The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The WIP Thread

Postby Enjay » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Been working on creating a few more "Eye of the Beholder" derived textures; making Doom dimension textures from the inconveniently-sized original graphics (lots of copy/paste/clone).

I have also recoloured some Doom/Heretic/Hexen flats to try and give a bit more variety. Some work quite well, others far less so.

Unfortunately, the enemy sprites are less useful. Their stark colouring makes them even less Doomy than the textures. That's not a massive problem for a complete EoB themed conversion. However, they don't have many frames at all. Their walking frames are just single images for front and rear (reversed to create 2 frames in game - but it looks bad because many enemies are asymmetric, e.g. the zombie's rotting leg keeps changing sides :shock: ). The side-on view gets 2 walking frames (oooh, luxury) and the attack gets 2 front on frames only. So, there aren't enough animations or enough angles. No death, no pain, not much at all really. This is OK for the very stilted enemy movement in the original game, but I think it might take far too much work to get something useful from them for more Doom-like AI; certainly if I wanted a full bestiary.

Some of the static items (decorations, pickups etc) are more likely to be useful (indeed, I have already used some in my old Heretic Thief mod).

I don't know what I am going to do with the textures yet anyway. :shrug:
Spoiler:

Anyway, there are lots of interesting switches and wall gadgets of various types and the textures look quite good in themselves, so I might figure out something for them at some point.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Vostyok » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Damn, Enjay. Those textures look b-e-a-utiful!

I have an idea that could use these stuff. Was working on some new Hexen style monsters for a future side-project in my spare time. But it'll probably have to wait, unfortunately. :(

edit: excuse black and white oddities due to Paint.net alpha channel weirdness.
Vostyok
Free Radical

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby m8f » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 pm

m8f
the dreamer

Discord: m8f#0629
Github ID: mmaulwurff

Postby Cherno » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Enjay wrote:Been working on creating a few more "Eye of the Beholder" derived textures; making Doom dimension textures from the inconveniently-sized original graphics (lots of copy/paste/clone).

I have also recoloured some Doom/Heretic/Hexen flats to try and give a bit more variety. Some work quite well, others far less so.

Unfortunately, the enemy sprites are less useful. Their stark colouring makes them even less Doomy than the textures. That's not a massive problem for a complete EoB themed conversion. However, they don't have many frames at all. Their walking frames are just single images for front and rear (reversed to create 2 frames in game - but it looks bad because many enemies are asymmetric, e.g. the zombie's rotting leg keeps changing sides :shock: ). The side-on view gets 2 walking frames (oooh, luxury) and the attack gets 2 front on frames only. So, there aren't enough animations or enough angles. No death, no pain, not much at all really. This is OK for the very stilted enemy movement in the original game, but I think it might take far too much work to get something useful from them for more Doom-like AI; certainly if I wanted a full bestiary.

Some of the static items (decorations, pickups etc) are more likely to be useful (indeed, I have already used some in my old Heretic Thief mod).

Anyway, there are lots of interesting switches and wall gadgets of various types and the textures look quite good in themselves, so I might figure out something for them at some point.

Very good! There's lots useful stuff in the EoB games as far as textures and item icons go. However, I think the wall textures would need to be scaled down to about 75%, they look too big to mee :)
Cherno

Postby Captain J » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Vostyok wrote:I have an idea that could use these stuff. Was working on some new Hexen style monsters for a future side-project in my spare time. But it'll probably have to wait, unfortunately. :(
I'm sorry, but i can't stop thinking about Ashes after seeing your work! Is this normal? Or this monster actually suits the mod? Heh.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Enjay » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 am

Cherno wrote:Very good! There's lots useful stuff in the EoB games as far as textures and item icons go. However, I think the wall textures would need to be scaled down to about 75%, they look too big to mee :)

Funnily enough, I already tried scaling them so that the base size was 96x96 instead of 128x128. It possibly did look better (Although the difference wasn't as obvious as I'd expected). However, it did make mapping more difficult. Things (including my brain) are just not set up to deal with non power of 2 texture sizes as easily.

What I might do is gather everything together into a texture pack and people can do what they want with them (including scaling). I still have a bit if work to do though.

@Vostyok, that enemy looks very cool.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:47 am

m8f wrote:

The feature we never knew we needed. <3
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Angel-Neko_X » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:26 am

Angel-Neko_X
Swan Fox doesn't like hurt other people, I do!

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:07 am

Gez wrote:Daggerfall with guns!

Daggerfall indeed! Now all I need is a "fall through floors" feature!
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Captain J » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:17 am

Seems like you forgot to add the Raincloud, Thundercloud and Hailcloud!... Just kidding, but hope there's more weather varieties. Looks very promising!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Nash wrote:Now all I need is a "fall through floors" feature!
If you can manage that, maybe Ubisoft will publish you! :mrgreen:
NeuralStunner
An Exercise in Self-Indulgence

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby RiboNucleic Asshat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Click the image to get a nice little vid

After far too many hours of painstaking trial and error, and then throwing everything out and rewriting it in 3 hours, I've made the Cacodemons smarter for my mod.
They have some new tricks, such as:
- Strafing randomly to be more unpredictable
- Leading their shots
- Dodging when in their pain state
- +AVOIDMELEE so that they can fill the role of distant harassers
- Adjusting their height to be near the same level as their target

All of these were implemented in a global base monster class also, so I can actually reuse the goddamn functions that probably took 5 years off my life.

Here's a link to the git so that you can check out my shitty code if ya want
please ignore the placeholder sprites on the weapons, haha
EDIT ME
RiboNucleic Asshat

Discord: Ribonucleic Asshat#7687
Twitch ID: ribonucleicasshat
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm

5 years... Man i understand you the frustration programming this useful feature. And i also wanted to program something like this to my mod, Netronian Chaos, but i couldn't, thanks to my lack of rocket-science of doom modding.

Anyhoo, looks really smooth and accurate, literally! Excellent work!
Captain J
'OH YE'

Postby comet1337 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:50 pm

trying myself to make custom ai and movement, i can confirm that it is an absolutely abstract kind of hell all of its own
but the pipedream is too good not to pursue
comet1337

Postby InsanityBringer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 pm

there's a surprising amount of flexibility in this old engine from 1996 that really was never exposed to any map editor. it's kinda disappointing.

I've also discovered it's possible to make decorative objects, something I very much remember lusting after back in like '07 or so. better 12 years late than never I guess...
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic