The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by leileilol »

Action Doom's title was a mod file called.......ACTION.MOD (surprise) originally made by Markus Merilainen in 1990.

The title of that song is "action on a street", which is also no surprise...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The level 1 music file references Contra even though the track is from Metal Slug.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that brings a lot of question and begging for some trivia of Action Doom. Since i'm one of those old Action-Loving coot out there, still supporting Scuba Steve! :P

So yeah, here are my Questions: Who is Markus Merilainen and why he's responsible making that ACTION.MOD thing? I'm positive that Doom was firstly released in 1993. Not whopping 1990!

And maybe Scuba Steve himself only will know, but he told me once about releasing Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl to Steam or something. Sadly i haven't heard any news from him recently. There will be another game of Action Doom? Or Steam Version of Urban Brawl?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Captain J wrote:So yeah, here are my Questions: Who is Markus Merilainen and why he's responsible making that ACTION.MOD thing? I'm positive that Doom was firstly released in 1993. Not whopping 1990!
https://modarchive.org/index.php?reques ... uery=93422 - It was composed independently of Action Doom, and in fact Doom itself.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

wildweasel wrote:
Captain J wrote:So yeah, here are my Questions: Who is Markus Merilainen and why he's responsible making that ACTION.MOD thing? I'm positive that Doom was firstly released in 1993. Not whopping 1990!
https://modarchive.org/index.php?reques ... uery=93422 - It was composed independently of Action Doom, and in fact Doom itself.
Thanks, this is what I needed.
GenericGenericness

Fan Theory: Link and Doomguy are the same person

Post by GenericGenericness »

I assume most of you people who are more likely more into Doom than me have already seen this...

But I will share anyways. If it has already been shared (or overshared) please forgive me.

GenericGenericness

Doom Games in a Nutshell

Second sharing... forgive me... I will stop here...

But this is the doom franchise in a nutshell I think... at least my humble view and opinion of it... be welcome to disagree and all of that.
Attachments
59a9abf02f5e6[1].jpeg
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Fan Theory: Link and Doomguy are the same person

Post by Kinsie »

Fan Theory: You're trying to increase your post count.
GenericGenericness

Re: Fan Theory: Link and Doomguy are the same person

Had an account here for more than a year or two it seems... I really don't think I am trying to simply increase post count.

More like I sincerely and genuinely enjoyed the video/take on the matter...

But... cool story bro.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't think those posts have enough potential to start entire discussions on their own, so I merged the threads into here instead. Looks a bit less spammy that way.
SouthernLion

Re: Doom Games in a Nutshell

Post by SouthernLion »

GenericGenericness wrote:Second sharing... forgive me... I will stop here...

But this is the doom franchise in a nutshell I think... at least my humble view and opinion of it... be welcome to disagree and all of that.
The Doom 64 and Doom 2016 ones literally make no sense at all.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, I don't really get those ones either.

Doom3 makes sense in as much as Homer has his eyes shut, so can't see anything - just like Doom3, but it looks far too exciting to be that game. :P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Doom 2016 one has Weapon Customization Feature(you put new things onto your weapon duh), and 64 one?... Well, i guess because the Weapon sound Effects are laser-pew-pew esq?

Anyway it's alright, GenericGenericness! We all can be clumsy at the very beginning.

EDIT: Recently drew this. I swear some Veteran Doom Community folks would recognize this fella!
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Oh my GOD, I LOVE this new RAMMSTEIN ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is so much old school Rammstein sound (lots of Kraftwerk influence in the Radio song shared earlier in this thread), and then you can hear so many different touches of their ranges over the years. And yet it all feels so new and fresh. I really hope they tour/play within an hour drive of me in America. (I have agoraphobia.) I've been playing this album over and over again beginning to end. They seriously didn't miss a beat with this release. I love all of their work, every song (not a fan of "Amerika", although I understand why they wrote it and objectively it is a good song even though I don't agree with the message*) so I get anxious when new work comes out, afraid it will not live up to their legacy. Kind of the same way all of us worried about Doom 4, or Doom 2016 (which it thankfully lived up to the hype.) Their previous album Liebe ist für alle da (2009) I think was their weakest release, although I still enjoyed it (and totally love 4-5 of the tracks on it.)

https://vimeo.com/336750188

Spoiler:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I will do a point release for the vintage build very soon, for now there are only a few fixes and i'm waiting for something big to appear (just in case).
And release another LZDoom version too.

Return to “Off-Topic”