InsanityBringer

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by InsanityBringer »

i am so not ready for spaceflight
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Inertial dampeners have malfunctioned, caption. We're adrift!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'd marry with my money, for sure(and daaaw he don't scream when he falls).
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Just watched SethBling jailbreak a Super Mario World cart. Plus he can install it to another Super MArio World cart without the multitaps now. It comes with a full hex editor and some code that allows someone to install a mod that runs every frame, so stuff like double jump and telekenesis is totally possible on original hardware.

I hear he plans to sell softmodded SMW carts. This is just mental!
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

That's nuts, and has my attention. Though there is a video thread for that kind of stuff (unless it was a stream you watched), so linking to the video in the WTF/funny/interesting videos thread would be mightily appreciated.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Since Gzdoom is GPL now that means I can knock off its tonemap shaders right?

Testing them out here... note that overbrights are still in play so that may/may not affect them adversely.
Spoiler: there are eight breasts in this picture.
I'm also curious to try them out in a fixed function path (applying a tonemap lookup to the texture loader for lightmap/textures, or model shading routines)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can personally only really stand the right 2 - the "bagel dawson" as you call it looks ugly. I think the bottom right one looks the best.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

I recorded this little gameplay of the alpha from La-Mulana 2 I'm currently testing, as there's currently nothing in this planet that can contain my hype for the final release.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Jimmy wrote:That's nuts, and has my attention. Though there is a video thread for that kind of stuff (unless it was a stream you watched), so linking to the video in the WTF/funny/interesting videos thread would be mightily appreciated.
He just released an explanation video today two hours ago, so I've linked that video in the Funny/WTF videos thread.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Damn, just been reading about Intel's new CPUs. I want to try the software renderer with that 12 core / 24 thread CPU. Could it finally defeat Frozen Time? :D

Edit: some articles even mention a 16 C / 32 T CPU - oh yeah, baby! 4x theoretical speed increase compared to my current i7!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

In good time, my friend. :)

I can't wait either but I am sure it's going to be at least 5 years before I can afford a system with a CPU like that.

Although, it does concern me that we may be getting to a point where clock speed is the real limiter, and simply throwing more cores at it isn't going to do much of anything in real practical use.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

We are already there. Several larger ZDoom mods already accumulate 5-6 ms think time per frame. I think it's far more important to separate the playsim from the renderer than to throw even more cores onto the renderer
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

While we're on that, I've been trying to think of the best way to do that. I guess the "easiest" (lazy) way is to simply reiterate the actor classes for their renderer copies, but a more practical way (and with less overhead) might be to redefine render object classes for each visible thinker with only their "visible" variables (XYZ, spritenum, renderstyle, etc) and cross-link them to their gamesim counterparts and back. This would still allow for tracking important changes in the gamesim that need to be sync'd.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

If you guys make the decorate/acs/zscript part thread friendly I'd be happy with my emulated raiycast being faster :p
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Rachael wrote:In good time, my friend. :)

I can't wait either but I am sure it's going to be at least 5 years before I can afford a system with a CPU like that.
Ah, but I never meant whether it was affordable or made sense in any way. I'm just curious to what the performance would actually be. Part of the fun for me with the software renderer and softpoly has been to try see how a modern CPU performs if its maxed out. :)
Rachael wrote:Although, it does concern me that we may be getting to a point where clock speed is the real limiter, and simply throwing more cores at it isn't going to do much of anything in real practical use.
I think precisely because more cores will not provide that much practical use we've been stuck at 4 cores for consumer hardware. It has been more worth it for Intel to improve the single core performance, but they've sort of started to get diminishing results there. This new generation is only about 10% faster than my current CPU when it comes to single threaded tasks.
Graf Zahl wrote:We are already there. Several larger ZDoom mods already accumulate 5-6 ms think time per frame. I think it's far more important to separate the playsim from the renderer than to throw even more cores onto the renderer
Unfortunately also a lot harder to do. :( What's worse, having some frames take 5-6 ms longer than other frames can create nasty micro-stuttering effects.

Return to “Off-Topic”