The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Wiw »

wildweasel wrote:Hmm. Well, that string comes up because I internally replaced "YOU GOT A PICKUP" with it. Which makes me wonder if, perhaps, you're seeing it because an item that used to have sprites and Language strings no longer has access to its data. I'll have to look into it when I get home...along with a hundred other things, I'm sure.
I tried it on a couple of other IWADs too. None of them worked very well, aside from Chex Quest, and even then it's just the weapons. Oh, it works fine with Freedoom.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

The only school I never want to leave is the boxing ring. Too bad I'm way out of shape to compete, but I'm learning plenty about making my own equipment! And working up a sweat while I do it.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i saw Slayer perform live at a carnival in Stockholm today. absolutely brutal performance from start to end. this is the first time i've seen them live, and i really enjoyed it. and yes, they DID play South of Heaven. :D i was hoping they'd do Behind The Crooked Cross, but otherwise i couldn't complain (well, the mid-range was reaaally screechy, and it could get a bit abrasive, but the volume wasn't too unpleasant for me).
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i saw Slayer perform live at a carnival in Stockholm today. absolutely brutal performance from start to end. this is the first time i've seen them live, and i really enjoyed it. and yes, they DID play South of Heaven. :D i was hoping they'd do Behind The Crooked Cross, but otherwise i couldn't complain (well, the mid-range was reaaally screechy, and it could get a bit abrasive, but the volume wasn't too unpleasant for me).
Rammstein is my favorite band, especially live (many awards for their theatrics), but Slayer is a name that sends chills down my spine. I've seen some of their live videos, and Jesus Christ. I'm jealous you got to see them in person. That band is on my list of acts I want to see live. If you want fucking heavy rock (metal, whatever, I'm not getting into a genre argument), you think Slayer.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Wiw wrote:Well, I was playing "Nazis!" in Heretic... it kind of works! It changes the weapons, but not the monsters. And there are these invisible things that bring up that message.
Interesting... Now i'm wondering, is anyone tried to run this mod with Strife?
Bitterman

Post by Bitterman »

I finished Strife! Well sorta. Since my game was broken (as explained before) I had to choose the story option which cuts out some of the last few areas of the game. Beating the game, if that's what you call it because I got the worst ending haha, was kind of a relief, since I felt like the game had gotten repetitive. Five hours into the game I was still getting my arse kicked by those ridiculous flying drones, and the spiders serve as a huge inconvenience rather than a true enemy. The hitscan attacks of the acolytes and templars (especially the templars) can make the game pretty difficult when you're being shot from across the map.
Strife is a solid game however, the action is great when it satisfies the feeling of epic adventure. That's what makes this stand out from Doom and the others. However there are many times when the game relies too heavily on genre tropes of artificial difficulty (by placing more enemies and less resources in between) and labyrinthine level design.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

There is nothing quite like searching my name with a space in between and reminding myself of the creepy crazy I once found doing so.

There are 5 or 6 generated files exactly like this, which I believe are mixed together to create an even creepier result at the end.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Captain J wrote:
Wiw wrote:Well, I was playing "Nazis!" in Heretic... it kind of works! It changes the weapons, but not the monsters. And there are these invisible things that bring up that message.
Interesting... Now i'm wondering, is anyone tried to run this mod with Strife?
Yes, the weapons appear there, too.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

DoomKrakken wrote:I'm trying to look into a mechanic called "smooth sweeping". In D4T, the spriters attached the lightning stream fired by the Lightning Gun to the actual weapon sprite, because attempting to fire actual missiles from the thing would result in one end (the one that comes out of the gun) bobbing up and down, so most of the time it doesn't even look like it's coming out of the gun (although, the other end winds up landing in the exact same spot). I don't like it, but I like this seemingly bobbing movement of the projectiles even less. This has to do with the player's movebob, and I think it would require a faster render time. It'd be nice if there were a way to make attacks fired from the gun be affected by the player's movebob (but also have it so that it lands in the exact same spot as though the player weren't moving, if he didn't change his aim).
Well, when I mention smooth sweeping, i mean this:
WARNING: Crazy aiming left and right, up and down. Might get motion sickness.

(quake 3, quake 3 TA, quake live, quake 1 dark places, quake 1 dark places + smooth sweeping)

The reason why the lightning beam is attached to the HUD sprite itself, the "sweeping" part. Because of the doom game world (sim?) runs at 35 frames per second, even when you have 35 rails that last one tic, if your game runs at 60fps (and gzdoom tends to run at much more than that), there's 25 frames per seconds where the rails are behind (or ahead?) your aiming. Seen here:

In the first clip you see my take on the LG.
In the second clip, you see the 35 rails per second take on the LG
In the third clip, you see both combined and you can clearly see how the visual effects looks like it lags and you see the spaces between where a rail was and where your aim is.

When I added the beam to the HUD sprite, no matter if your framerate is 5 or 500 fps, the beam will always be in place of your aim/xhair.

Now, for a real beam, I dont believe the solution is to make the gamesim run at higher framerates, but to add interpolation to the shots. Im quite aware that whether I use actual world rails or HUD beam, the game is still hitting the same amout of "hits" in the same spots with either method. But as a visual thing, it makes a world of difference when you're tracking targets. The perfect albeit exaggerated example is that of quake 1 in the 1st video. The normal version is really choppy. The smoot sweep is, well, smooth, and you can see by the decals that the shots are hitting slowly, so it doesnt "attack" more, it just adds interpolation between the shots, and that's where the whole "smooth sweep" comes from.

This was an issue in Doom2016 too, where visual feedback messed me up. In D2016 your LG has perfect interpolation, but the beam is so thin, and the puff has this "growing" animation, that by the time you see it appearing, it feels like it's lagging. You're aiming at (abstract) points "22", "23", "24", but by the time your aim reaches "25", the gun puff is actually visible in "22". So, instinctively, it feels like your gun has that delay, so you try to compensate to the visual feedback, and you end up aiming all wrong because of that terrible visual feedback. Yep, Im picky about my lightning guns :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I see.

Will it be possible to do "interpolation" of shots in GZDoom sometime soon, devs, like what DBT is suggesting here?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Finished uploading and publishing my Dark Souls 3 boss attempt videos. :D

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... pP_bqz7nmH
Nash

Post by Nash »

Re: interpolation, perhaps a dev can correct me if I'm wrong but - from a completely technical view, GZDoom isn't doing anything wrong... the game sim is running at 35 Hz, the firing code pointers are called every 35 tics, so that's why it looks jumpy like that.

Only the CAMERA is interpolated and technically, it's hiding the engine's limitation from you, the player. :D There's a lot of things that camera interpolation is hiding from you. For example, did you know that it's because of interpolation that you do not see your view jump violently when you climb up stairs? There is some render-only code applied to the camera that smoothens Z-axis transitions... which, for some reason, is only applied when in first person view. Try running up steps with the chase camera on (maybe Doom 2 MAP16, the starting room), and you will see what your FP view would have looked like without interpolation trickery. :D

So, going back to the laser projectile issue... I don't think it's easy to solve because the render code (what you see on the screen), and the game sim code (the code that's firing the projectiles) aren't really running at the same cycle rate. DBThanatos mentioned that interpolation should be applied to the fired shots... but how is this going to work deterministically? What if one player has a framerate of 60, while the other is running at 120? And another poor guy who's struggling to get the game to even run at 60?

MAYBE if GZDoom is changed to client/server architecture, you can get the beams to RENDER with interpolation on the client (but the actual shots in the game sim will probably still have to remain in 35 Hz territory)...
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, Major Cooke managed at some point, i think it's used in D4D, to make the world actors A_warp and interpolation with the player movement, so while side-strafing, it looked really smooth because all the actors in the beam moved with you, however, when aiming around ast, that's when it would show this issue of the beam being jumpy.

Now, I have zero idea of how any engine works, but my main point with the interpolation was the thing that darkplaces did (1st vid last clips). How did they do it? no idea :P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Sounds good... it's the visual aspect that seems to be the issue, so if the beam can at least can render with interpolation on the client, like Nash said, then that should look fine. Question is, how would one achieve that? Can actors interpolate smoothly like the player's camera?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Got initial sketches from an artist for the cover art of my novel. I had a goofy nerdgasm freak out because of how perfect to my mind's eye their faces all were. Still kinda freaking out! Also about to start the big finale of the novel, after which I'll be able to start posting snippets.

For all updates and such, I've got a public author page: https://m.facebook.com/dylanwaynesanchezauthor/

Follow, share, blah blah blah

Return to “Off-Topic”