The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Hellsmith1

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Hellsmith1 »

Who ever here or has families that lives in Las Vegas my deepest sympathy goes out to you after the mass shouting in Las Vegas today.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

leileilol wrote:Supposedly there's only an hour left for the S3TC patent to expire in some parts of the world.

gzdoom/qzdoom dds loading when? Crunched, hi-res PNG texture abuse doesn't really work out for efficiency.
That could happen as early as tomorrow, theoretically. The texture manager converts all textures into an easy readable form by both the software and OpenGL renderers. All it would take is adding in a decoder and converting to the proper format. (I would have to check the source, but believe it's a simplified X-significant binary format where 0==transparency, but alpha channels are supported for truecolor)

Keep in mind that it requires a paletted version to be created as well but the RGB256k.All[r*64*64+g*64+b] table was created for that.

Send me a varied set of DDS textures and I'll probably get around to coding it when I am bored enough. ;P Or, if you go ahead and code it for Engoo, send me the source file.
Trance

Post by Trance »

YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Trance wrote:In other (bad) news: Tom Petty won't be coming around here no more.
goddammit, another one? first Jerry Lewis is dead, now this guy?
where is the world coming to? i mean seriously?!?
don't get me wrong, i liked Free Falling. but still...
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Rachael wrote:Or, if you go ahead and code it for Engoo, send me the source file.
Development on that ceased in 2013 and there really isn't any .DDS addons for Quake to justify it anyway

If anything, there's those dmmq3* maps OA could have support for. the dmmq3 maps were for a special vendor-locked DDS-supporting Quake3 version for S3 Savage2000 cards way back in jan 2000

In Gzdoom's use case though i'm just thinking about those who convert hi-poly/hi-res models from other games and awkwardly shoehorn it into gzdoom with a complete disregard for memory usage and texture cache, many PNGs being converted from a compressed DDS themselves
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

YukesVonFaust wrote:
Trance wrote:In other (bad) news: Tom Petty won't be coming around here no more.
goddammit, another one? first Jerry Lewis is dead, now this guy?
where is the world coming to? i mean seriously?!?
don't get me wrong, i liked Free Falling. but still...

Hang on you guys its not for sure that Tom Petty is dead yet because they just said that he on life support. So he might be gone but I don't know.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hellsmith1 wrote:Hang on you guys its not for sure that Tom Petty is dead yet because they just said that he on life support. So he might be gone but I don't know.
They already confirmed that he's been taken off life support after doctors saw no brain activity.
Hellsmith1

Post by Hellsmith1 »

wildweasel wrote:
Hellsmith1 wrote:Hang on you guys its not for sure that Tom Petty is dead yet because they just said that he on life support. So he might be gone but I don't know.
They already confirmed that he's been taken off life support after doctors saw no brain activity.
Dang it!

What's going on here? I'm confused hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes, then a mass shouting in Las Vegas then Jerry Lewis, Hugh Hefner, and now Tom Petty passed away.
This year is nothing but bad news all the way around, is someone trying to tell us something?
Trance

Post by Trance »

And no sign it's going to get better from here.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Hellsmith1 wrote:This year is nothing but bad news all the way around, is someone trying to tell us something?
I predicted from very early on that 2017 would be a bad year solely because of the arguments and divisiveness that was heavily nurtured in 2016. When people were calling out for 2016 to "finally end" and that the year could go straight to hell, I kept telling myself that it was only the start of things, of what was to come. I think anyone who thinks rationally and tries to connect historical patterns from a more disconnected perspective thought the same as I did. And so far, the only way I have been proven wrong is that I could never have predicted that the things that have occurred would happen to the extremes that they did - but somehow, they did.

And if I will be so bold, I will make another prediction: We're not even at the peak of this hill yet. Things have not yet come to a head. We're just getting used to the way things are, as shocking as they would have been only a couple years back, and it's getting worse. It will continue getting worse until we address some of these issues on a more massive scale - acknowledging that climate change is real, that the state of the American government and economy is an utter catastrophe, and that the real enemy in all of this is our own human nature. That is why people are dying here every single day - be it to police shootings, mass shootings, protests, hurricanes, murder, and even preventable sickness. What does this mean? 2016 had nothing on 2017. And guess what - 2017 has nothing on 2018. You think 2017 was bad? Just wait a year.

And none of that even acknowledges the real elephant in the room - the imminent threat of war with North Korea, and the two laughable (if not tragic) clowns we have perpetrating it. A perfect example of what can happen when you give any single man too much power. That, I believe, will end up being the most major tragedy we've ever seen in several centuries. I hope I am proven wrong. But as long as we all have our Facebook and our Twitter and our NFL we'll be okay, right? Too many people have this attitude of "as long as it doesn't affect me, it doesn't matter." Unfortunately, it does affect you, in more ways than you care to think, even if not immediately, but you will feel the long-term effects of it and it's going to hurt. I hope we don't go to war with North Korea. I hope that my predictions are wrong. I hope that we can finally start introducing some sanity into this daily madness that's been getting progressively worse every single day. I hope that my brothers and sisters in America can find a way to come together and share some common ground, to work together to solve some real issues that we have, rather than continuing this barbaric descent into insanity. 2016 was bad. 2017 was horrible. 2018? Please - just please - let the pendulum swing the other way. I'd like a good year.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Hey, people in the United Kingdom.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rs-in-jail
https://funnyjunk.com/channel/politics/ ... k/uYbtLhL/

I think this proves the point of the above post.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Eyup. We're not at the peak of this hill yet.

Instead, we're probably climbing up this hill and wishing not to fall into any holes hiding in the grass.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Undead wrote:Hey, people in the United Kingdom.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rs-in-jail
https://funnyjunk.com/channel/politics/ ... k/uYbtLhL/

I think this proves the point of the above post.
1984 was not an instruction manual dipshits.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Damn, I miss my PC. If everything goes well I might be able to buy a new PSU and some UPS, and just unplug the PC away during thunderstorms or severe typhoons since I don't even know if I can convince the building I live on to put some surge arresters (or even if they can in the first place and the concept that seems really foreign here) :(
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

My refurbished LG G4 arrived today! I haven't set it up to become my main phone yet, mainly because I want to move all the components over at once, and I'm not sure if I can just take it out of my Moto E2 and stick it in there, plus I want to see if I can get the Moto E2 unlocked when I do that since I'll be decommissioning it at that time with the intent to have a system that can play some games and little else. Might get another microSD card for it so I can still have all my music on there. Well, another reason I don't have it set up is because I want a wallet case for the thing as well and that isn't arriving until Tuesday. It'd be a shame if I broke it by mistake.

Return to “Off-Topic”