The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Captain J »

Jarewill wrote:Quick test run through the Sanctuary.
Indeed we need more love to Strife. Looks tactical and realistic now!

But i would like to see some stealth kill to take some Acolytes or maybe Templar down.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Captain J wrote:
Jarewill wrote:Quick test run through the Sanctuary.
Indeed we need more love to Strife. Looks tactical and realistic now!
Ive unearthed/retrieved these two things recently: I just didn't bother mentioning it here because its not ZDoom related.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Im 10 min into strife. And governor call his shoota-boys each time. I do my best but with fist, but i cannot kill respawning every second guards. Im like stuck. I go to guide: dont take chalice or the game would be unwinnable.

great idea, is there more stuff like this in the game?

EDIT:
also I cannot find the message from blackbird. Is it suppose to be voice message? i Cannot hear anything. I see only the objective in menu display- is it the same?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Ah, is this with the original commercial release? The Veteran edition fixes this little dead-end
Spoiler:
But it's a nice little touch since it's usually not immediately obvious the guy is a plant.

The vocal cues were held only on the CD. There is a link to their original files on The Sounds Resource. But if your copy doesn't have these files you won't hear them.

https://www.sounds-resource.com/pc_comp ... und/22195/
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, the plot dead-end is quite a miss-step by Rogue Entertainment IMO. Sure, make decisions have a consequence but leaving you at an unwinnable dead end for making what can seem like a reasonable decision is not good game design IMO. At least (from memory) it's the only one like that.

All of the big audio messages should be in a file called voices.wad. If that's missing, your install is incomplete.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you don't fall for the chalice trap, the game is winnable (weird glitches excepted). But there's a point in which you have to make a choice between trusting your boss and trusting some other NPC, and depending on which choice you make you'll get either a bad ending or a happy ending.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Lagi wrote:Do you want some help with sprites frankestaining? or some weapon attack alt fire variant?
Thank you for the offer, but I'm fine at the moment.
Captain J wrote:But i would like to see some stealth kill to take some Acolytes or maybe Templar down.
Stealth kills will be a thing, thanks to Mikk's backstabs.
The way it is right now, is that the enemies will scream on death to alert other enemies.
However if the player does a backstab on an enemy, their screams will have less reach, so it won't alert other enemies as easily.

The dagger starts off weak, but it can be upgraded to the point of a guaranteed insta-kill on backstabbing Acolytes.
And if the player also installs strength augments, the damage will be even further increased.

However taking down Templars won't be as easy. :wink:

Edit:
Enjay wrote:Yes, the plot dead-end is quite a miss-step by Rogue Entertainment IMO. Sure, make decisions have a consequence but leaving you at an unwinnable dead end for making what can seem like a reasonable decision is not good game design IMO. At least (from memory) it's the only one like that.
Hmmm.... Maybe I could make it so dropping the chalice, makes it so the player doesn't get soft-locked?
I haven't thought about that, as I took my lesson after the first time it happened, but fixing that does sound like a good idea.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:Yes, the plot dead-end is quite a miss-step by Rogue Entertainment IMO. Sure, make decisions have a consequence but leaving you at an unwinnable dead end for making what can seem like a reasonable decision is not good game design IMO. At least (from memory) it's the only one like that.
IIRC the biggest problem with this was that the original game engine only gave you one save slot. I forget if this was ever patched in the DOS executable, or if that was an improvement in Chocolate Strife.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

The final DOS version had the ability to copy saves, but it had some severe problems in that it wouldn't remove any state that already existed in the old save slot, which could create irrational and unwinnable game situations. The bug is so bad that Chocolate Strife outright fixes it.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

It's a surprisingly difficult fight, believe it or not, especially if you don't use the charged up Z-Saber blast. Just using the normal attacks and the 7 hit combo attack is tough but fun.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Never bring a sword to a boxing match... Unless you're a reploid with an attitude!

But honestly tho Mike just got slashed in half after he's downed
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Another quick run, this time through the prison!
It seems to be a bit too easy so far. I'll have to see what I can do about it.
Maybe I can lower Acolytes' reaction time from 1 second to half a second....
The Sentinels need work too, but I don't know what I could do with them.

However, I set myself up for some annoyances later, as after going through the prison and saving for later when I do a test in the power plant, I decided to modify the ACS scripts.
That means that the save I did no longer works, and I'll have to replay up to the prison again. At least I'll be able to do more testing. :D
Also the electric bolts didn't work when shooting the ceiling, as I forgot to add radius and height properties to the explosion, but that was fixed now.
It also took me about 5 hours to actually upload this video.... Jeez, I'll have to tweak my settings for the next time.
Nailz the Ravager
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Nailz the Ravager »

I was often helped by a calculator... but this case was special...
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

So now we're going to have Math Blaster in Doom?? :O Oh man, that would be so great like typing.pk3.

Return to “Off-Topic”