The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The WIP Thread

Postby InsanityBringer » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 am

dpJudas wrote:I don't know why it didn't work before for you, or why Doom might have opted for using multiple UDP ports. But just to help clarify how UDP sockets works: an UDP socket is listening on a single port. Anything the socket sends will have that port as its source port. Anything the computer receives on that port will be received regardless of what the sender IP and port was. If you don't bind a listen port explicitly, the system will pick a free port number the first time you send a message from the socket.

In other words, when you call recvfrom on an UDP socket you'll get the information (IP address and port) about where the message was sent from. You can have multiple other peers sending to your socket where you can use their IP+port for looking up which peer it came from. And you can send messages back to each of those without needing a port for each, by supplying the IP+port of the destination when you call sendto.

now things are starting to make more sense. I have something that seems to run somewhat reliably on a LAN so far, but there's still a lot of testing and the like I need to do to ensure reliably, and then I need to beat the actual netcode into shape to excise all the remaining IPX assumptions.

Also I ended up implementing this with Winsock, since I looked at things like SDL_net and saw there's only like 10 functions I'd be calling in a UDP environment, so I figured it would be easy to roll manually for each platform. Though this was the right choice, it's been slightly annoying since the Winsock documentation is full of holes, missing data, TBDs, and so on. That was fun to deal with...
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby dpJudas » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:29 am

Glad to hear you're making progress, InsanityBringer. Descent was my favorite multiplayer game until UT99 came out - I have a lot of fond memories from playing it with my friends. :)

On a different subject, how about a game of Frozen Time with the software renderer? :p

dpJudas

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 am

How did you get 79 fps there?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby dpJudas » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:04 am

Fixed the crash bugs in r_scene_multithreaded, removed the drawer threads (r_multithreaded) to get rid of some overhead, and ran it on a Ryzen 5950X (16 core zen 3). End result: it splits the scene including the BSP into 32 slices and renders each slice on its own thread.

I get similar speeds in Eviternity. Best result is for Brigandine where geometry is heavily spread all over the viewport at all times, which results in all parts of the map to run consistently at over 200 FPS on my computer.
dpJudas

Postby drfrag » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:51 am

Cool.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Kinsie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 am

dpJudas wrote:Fixed the crash bugs in r_scene_multithreaded, removed the drawer threads (r_multithreaded) to get rid of some overhead, and ran it on a Ryzen 5950X (16 core zen 3). End result: it splits the scene including the BSP into 32 slices and renders each slice on its own thread.
Neat! Sounds like the sort of multithreaded rendering Gooberman's been experimenting with in Rum & Raisin Doom, his Chocolate Doom fork. You ought to confer with him if you haven't.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby dpJudas » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:37 am

Yes it is exactly what his fork was doing. Note however that r_scene_multithreaded is several years older than his fork. It just wasn't ever enabled due to certain bugs preventing it to become an official feature. There isn't really much to learn from his fork here since the real problem isn't the idea, but rather executing it with GZDoom's far more complex code base. The only really noteworthy thing to copy from his fork is the framebuffer transpose, but that means breaking the 'constant Z' rule for flats. It is doable but requires some work where I once again can't really use anything from his fork.
dpJudas

Postby TiberiumSoul » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:05 am

I'm just going to leave these here... Mostly because I don't want to bump the remaster thread.

Spoiler: Image

Spoiler: Image
TiberiumSoul
The Lost Soul that stumbled into a patch of tiberium crystals

Discord: 2012
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby MyNameIs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:18 am

i'm working on a cyberpunk-ish HotlineMiami-Warframe inspired thing with focus on speed and vertical movement
no map yet tho

(thing starts at 0:12, you can ignore stuff before that timestamp)
MyNameIs

Postby Captain J » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:46 am

Hella impressive. Is the baddies have 3d model but with some kind of custom rotation behavior? Never seen like this before.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby MyNameIs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:41 am

Captain J wrote:Hella impressive. Is the baddies have 3d model but with some kind of custom rotation behavior? Never seen like this before.

i'm changing its SpriteRotation, works with models too. sadly it can't be interpolated i guess, so it's noticeably "lags" if fps is greater than 35.

anyways, it's looks like shit when you're upclose, even more if model's height is small (like weapons, or if enemy is lying), so i think i won't use that in the end.
MyNameIs

Postby RailedRobin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:05 am

Working on a hub area where you enter teleporters to go to different episodes/maps. Currently working on how the teleporter will look.
Everything is just for test atm, and I will of course change textures and such. And the mess at the end is because I was playing around with brightmaps..

https://imgur.com/VdjdX3W
RailedRobin

Postby Stopsignal » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:08 pm

MyNameIs wrote:i'm working on a cyberpunk-ish HotlineMiami-Warframe inspired thing with focus on speed and vertical movement
no map yet tho

(thing starts at 0:12, you can ignore stuff before that timestamp)

That looks fantastic.
I'd suggest a mechanic in order to regain life (maybe using the combos? that would encourage always moving forward and playing stylishly) as you stopping to get those healthpacks brought the pace to a complete halt. Otherwise, it's got fantastic flow, i'm playing that!
Stopsignal
Pixel Artist

Discord: Stopsignal#2168

Postby KynikossDragonn » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:11 pm

So I just had the amazing discovery of Nem's Terrain Builder working under Wine finally when Wine 6.2 came out with Wine Mono 6.0.0:

So now I'm remaking a really dumb map I made in 2007:

Yes, it's as large as UnrealEd allows brushes to exist within grid coordinates.

The terrain brush I made is 512 polys and extends to 32767,-32767. While I was making the terrain I had the snap set to every 128 increments. This surprisingly does not generate BSP errors everywhere.

Also yes, UnrealEd 1 barely functions at all under recent versions of Wine, but even in this broken state I can still work on maps.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby MyNameIs » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Stopsignal wrote:I'd suggest a mechanic in order to regain life (maybe using the combos? that would encourage always moving forward and playing stylishly)

that's a great idea! it would be pretty hard to balance though
MyNameIs

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic