The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Kinsie wrote:
The Forum Rules wrote:ZDoom is not a religious/political debate platform anymore. Because we've had big problems with users coming to blows over religious and political issues many times in the past, we've decided that it's better that nobody discuss them at all. If you want to talk about your day at church, you might be okay. Similarly, declarations that "I voted!" are probably also okay. But serious political and religious debates usually end badly, with many users getting warned or banned for poor behavior, so any threads that attempt to start such will be closed on sight.
A little vent on how this is basically his daily life, I think should get a free pass. But hey, I'm not a moderator.
Goldenflare5643

Post by Goldenflare5643 »

Off topic-ish but how did people get doom wads like nuts.wad back in the ninetys. How developed was the internet back then? My dad talks about how he used to play nuts.wad and how his favorite thing to do was get more wads to play, but he doesn't remember how he got them, or where he got them.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

By 1996 the internet was extremely well developed and quite commercialized. Before then, people used to dial-in to BBS's and news groups and that was "the internet" back then. Internet access has been available to us regular people since at least 1993 though, if not before, it just wasn't used like it is today, it was mostly for universities to talk to one another. So yes, it was quite easy to get nuts.wad, even back then.

Doom had some dedicated boards and news groups, but I never was a part of them. I know there's a few people still here who were, though.

Back in the 90's though, we had AOL Instant Messenger ... instead of Twitter. :P
Goldenflare5643

Post by Goldenflare5643 »

Rachael wrote:By 1996 the internet was extremely well developed and quite commercialized. Before then, people used to dial-in to BBS's and news groups and that was "the internet" back then. Internet access has been available to us regular people since at least 1993 though, if not before, it just wasn't used like it is today, it was mostly for universities to talk to one another. So yes, it was quite easy to get nuts.wad, even back then.

Doom had some dedicated boards and news groups, but I never was a part of them. I know there's a few people still here who were, though.

Back in the 90's though, we had AOL Instant Messenger ... instead of Twitter. :P
Do you think any of the sites for doom that were popular back then still exist? hmm hello yes i know that doomworld exsists but is there any others?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

In the Doom community, Doomworld is about the only one that has survived as far as I know, but even in terms of the era we're talking about it was pretty new. I don't know of any sites that may have existed before Doomworld that might still be in operation, though.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I still remember those old BBS days, that's where I got my first levels from in 1994. I got my first internet connection in 1996 but back then it was not really possible to be constantly connected as it was billed by the minute and quite a bit more expensive than what we are used to now.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

I was a few years too young to be part of the BBS craze, but, over the years having read up on the tales of the 80's and mod musicians, it once again proved for me i was born a decade too late, haha. Any time i find something on the 80's and early 90's i am like, oh, how glorious those times must have been.

So i have nothing but respect for the ''oldskoolers''. That includes Graf who started out in 1984 on the C64. :lol:

To add to the thread:
In regards to Doom, establishing contacts with various Doom authors both new and old and talk to them about their contributions to the community from the past, and which will be pushed to the respective Wiki's.

On that note, since he is a user here, i'd like to thank dpJudas publicly for his contributions in our PM conversation. Some really great and valuable insight was shared regarding his contributive work for ZDoom and GZDoom. Information is one of the most valuable things in whatever position you may be in, so dpJudas, thank you for sharing some of yours. :wink:
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Hehe, you're welcome. If Graf started on the C64, then you could say I started on the ZX Spectrum+, the Apple IIe and the IBM PS/2 Model 30! :)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The earliest wads i've obtained was through Qmodeming to a BBS too. Doom.wad was shortly inundated with an implied T-800 shooting up daleks and nazis on mars. the true early 94 doom addon experience
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

Hey guys, please advise me, should I go for GTX 970 4gb or GTX 1060 6gb? I'd like to play GZDoom with all fancies and some modern games without blurry textures in 1080p.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Puffer fish are the most weirdest, deadliest, yet the cutest being on earth. Despite the poison and all, would you even give it a try?
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Hey guys, please advise me, should I go for GTX 970 4gb or GTX 1060 6gb? I'd like to play GZDoom with all fancies and some modern games without blurry textures in 1080p.
GTX 1060 6GB has more threads than the 970 which should process more textures... But if money is an issue, then the 970 is the way to go.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

irontusk341 wrote:
Darkcrafter wrote:Hey guys, please advise me, should I go for GTX 970 4gb or GTX 1060 6gb? I'd like to play GZDoom with all fancies and some modern games without blurry textures in 1080p.
GTX 1060 6GB has more threads than the 970 which should process more textures... But if money is an issue, then the 970 is the way to go.
Thanks a lot.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

Hey guys, sorry for breaking the rules of the forum but i wast just so enraged about whats happening here but i will stay out of politics in the forum.

Recently i have returned to mod C&C Generals Zero Hour, and its really fun to add new units, special powers, super weapons and SFX to the game to make it refreshing, the mod i am doing now its a redux of a old mod called A Global Crisis, adding units and stuff, my favorite Generals could be Dr Thrax, Tao and Kwai and i have focused more on them. I also added new music to the factions like the GLA having the Prince of Persia 2 music and China using RA2 music.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The Philosopher wrote:Hey guys, sorry for breaking the rules of the forum but i wast just so enraged about whats happening here but i will stay out of politics in the forum.
It's fine, little rants are okay in my opinion, and a few others seem to agree. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”