The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
DoomKrakken

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by DoomKrakken »

Using newer GZDoom builds, I'm finding this error in many places...

"Self pointer used in ambiguous context; VM execution may abort!"

When going to the affected lines, I'm seeing that they have something to do with setting user variables, or jumping based on a user variable's value.

What does it mean?

Then there's also "Truncation of floating point constant <float>". What does this mean? :?
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

I need some help figuring out how to make a puzzle work in my map.

I'm trying to make a movable block puzzle or objects just like in tomb raider. How can I make a block movable or objects movable?
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

If you're looking to animate actual world geometry, try look up polyobjects in the wiki. If simple 2d things suffice, try the +PUSHABLE flag in decorate.
If tutorials aren't your thing, Xaser's turbo charged arcade made use of polyobjects quite a bit to animate Hitler, you could try snooping into its scripts if they are accessible at all.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I just learned that there exist the rarest bars of chocolate in the world... so rare, only 100 of them are made per year, and each individual two-ounce bar costs $343, and is wrapped in literal silver foil, and then packaged in a Spanish Elm wood box with a unique serial code for the bar itself. (facepalm)

It even comes with tongs, because apparently, you're not supposed to eat the bar with your bare hands. (double facepalm)

And then I see a guy sniffing it up, bringing in the aroma, while he goes on to explain that this is an experience.

Oh, the aristocracy...

All I'm saying is that if you're gonna be really into a bar of chocolate like that, calling it an "experience", one could assume that the bar is loaded with some super dank kush...

... just sayin'. 8-)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

See, even though I know that kind of exclusivity is completely artificial and in the end it's probably "just chocolate", I always wonder if indeed it would taste as good as it implies. For that kind of money, a fingernail-sized nibble better give me multiple orgasms and some kind of religious out-of-body experience.

8-)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

DoomKrakken wrote:Using newer GZDoom builds, I'm finding this error in many places...

When going to the affected lines, I'm seeing that they have something to do with setting user variables, or jumping based on a user variable's value.

What does it mean?

Then there's also "Truncation of floating point constant <float>". What does this mean? :?
It means that you are trying to access user variables from a weapon state. This was insufficiently checked in DECORATE and could cause crashes, but it's not reliably detectable so the compiler emits a warning when it thinks that it could lead to problems.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Graf Zahl wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:Using newer GZDoom builds, I'm finding this error in many places...

What does it mean?

It means that you are trying to access user variables from a weapon state. This was insufficiently checked in DECORATE and could cause crashes, but it's not reliably detectable so the compiler emits a warning when it thinks that it could lead to problems.
Except these are CustomInventory items that are showing the warning (more specifically, Propane Tanks and gold coins dropped from Midas statues in Guncaster). Do those also count?
Caligari87 wrote:See, even though I know that kind of exclusivity is completely artificial and in the end it's probably "just chocolate", I always wonder if indeed it would taste as good as it implies. For that kind of money, a fingernail-sized nibble better give me multiple orgasms and some kind of religious out-of-body experience.

8-)
In the chocolate bar's defense... the bars are made from some extremely rare cacao bean... so rare, people thought it was actually extinct, up until a few years ago. I forget the name of the cacao bean... but it's apparently well-known for being very aromatic and fragrant.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

At the end of the day, it is the exclusiveness you are paying for as well. Not everyone can obtain it, the rarity is prohibitive, etc. The price rises as the supply dwindles, or those who buy increasingly see the item as a luxury for "those who can obtain it".
If there is a big food shortage coming up though, things like this will be the first to sink.

And I'm more of a biscuit man myself :p
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I LOVE BISCUITS!!!! :D

Then again, I love a whole bunch of food... :D

Temporarily changing subject... do any of you know if there's a thread where we can ask questions about (G/Q)ZDoom? I'd hate to keep spamming this thread with questions about sourceport engines (though they do happen to be the topic of what I was last doing XD).
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Ther'es the How do I... Thread if you want to use it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I've used that a lot. I'm not sure they do too many "What Does This Mean...?" questions...
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If that's not the place for your question, you might just start a thread in General. It doesn't matter that it's just a small question.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Yeah, I would like to do that... I wanted to see if there was already a thread up for "What Does This Mean?" questions, so I don't create a redundant thread.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well, I meant a thread specifically for your question...
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah.

I'm not too fond of creating threads for every specific question I have. I find it horribly inefficient. However, if you think that's the best way to go, then I shall do it. :)

EDIT: I found a whole folder of handless versions of Neccronixis's weapons in my sprite folder... it was hiding in plain sight, and I had been waiting almost a whole year for something I already had!

Goodness gracious, I am inept! My apologies for continuously asking for handless versions...

(facedesk)

Return to “Off-Topic”