The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by NeuralStunner »

Captain Ventris wrote:For a long time I've thought that getting a modern overhaul of Super Sonic Doom would be awesome. It's always got a special place in my heart.
Ceeb (Obi Wan meme here) was doing one a long time ago, but he could never get The Ultimate Doomer's OK to release it.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

it definitely could do with a tune-up: there's a lot of things with the mod that could stand to be fixed. discounting all the hacky implementations of stuff that the engine can do normally now, the difficulty spikes hard once you reach Active Volcano Zone, AKA the level filled with jumps over instakill lava, which can be rendered unbeatable in a couple spots, with the volcano erupting every half minute or so, leading into Ocean City Zone, where the dreadful human enemies make the first appearance.

it starts with berserker dudes that are as fast as you are, and then escalates into human enemies autofiring a steady stream of rockets, plasma, and BFG balls. and all the hitscanner dudes are just as tedious to deal with, if not moreso.

the enhanced enemies are pretty annoying as well. barons throw three fireballs in a row and are faster, revenant terminators shoot full-sized rockets, malevolent souls explode for massive damage, mini-cyberdemons shoot arachnotron plasma as fast as you do... and the turrets in later stages are incredibly dangerous too. and the firebombing in Ocean City Act 2 is a giant fuck you as well, since you can't really predict where they will land, and they absolutely shred you when they do.

ironically, the seven deadly sins are comparatively really easy to drop, even the firestarter himself. they actually have somewhat interesting and varied attack-patterns, but that's not as dangerous as a regular enemy having the chance to drop you with one well-timed rocket blast, berserk punch in your face, or super shotgun buckshot at point blank range.

the first third of the game really is the best, and then it kinda snowballs downwards from there (i didn't even mention some of the act 2 boss battles, which are also really annoying to deal with). i'll still replay it a lot of times, mind, since i really do have a soft spot for the mod, and i've finished it for far too many times to count. but man, the flaws become all the more glaring once you've played t enough times.
Trance

Post by Trance »

Any UK peeps wanna speak on Hurricane Ophelia? How are you holding up?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

The sky has been a peculiar shade of pink most of the day. I'm taking down my trampoline in a bit. I think we've missed the worst of it. It's kinda burnt out after Ireland.

Reference trampoline: I bought this big 10-foot thing for the kids. The last time winds were really bad here, it lifted 10ft off the ground and landed in someone's garden about 3 houses down the street. So far, it's not nearly as bad as that.
Last edited by Vostyok on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The sky here are sometimes orange, and i was like whooooa... But too bad it's Autumn now and it's not gonna happen again until it gets warmer!

But hey, climate rocks sometimes.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Hello, I'm still alive. Long time that I haven't posted a message here but who cares, right? :D
Well, now that I have a job recently, I won't have much time as before because I'll be tired everyday but it'll be worth it.
Trance

Post by Trance »

Anyone else massively disappointed in the Giant Robot Duel that just went out on Twitch?

3 years of hype for 20 minutes of staged, overcautious anticlimax.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Long periods of hype usually always result in disappointment, from webcomics to Giant Robot Duels.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Just plugged a 8 gig SODIMM bar in my laptop, trebling its RAM from 4 to 12 gigs. The best part is that according to this site my mobo was limited to 8 gigs (which is why I bought only one bar instead of two; I figured worst case if it didn't boot with 12 I could take out the 4 gigs bar and still double my memory). That means if needed I could buy another 8 gigs bar to replace the old 4 gigs one, reaching 16 gigs, and have a reasonable chance of it working, too.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I'm trying to stir up momentum for my Tumblr. Amazingly it's only a year old and it's deader than even my DeviantArt!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Trance wrote:Anyone else massively disappointed in the Giant Robot Duel that just went out on Twitch?

3 years of hype for 20 minutes of staged, overcautious anticlimax.
I never even heard of this thing, so I can't say I'm disappointed.

I just watched it now, and I gotta say, the results were as expected. Slow and seemingly anti-climactic, but I've seen other robot duels where the hits seemed to be just as slow, though they showed that the punches were actually thrown at a high velocity with high impact damage.

I knew that robotics are fairly slow at this moment. Taking that into account, I find it amazing that they were even able to do this stuff. I knew it was going to be slow combat, so that part didn't disappoint me. Really, what was more disappointing to me was the fact that neither team was very tactical.

In the first round (Iron Glory vs. KURATAS), Iron Glory fell like a little wimp because the MegaBots pilots decided to stay put. They didn't move at all. I would think it'd be common knowledge that when the enemy comes barrelling toward you, HAUL ASS. KURATAS may have been faster, but I'd think that Iron Glory would've at least been able to "sidestep" (I put it in quotes because none of these robots had actual feet) and then try to fire at KURATAS while it was passing through and turning around for another attack.

In the first half of the second round (Eagle Prime vs. KURATAS), things started looking up, as KURATAS actually took cover. Eagle Prime had the ranged advantage, the height advantage, AND the weight advantage, so KURATAS's tactic made perfect sense.

In the second half of the second round, KURATAS didn't circle-strafe around Eagle Prime when it was equipped with the rapid paintball cannon. I'm guessing they've never played Doom and won...

Once Eagle Prime was equipped with the chainsaw, it was strictly a melee robot at that point. KURATAS then had the ranged advantage. It shouldn't have tried to go in for the kill until it had expended all of its ammo.

I wonder if I'm being too harsh there... because it may very well be that the robots weren't nearly as maneuverable as I thought they'd be. Regardless, I love how this whole thing even manifested. :D
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

I killed Hitler.

(Might run through Eps 1-3 again and try to get 100%. Not looking forward to 4-6 though.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh yeah... I do remember the time when i killed the angel for the first time. :P
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Welp, my wife and my storage unit got broken into (they drilled the lock or used bolt cutters). Some priceless jewelry was stolen, a cello, a computer monitor. There are cameras and everything, we’ve already got a pretty good inventory and records of the missing jewelry, so there’s a real good chance of catching em and tracing our stuff. Still, Jesus Christ.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Draw my autoportret for memoir-autobiography at the last page of my graduate work.
Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic”