The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The WIP Thread

Postby Sir Squidly » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:33 am

Captain J wrote:Ah yes, harmony. It's been a long time. It's a good game with unique and interesting clay designs... But your profile pic, though. Are you the creator of Harmony? :O

Nope, just a recent Addict. I tend to see potential in things, so I'm gonna give Harmony an overhaul mod-wise. Address some of the weaker aspects of the mod, and raise it to a quality it deserves to be at.

I need to create a thread on it sometime, as I've got plenty to show off, and plenty more for the future.
Sir Squidly
Hooked on PEACE

Postby Vostyok » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Sir Squidly wrote:
Captain J wrote:Ah yes, harmony. It's been a long time. It's a good game with unique and interesting clay designs... But your profile pic, though. Are you the creator of Harmony? :O

Nope, just a recent Addict. I tend to see potential in things, so I'm gonna give Harmony an overhaul mod-wise. Address some of the weaker aspects of the mod, and raise it to a quality it deserves to be at.

I need to create a thread on it sometime, as I've got plenty to show off, and plenty more for the future.

Harmony was a (slightly) flawed masterpiece. It's a shame we don't see more like this. But I can understand the ridiculous amount of work involved.

Anyway, fully behind this project. :D
Vostyok
I'm living in a cardboard box

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Gez » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Have you contacted t.v. ? He's not around here anymore but he's still active on Doomworld.
Gez

Postby Sir Squidly » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Gez wrote:Have you contacted t.v. ? He's not around here anymore but he's still active on Doomworld.

E-mailed him directly 2 years ago, and got permission. When I get some more public stuff out (alpha or a thread) I plan to seeing if he has or remembers any cut content or ideas, as otherwise, I have sketches and early models for some custom enemies planned
Sir Squidly
Hooked on PEACE

Postby Captain J » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:08 pm

That's very interesting! And as long as you got the permission from the author, i guess it's all fine. I do hope i could play this overhaul thingie sooner or later. It's also interesting that they're still active! Tho on Doomworld, but still! Good to hear that.
Sir Squidly wrote:custom enemies planned
Custom enemies, you say? Does that mean you know how to make a clay model or something? That would be great.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby phantombeta » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:41 am

Thought I should post about some work I've done on my engine since my last update on it here:
(The images are thumbnails so they don't take up a lot of space. Just click on them to open the originals)

Since that last update, I've added the Doom2016-style shadowmap atlas, so now lights have working shadows. I've also changed the shadows to a far better, smoother PCF filter. (gaussian-weighted PCF + linear hardware filtering)
I also finally added font rendering, as you can see from the FPS and frame time counters.

Another addition was spotlights. Those were fairly simple to add, and just involved some minor refactoring in some places to improve the code.
They work basically the same as point lights, aside from having a direction and a few additional parameters to control the light cone.

I also changed the basic, built-in BRDF to a PBR one for ease of use. There's no environment maps yet, but those will definitely be added.

As a bonus, here's a screenshot of the full shadowmap atlas. It's 8192x8192 at full res, but has been scaled down to 1280x720 here.
Spoiler:

I've also started working on the programming language for Echelon. Designing a programming language and creating a compiler for it from scratch is pretty tiring, but I feel like it'll integrate and work better than trying to use some existing one. I've made the repo for it public already, as I'll likely need some help with it, so I might as well make it possible for anyone to help.
TheZombieKiller and Gutawer have been very helpful when I have questions related to this, so I suppose this is a shout out to them.

I'm still thinking of making a blog for posts like these, but we'll see.
phantombeta
In the meadow of sinful thoughts, every flower's a perfect one

Location: Brazil, South America, Earth, Orion-Cygnus Arm, Milky Way
Discord: phantombeta#2461
Twitch ID: phantombeta_
Github ID: Doom2fan
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Darkcrafter » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:32 am

Looks great! Was it like casted by a point light because the shadow look pretty uniformly blurred, the farther the shadow receiving object from the shadow casting object the more blurry shadow is. Is there anything that modern game engines can do to simulate this effect?
Darkcrafter

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Lagi » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Nash wrote:

sweet jesus :wub:
never stop creating Nash, there would be future generations of players, that would discover one day the glorious gaming of the 90'
Lagi

Postby Angel-Neko_X » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:45 am

Can someone help me for some decorate? When the revolver is empty and you trying to shoot, it switches to another weapon and then you can't use it anymore!
Angel-Neko_X
Swan Fox doesn't like hurt other people, I do!

Discord: Audom_Moy#1094
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby dpJudas » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:35 am

UT99 + vulkan :)
dpJudas

Postby DenisBelmondo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:44 am

broke: stg or da fg42 for today

woke:

Spoiler:

:3: :3: :3:
DenisBelmondo
now is time to the i386 heart on fire

Postby Kinsie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:55 am

DenisBelmondo wrote:broke: stg or da fg42 for today

woke:

Spoiler:

:3: :3: :3:
Really digging this mod's vibe.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Captain J » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:39 am

Seems like you told yourself "why not both??", and the result looks super amazing

I freaking love you man
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby zrrion the insect » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 am

That is the sort of vibe I was hoping blade of agony would have when it was in the idea stage. Looks lovely.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic