The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by NeuralStunner »

I was playing DOOM (2016) and kept getting hangs from low memory once the maps started getting bigger. Finally got my rear in gear and bought a 16GB upgrade, which I put in today. Along with my new 1050 Ti. I'm back in the game. :twisted:
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

Congrats on that! Btw, having just one 8gb stick of G.Skill 2400 cl15, all fine with Doom 2016 and Eternal :rock:
I want to get badly a good matched pair of 3200MHz CL16 sticks in computeruniverse when this gdmn pandemy ends
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i played both with an underspecced rig
D4 ran well enough, but DE is made with some forbidden knowledge from the techronomicon
bigger and prettier, yet runs better and loads faster on the same hardware, and 4 years later
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

You know maybe there is something wrong with my system, but Doom Eternal doesn't fry my graphics card like Doom 2016 does! The CPU doesn't seem to be a bottleneck here? I think actually Doom Eternal indeed looks better but it for sure needs a better system. They ditched megatextures finally. But I don't like the new style, which was supposedly done to look more like vanilla classic doom I don't agree and think that Doom 2016 style fits the game better.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

comet1337 wrote:D4 ran well enough, but DE is made with some forbidden knowledge from the techronomicon
bigger and prettier, yet runs better and loads faster on the same hardware, and 4 years later
That gives me hope then, I've been concerned that my CPU won't be able to handle it without overclocking the thing.

Also the texture streaming tech in this engine is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I feel like open world games would be incredible with that kind of on-demand processing.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I'm sorry to say this but Doom Eternal seems to be much more demanding for specs. Compared to Doom 2016, I seen a higher load on CPU and GPU. Don't listen to people saying GTX 1060 is a perfect choice for Doom Eternal, it can drop to 30 FPS during intensive fights and spectacular scenes like that super nest gore it immediately dropped to 30. Also if you updated your nvidia driver, download nvidia profile inspector and pick "Doom Eternal" from the profiles list as it helped me to gain 15% more performance, I don't know why.

I also compared the benchmark results of my GPU which is this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/c ... 0-oc.b5464 and it performs a bit better than "as expected".
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/04/13/hta.png

Also the graphics settings don't seem to affect the overall look a lot, I tried all modes and the biggest difference was lighting, water and reflection quality. Mesh quality only determines the LOD bias apparently.

So, definitely Doom Eternal graphics is better than Doom 2016 but it comes with price.
Gez

Post by Gez »

DE's performance boost was apparently a result of dropping megatextures.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

friend said he was having performance problems with DE until he switched the game to his screens native resolution
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Sometimes, separation makes the heart grow fonder... I hope that’s true.😔
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Doom Eternal ran surprisingly well on my machine, which is not meeting the requirements the game wants (i5 6400 and GTX 960). and yet, the game ran like 99% in 60FPS in 1080p. i found out that it's almost entirely thanks to the dynamic resolution scaling, which when turned on gave quite a noticeable boost to performance. it runs so well with it on that i'm convinced it's witchcraft of some sort, because i have no idea how it knows the best outcome for every part of the game. that's not to say it was a flawless 60FPS all the time, but the only times it dipped i can count on one hand (the turret sections in the city, killing too many things with the BFG in the BFG10k stage, the part with two titans being chained in the background, although it went away after they were gone.)
42_the_Gamer
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

This is the monster that didn't make it into Doom Eternal.
(Credits: Doom 64 and Freedoom.)
Attachments
centurimech-1.png.png
centurimech-1.png.png (11.34 KiB) Viewed 687 times
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Gez wrote:DE's performance boost was apparently a result of dropping megatextures.
Weird because that was a claim that was made for Doom2016 then...
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Digital Foundry's tech review claims they removed the virtual texturing implementation in favor of a new texture streaming system with highly enhanced decals being used to add variance, though it doesn't really go into details about the new stuff.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I must apologize here, I was getting 30 FPS due to a bad power supply, I replaced it with a better one and now it's 60 FPS in the same places :oops:

Anyway, Doom 2016 was times faster regardless of engine used the card runs super hot with it unless FPS cap is there.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Why hate Wilbur while the islands he land on are all desolated already

Return to “Off-Topic”