The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Captain J »

Holy J. Christ... You did really got struck by Lightning? I heard some old news about it, but i never knew this would happen in 2019. This means something. I'm not making this funny or something, but it's just extraordinary. I hope it's some kind of good sign because you're still alive and... Damn.

Thunder Strike and now Hurricane, too? That's really like Armageddon. Demons and their Worshipers are coming down for punishment on mankind but they stand against demons and worshipers in the name of the lord.

Don't give up, and hang in there. I know you can Survive all this.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

It didn't strike me directly, just within about 15-25 feet.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

So I spent the last few weeks getting all of the good NFS games (U2, MW05 and Carbon) up and running on my Win10 rig, 4K60 max settings, widescreen fixes, controller configs, the whole shebang, only for the latest mandatory Windows update to completely annihilate the framerate on all of them. Not even uninstalling the patch worked. Microsoft, THIS NEEDS TO FUCKING STOP YESTERDAY.

Absolutely raging.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I thought about converting a tabletop game to GZDoom; The Department is a tabletop skirmish/RPG that's set in a Bladerunner-like setting where you act as a special police operative trying to catch dangerous "fabricants" (replicants) in a near-future city.

My Doom Noir project, the very first Doom mod I ever worked on, features the same artstyle. This time around, I already had huge amounts of paper terrain since when I actualy played the TT version of the game so I converted some models and textures and made a small sample city map.

Based on this papercraft project:
Future Noir: Blade Runner & The Department.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looks very impressive! I love those vehicle crafts. And i wish your project could have some.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'm also pretty irritated at the latest Windows 10 update. i get lots of microstuttering in GZDoom that wasn't there before, and some levels seems to take considerably longer to load than they did before. i'm not happy about that.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I would suggest you to get rid of windows 10 but new hardware doesn't work with windows 7, so here is an illegal way of dealing with the thing:
Spoiler:
With every update it gets worse and worse, they're gonna deliberately worsen up windows 10 to shit to force its users to upgrade over windows 11, I'm pretty sure that's their new business model. The days when law worked in US regarding all that stuff came to the end when all that Snowden stuff occured, everyone just ranted for some while and now doesn't give a shit in the majority. Now companies may do whatever they want, countless updates, telemetry, mafia days are back.
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

Admiring the projectiles Valerie created for Eternity Blitz.
BFG 9,000,000,000
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BFG 9,000,000,000 »

Darkcrafter wrote:I would suggest you to get rid of windows 10 but new hardware doesn't work with windows 7, so here is an illegal way of dealing with the thing:
Spoiler:
With every update it gets worse and worse, they're gonna deliberately worsen up windows 10 to shit to force its users to upgrade over windows 11, I'm pretty sure that's their new business model. The days when law worked in US regarding all that stuff came to the end when all that Snowden stuff occured, everyone just ranted for some while and now doesn't give a shit in the majority. Now companies may do whatever they want, countless updates, telemetry, mafia days are back.
Unfortunatly, they aren't going to make a Windows 11, so people will keep having to deal with this crap. Bill Gates is filthy rich, and doesn't give a damn if they ruin Windows. I personally suggest switching to Ubuntu, and using wine for windows applications.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Maybe it's a destiny, I was playing a game yesterday and a talk on windows 10 occured, I don't know if it's true, but the guy on the other side claimed that it knows what's going on, I don't wanna tell you guys what exactly that person said to me, but seems like microsoft has a problematic staff, that wants more doing less. Regarding my question on why is it illegal to disable autoupdates in such a barbaric way that guy told me it's my computer and I can do whatever I want with software installed on it. Maybe microsoft started tracking me lol.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Darkcrafter wrote:Maybe it's a destiny, I was playing a game yesterday and a talk on windows 10 occured, I don't know if it's true, but the guy on the other side claimed that it knows what's going on, I don't wanna tell you guys what exactly that person said to me, but seems like microsoft has a problematic staff, that wants more doing less. Regarding my question on why is it illegal to disable autoupdates in such a barbaric way that guy told me it's my computer and I can do whatever I want with software installed on it. Maybe microsoft started tracking me lol.
Uh... forgive me if this seems a little embellished and far-fetched, to me.

At any rate, software license agreements may restrict what you can do to your computer, but it's possible to block both the tracking and the auto updates simply by setting your network connection to metered.

But beware: doing so is a huge security risk and leaves your computer vulnerable to exploits that Microsoft may have already fixed. It is extremely ill-advised to run on a metered connection unless you absolutely have to, or during mission-critical tasks where you cannot be interrupted by updates. At *LEAST* download the monthly rollups after every "black tuesday" if you choose to do this.

And if you choose to ignore me, throw caution to the wind, and not follow my advice: everyone has a right to call you an idiot. (Sorry, but only an idiot chooses to browse the internet with an unpatched system)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

With regards to Windows, you can't "do whatever you want to with it", since a) it's closed-source and always will be and b) new virus definitions and exploits come out almost constantly, as Rachael stated above. Eventually you'll end up squeezed between needing a vital update for a program you're currently using, and keeping compatibility for the older stuff you've been dragging around on your hard drive. Not fun.

Either pay the $100 odd for Pro version, switch to something like Linux, or deal with it like the rest of us. Sorry, but that's all the (sane) options you have.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Yeah that's sad, but if it's closed source how can we know if they provide not just fix for these vulnerabilities but also limit our hardware capabilities, if I understand correctly all this work on updates are there to make system better? It's like a lot of people hate these updates and even a microsoft employee advices me to delete the latest update. That's why I assume that developers do it wrong, intentionally or not, the fact is that for people bugs, stutters and lags appear after such an update procedure. Is it really worth to do it in a favor of mystical security which is not a big problem for me as I'm not doing anything special that would interest somebody, imagine if this system here is just for games. I scan my computer for viruses regularly and check out vulnerable places from time to time, I can reinstall the whole system from a scratch if needed, not a big deal. Even if some system that is on my line send some spam or something bad to the network there is a lot of obstacles on their way before they reach an adresse.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Darkcrafter wrote:Yeah that's sad, but if it's closed source how can we know if they provide not just fix for these vulnerabilities but also limit our hardware capabilities, if I understand correctly all this work on updates are there to make system better? It's like a lot of people hate these updates and even a microsoft employee advices me to delete the latest update. That's why I assume that developers do it wrong, intentionally or not, the fact is that for people bugs, stutters and lags appear after such an update procedure. Is it really worth to do it in a favor of mystical security which is not a big problem for me as I'm not doing anything special that would interest somebody, imagine if this system here is just for games. I scan my computer for viruses regularly and check out vulnerable places from time to time, I can reinstall the whole system from a scratch if needed, not a big deal. Even if some system that is on my line send some spam or something bad to the network there is a lot of obstacles on their way before they reach an adresse.
I wonder, do you self compile all of your Linux updates? Can't be sure they're all perfectly secure unless you vet them yourself...
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I'm not using Linux as I'm not familiar with coding at all, and I couldn't compile even hello world thing lol. I can do some visual programming though.
Edit: I find ACS thing pretty interesting, I already suceeded with a 3d floor based door, but I got to find out how to add sound in there.

Return to “Off-Topic”