechanic (he's like Doohan [ https://cowboybebop.fandom.com/wiki/Doohan ] to me) was whining about how much he "hates working on exhaust", I said fuck it and manned up and installed them myself. It was kind of annoying, because I had to take several coil packs off and all the spark plug wires, and some of the bolts were in VERY hard to reach places... but I bought a 10mm ratcheting wrench and that changed the whole project into a breeze. What an amazingly useful tool! It really sounds amazing now, and since I'm no longer losing power from the leak or giving false readings to my O2 sensor, I decided to clean my MAF sensor, get a new air-filter and airlid (mine had a crack in it), and clean my fuel injectors. She is SCREAMING fast now. This is possibly the best the car has ever ran for my wife and I. (RIP, Love of My Life.) I went to merge on to a bridge yesterday, and floored it just for fun, and it actually terrified me how well she responded and how fast she was. It was like 40 MPH (64 kph) to 90 MPH (145 kph) in a couple seconds, I was giggling like a little school girl I was so excited. Not quite sports bike fast, but for a 3,500+ pound car, that's terrifying. lol I'll try to get some videos like I promised, one of the new sound with the high flow catalytic converter and exhaust leak fixed, and then one of me doing a 0-130 MPH (0-210 kph) run, (and possibly 40-130 MPH [64-210 kph] run because when she hooks from a roll it is a beautiful thing.) Here's some pictures of my handiwork. You can clearly see the damage on the original 1998 gasket, and you can imagine how that was just pouring out exhaust.
Spoiler:
*On the left is the stock manifold that comes with the car from the factory from 1998-2002 (for V8 Camaros and Firebirds, I don't know what years for Corvettes and GTOs), the one on the right is the aftermarket headers I have installed on my car. You can see pretty clearly how dramatically that improves exhaust flow, (this is the biggest increase in HP you can do for this car in a single upgrade, period, that doesn't involve boost [Turbo/Super] or nitrous, or changing your camshaft.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

20 year old parts... Now that's scammy enough to realize that you got bamboozled. I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you found out what's the leaking problem, i guess this is positively fixed, literally!
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Some great Megawad suggestions up there. Any others you guys think I should give a go? I've been looking through /id Games, but I'm unsure of what to try.

EDIT: I did pick up that Compendium megapack here on the forums, that's a hell and a half to sift through, but it's mega fun.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Devianteist wrote:Some great Megawad suggestions up there. Any others you guys think I should give a go? I've been looking through /id Games, but I'm unsure of what to try.
They're a bit on the easy side (compared to Scythe, AV and Memento Mori, which tend to be slaughter-y towards the end), but I thoroughly enjoy Doom 1 remix wads like Wonderful Doom and Ultimate Needs More Detail. I can't recommend Double-Impact enough, as well.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: Not sure if telling my dream here is really worth it, but...
Anyway this article is originally from ZDoom Discord Server. I found this one worth spreading.

Return to “Off-Topic”