The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by irontusk341 »

Captain J wrote:What do you mean by that? Is it Zygo?
SgtMarkIV ripped not only the video which showed his mod, but the textures used in the mod made by another user. Both Hoover and I clarified the issue to SM4. As far as i know its been resolved.

Of course im on my work "Weekend" been getting caught up on conversations i missed.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Many of you will have seen these, but I just watched them:

I found the second one more interesting. I think I already knew just about everything that was in the first video (and it also incorrectly states that Doom uses cyan as transparent :evil: - though this is acknowledged as being a later convention in editing tools in the comments). It still has lots of interesting stuff though.
Strange that it didn't mention the original source of the cacodemon though.
Spoiler:

I found the second one more interesting simply because it had a few more things in it that I didn't already know. Like, for example, the original source of the PANEL5 picture:
Spoiler:
(Though it neglects to mention that a higher resolution version can be found in Shadowcaster (as can at least one of the gargyole-like wall reliefs).)
Spoiler:
Both vids are worth watching though (as are others in the channel).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ8V9a ... Vn0ix5v8RQ

[edit]

Also, much coolness (as far as I am concerned anyway).

This is from the video:

and I just had a rake in my loft...
Yup, same toy. I knew that I had one at some point, but wasn't sure if I still had it. It turns out that I do. :biggrin: I always wanted the shotgun but I bought this chaingun years ago as a prop for a modern LARP and had no idea at the time that it was Doom related. Yay me or something.

[/edit]
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Already seen this, and i found those facts very impressive and immersive still. Actually using Toy Guns as Game Sprite and make it badass instead of childish looking? Well Chaingun maybe look comically big, but they did their best polishing it.

Very awesome that you have it. Perhaps make an actual angled Chaingun sprite if you have time? ;)

And here's the recent animation!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Captain J wrote:Perhaps make an actual angled Chaingun sprite if you have time? ;)
Unlikely to have the time in the immediate future. :?

I'm not a fan of angled sprites anyway. Centred sprites are much better IMO. I'm happy to take more pics of someone wants them but the game sprite has had so much editing done to it that I suspect it might be just as easy for anyone with the right skills to simply draw something from scratch.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yeah, i get that. I do wonder how the player handles guns and weapons with such clearly-centered angle, but i can't argue that this was the alpha and omega of all retro weapons and whatnot.

And of course i didn't mean to request you but just horsing around!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:(Though it neglects to mention that a higher resolution version can be found in Shadowcaster (as can at least one of the gargyole-like wall reliefs).)
Spoiler:

Speaking of Shadowcaster, here are some more textures from it:
Spoiler:
You can see the first at 0:21, the second t 1:08. I dunno about the third, but I'm pretty sure the fourth is also from a photo of a sculpture somewhere, and the fifth is probably based on a real painting too.

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's textures from another old favorite of mine, Daggerfall.
Spoiler:
You can see our lion friend has been very successful, but the Rodin museum satyr got a low-key participation too. And a few other friendly faces that can be glimpsed in that gargoyle book.
irontusk341

Post by irontusk341 »

im looking for some writing help... Say in the novel you're briefed on say operation phantom fury and the next chapter talks about the 2nd battle of fallujah, how do you fill that gap in between? i dont know i wasnt there, but i need some filler for my book.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just watched Doom Annihilation. I expected it to be awful. That probably helped because I thought that it was OK.

I mean, not great. It creaks at the seams, the low budget is obvious, the CGI looks like it was done in 1997 in places and the screenplay feels as if it was written by someone who just scraped a pass in screen-writing 101 and who wanted to plagiarise Aliens as much as possible too but, yeah, it was OK. It was fun enough to watch and felt more like the game than the Karl Urban Doom from 2005. I actually thought it had some nice ideas in it and some were even quite well realised.

I still think Event Horizon feels more like a Doom movie than any of the actual Doom releases though:- at least the space/teleports/horror/hell parts of the story if not the monsters and gunplay (due to a lack of them).
irontusk341

Post by irontusk341 »

Enjay wrote:I just watched Doom Annihilation. I expected it to be awful. That probably helped because I thought that it was OK.

I mean, not great. It creaks at the seams, the low budget is obvious, the CGI looks like it was done in 1997 in places and the screenplay feels as if it was written by someone who just scraped a pass in screen-writing 101 and who wanted to plagiarise Aliens as much as possible too but, yeah, it was OK. It was fun enough to watch and felt more like the game than the Karl Urban Doom from 2005. I actually thought it had some nice ideas in it and some were even quite well realised.

I still think Event Horizon feels more like a Doom movie than any of the actual Doom releases though:- at least the space/teleports/horror/hell parts of the story if not the monsters and gunplay (due to a lack of them).
Theres a movie that kind of reminds me doom, but it was made before the game in 1993. It was called The Gate (1987) and towards the end of the movie, gave me Doom 2 vibes...
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay: would be cool to experiment with that toy; taking alternate angles and Photo-frankensteining it into a completely new weapon. :) I imagine you'd be able to make some wacky energy weapon designs with that gun alone, or even some tech wall textures or something.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'll probably take a look at it at some point. Using the same base as id is quite a cool idea. However, my graphics skills are definitely waaaay, waaaaaaay below those of Adrian Carmack or Kevin Cloud so I think converting photos into art that is consistent with Doom may be beyond me.

I could go really old school and try using my copy of DPaint to do the editing to really re-live the id Software 1993 experience. ;)

Mind you, from the video, it looks as if id already photographed and used all of the interesting bits already for textures, world sprites and HUD sprites.
irontusk341

Post by irontusk341 »

Working on my second novel, So far Chapter 13, “Into Sandy’s City” of my second novel “Hour of The Wolf” is done and ready for reading. Let me know what you think.

Synopsis: A night time battle into Fallujah brings urban warfare to a whole new level for Jonas, as they are ambushed by one of the first buildings occupied by insurgents only to find out the whole city is one big bees nest”

The chapter is a nod to Doom 2’s Song Into Sandys City”

https://www.inkitt.com/stories/action/4 ... hapters/13
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Me, I'm in the midst of watching sales videos for a course. Not terribly exciting, but still.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

playing some hellcore with a ton of assets that makes up my own private little doom heavens.... the hellcore wad itself is vanilla

there are some of enjays stuff in my personal mix also.. as evident of the icons.. hehe... and

yes, thats the driveable patton tank from sgt mark ivs vietdoom parked over there, spawned in with console and driven inside the building while the door was open

also the player is corvus using heretic weapons, but being able to load hexen, heretic and doom levels without texture issues

will not release a mod with this though, since all the cool stuff is from various other peoples mods and I am just using those assets on my own personal pc for my own personal amusement to enhance my personal gameplay experiences of doom levels

I do hope though, that the vietnam tanks in sgt mark ivs vietdoom could evolve in to a 3d tank resource pack (all the enemy tanks, all the driveable tanks, all the friendly tanks with each their own ID numbers ready for insertion into any map) where others could use the tanks in other projects or other vietnam based mods, as long as all proper credits are observed

----

it seems I am not a very good mapper, but I will be making a megawad nonetheless ... in a classic style but with a more modern editor for finer control of the mapping process...
the maps I released from the 90s were in fact made in a very old dos editor ... an editor barely more advanced than making the level in a hex editor...
despite my apparent bad mapping skills... I do hope some people will get to enjoy my first megawad if/when I complete it and release it

if I am somehow able to learn from the vehicle code made by sgt mark iv in his various very nice projects, then I will attempt to make my own 3d vehicles for possible use in such a megawad

yesterday I decided to return to playing doom after not touching doom for about 6 months...
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

CBM wrote:playing some hellcore with a ton of assets that makes up my own private little doom heavens.... the hellcore wad itself is vanilla

there are some of enjays stuff in my personal mix also.. as evident of the icons.. hehe... and

yes, thats the driveable patton tank from sgt mark ivs vietdoom parked over there, spawned in with console and driven inside the building while the door was open

also the player is corvus using heretic weapons, but being able to load hexen, heretic and doom levels without texture issues

will not release a mod with this though, since all the cool stuff is from various other peoples mods and I am just using those assets on my own personal pc for my own personal amusement to enhance my personal gameplay experiences of doom levels

I do hope though, that the vietnam tanks in sgt mark ivs vietdoom could evolve in to a 3d tank resource pack (all the enemy tanks, all the driveable tanks, all the friendly tanks with each their own ID numbers ready for insertion into any map) where others could use the tanks in other projects or other vietnam based mods, as long as all proper credits are observed

----

it seems I am not a very good mapper, but I will be making a megawad nonetheless ... in a classic style but with a more modern editor for finer control of the mapping process...
the maps I released from the 90s were in fact made in a very old dos editor ... an editor barely more advanced than making the level in a hex editor...
despite my apparent bad mapping skills... I do hope some people will get to enjoy my first megawad if/when I complete it and release it

if I am somehow able to learn from the vehicle code made by sgt mark iv in his various very nice projects, then I will attempt to make my own 3d vehicles for possible use in such a megawad

yesterday I decided to return to playing doom after not touching doom for about 6 months...
just added brutal friends to the mix, so now I can summon a squad of soldiers, a friendly tank, a helicopter to pilot and a random us tank to pilot... without the console...

now I just need to find as many maps as possible that allows me to drive around in a tank or fly around in a chopper :D

Return to “Off-Topic”