The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The WIP Thread

Postby AFADoomer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 am

Nash wrote:
AFADoomer wrote:Note that it only really works with dynamic lights, so playing with it in normal Doom maps is not the greatest.

Hopefully this PR (if it gets approved) will help alleviate it somewhat. :)

Yes! I've hacked in some handling from the SimSun shader to help, but it's less than ideal.

What would really be perfect for this would be the ability to pass in and process a reflection as part of the shader, that way *all* light, even brightmaps and ordinary textures, could affect the 'waves'... But I have no idea where to even start with that.
AFADoomer

Postby revo794 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Hello everyone, I haven't posted on this here forum in an awful while.
I've been having thoughts about a WWII-themed mod for multiplayer, so I tried to quickly throw together a PPSh for Zandronum, with smoother animations and state transitions, and sound that doesn't stutter. What do you say about the spritework and overall feel of the weapon? Is there any potential to it, or has it all been done and overdone over the months I've been away?
revo794
Local disaster caster

Discord: revo794#3295

Postby Pompous Seed » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Very nice work. As far as I know this hasn't been done, or at least not to a significant degree. As far as the general functionality goes, I'd say you nailed it. The transitions/animations are flawless, and the sound effects don't sound weird or stutter. The only suggestions I have are make independent actors for the shell casings with sound effects along with muzzle flash sprites and smoke effects. The sprite itself could also use a bit of work if you're looking for a more "doom-ish" look. I'm no artist, so my advice on this remains very limited. Maybe make it less smooth in terms of colors/shading (this might be solved by converting the sprites to doom-palette graphics). It also looks a tad bit dark. Maybe brighten up the sprites a bit. But seriously, stellar work dude.
Pompous Seed

Postby phantombeta » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:07 am

Got clustered shading working on my engine. Now massive/absurd amounts of lights (e.g., 2000+ lights on a single scene, all visible at once) don't bring it to its knees - it's pretty fast, even. This will also make it trivial to have transparent objects support everything that opaque ones do lighting-wise. The only downside is that I can't have shadowmaps until I get a (Doom2016 style) shadowmap atlas working.

(This room in the first two screenshots has 2772 point lights in it)

phantombeta
In the meadow of sinful thoughts, every flower's a perfect one

Location: Brazil, South America, Earth, Orion-Cygnus Arm, Milky Way
Discord: phantombeta#2461
Twitch ID: phantombeta_
Github ID: Doom2fan
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gifty » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Working on a little sumthin sumthin with all-custom textures. Hope to tell more about it soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby revo794 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:49 pm

A follow-up on the PPSh a week earlier:
So I've altered the way I capture animations a bit for smoother motion and decreased offsetting during shooting. I had to capture a different gun, which is an MP 40. The one addition is the aiming mode that I decided should only affect bullet spread and the view wobbling effect, ArmA-style, without actually zooming in or out. I also changed the way the first shot in the series is performed, because in the PPSh example, it wasn't sitting well with the rest of the looped animations, and on top of that, it didn't sound very good. There were also some tweaks for a more natural, immersive sound. The shell casings are now there, but I'm not really happy with them right now.

TODO: Implement animated gun bobbing, select/deselect sequences and reloading.
revo794
Local disaster caster

Postby GreenLegacy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:35 am

​We're almost done with the intro! There are only a few scenes (with full of animation) left to complete.​​
GreenLegacy
Developer of Operation ECHO

Discord: GreenL3gacy#2497

Postby Pompous Seed » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:31 pm

revo794 wrote:gun stuff

Please, continue. This is pretty nice stuff! From what I can tell, the sprites look better in general (and clearer); but like you said, the shell casings probably need more work. I couldn't even tell they were there until you moved your camera closer to the ground.
Pompous Seed

Postby Gifty » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Working on some spec/normals for the custom texture set I showed above. Getting some really good results from "Materialize".

I'm also working on an "Undying"-style two-handed weapon system. It's nearly there, still figuring out some of the kinks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby revo794 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:25 am

A quick test of pre-defined environmental sounds:

Unfortunately, the way this is implemented right now is quite hacky and relies on the map designer to make the magic happen. An ACS script looks up the TERRAIN corresponding to the floor texture that the player is standing on, and a sound logic weapon state plays a particular sound based on the return value.
Naturally, this relies on a particular texture always appearing in a specific "sound environment" and never anywhere else; for example, if you stand on a grass texture whilst inside of a building, the sound will still be played as if outdoors. This could be worked around by creating a separate file of the same texture for every "sound env" it could possibly appear in, but that's certainly not a healthy programming practice.
TODO: Tie the "sound env" variable to sector properties somehow.
revo794
Local disaster caster

Postby CeeJay » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Ash vs DOOM.
Necronomicons sec. attack spawns three mini-Ash's (Ashes?).
CeeJay

Postby Sangelothi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:30 am

Made a small edit to SonikoFan's chest so I can add lootable chest to NeoCore, these will spawn in by chance when an elite enemy is killed, or they can be found replacing the backpack and map (subject to change) This is how I'll layer ammo infuser into NeoCore, keeping these active/passive ammo upgrades to chest so it's not mixed into the main gameplay loop. This also saves me time having to rebalance the base ammo types :D

They wind up before bursting the lid and supplies out the top, pair this with lootable corpses that replace dead body props, and NeoCore should give maps better downtime between fights/exploration to rewards
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby Captain J » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:44 am

Smooth and sleek. Nice design!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Sangelothi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Captain J wrote:Smooth and sleek. Nice design!

That's mostly SonikoFan's work there lol, I just doubled its size so I can smooth some details here and there ( I did the same for the Citrus Shells so it can have an animated screen) and then added the spinny thingies, thank you though :D
empty chest with it's lid separated for visual effect, both will eventually fade out after being opened to save clutter :mrgreen:
Sangelothi
What is this???

Postby Angel-Neko_X » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Like in Hotline Miami, when thugs doesn't have ammo in their gun, they can't kill you anymore, they will still aim at you.
Angel-Neko_X
Swan Fox doesn't like hurt other people, I do!

Discord: Audom_Moy#1094
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic