The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: The WIP Thread

Postby dpJudas » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 am

Nash wrote:That's how it is in the Creation Engine (Skyrim/Fallout 4) ... lights placed in the level can be marked to be a shadow caster, but only 4 (or was it 8) shadow casters can be visible at any one "time". I'm not sure what exactly "time" is (1 scene? 1 room? 1 'portal'?) but I remember the devs mentioning this in their Creation Kit tutorial videos. :)

My own engine decides this by culling and distance check. Basically the closest 8 visible shadow casters gets chosen for shadow casting, and the others just render without shadows. The problem with this approach is that it requires careful planning where you place them to avoid the player noticing when it switches shadow caster.

I'm not so keen on this solution for gzdoom mostly because it would only work for new content. I'm dreaming of something that can do it for all dynamic lights already there today.
dpJudas

Postby Kinsie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:12 am

I'm not looking forward to making Baron of Hell versions of these frames, just quietly...
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Captain J » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:50 am

I wish they can be doom-friendly, though. Yes, it looks perfect the way it is, but just wishing!

And i wonder what baron of hell's look will be? Obviously goatman like?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Kinsie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:53 am

Captain J wrote:And i wonder what baron of hell's look will be? Obviously goatman like?
I want to use the Doom 64 sprites.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Zanieon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:50 am

Hey Kinsie that's awesome!

And no you definetely don't need make that, i currently will make my second attempt in texturize Baron of Hell and make a separated version of him where i will make him use the these animations of Hellknight since both shares the same skeleton.

Even if you decide to use the D64 Baron i'll leave the option to you choose the Doom 4 one, well, for everyone.
Zanieon
A Tamer of The Dark

Discord: Zanieon#3177
Twitch ID: Zanieon
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Gez » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:12 am

dpJudas wrote:My own engine decides this by culling and distance check. Basically the closest 8 visible shadow casters gets chosen for shadow casting, and the others just render without shadows. The problem with this approach is that it requires careful planning where you place them to avoid the player noticing when it switches shadow caster.

I'd suggest making it a factor of both distance and strength, so that a searchlight 100 meters away still gets priority over a cigarette 30 cm away.
Gez

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 am

that Hell Knight is pretty cool. though, if the Hell Knight is gonna be melee only, won't that break a shitton of maps that has them mainly threatening you with projectiles? map07 of TNT comes to mind.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby Kinsie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:53 am

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:that Hell Knight is pretty cool. though, if the Hell Knight is gonna be melee only, won't that break a shitton of maps that has them mainly threatening you with projectiles? map07 of TNT comes to mind.
They still have their traditional projectiles. They'll just also try and jump-attack you if you're close enough and Potential Map-Breakers is turned on.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby dpJudas » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Gez wrote:
dpJudas wrote:My own engine decides this by culling and distance check. Basically the closest 8 visible shadow casters gets chosen for shadow casting, and the others just render without shadows. The problem with this approach is that it requires careful planning where you place them to avoid the player noticing when it switches shadow caster.

I'd suggest making it a factor of both distance and strength, so that a searchlight 100 meters away still gets priority over a cigarette 30 cm away.

Well, the thing is. Most modern games "cheat" by being outdoor games. This means they have a single shadow casting light source (the sun) always active, where they can use the cascading shadow maps technique to always have good quality shadows. Skyrim looks great outside thanks to that. Indoors, however, I think Skyrim looks quite terrible with their one-way-tunnel excuse of a cave. The light there is mostly baked or just a plain boring single color ambient light.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say with all this is that they use shadow casting light mostly as a kind of gimmick where the player can say "woah, really cool that ONE bonfire casts shadows". And doing that in gzdoom certainly would be possible too with such a feature, but I'm more dreaming of either large indoor shadow casters, or with tons of small dynamic lights that all cast shadows. With large shadow casters there's going to be a big visual difference if the shadow is suddenly turned off. With lots of small lights the 8 slots won't be enough.
dpJudas

Postby Captain J » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:36 am

Just made some fancy sound effects based on astrostein. Mostly enemies' death sound when got zapped.

When such project is started or still alive, be my guest!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby leileilol » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:37 am

just made her look a lot less crappy, enough to post a sortof glamour shot
another arne concept down!
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Captain J » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:05 am

I just love the details what torso has, and that doubled Kneepads are good touch, too!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

The WIP Thread

Postby GENTEK » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:06 pm

Last edited by GENTEK on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GENTEK

Postby Mikk- » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:23 am

Been working on my enhanced hexen combat thing, made a bounding leap attack which crushes foes.
https://my.mixtape.moe/othdga.webm

since the recording of the .webm that ability has been nerfed and now only stuns foes. The powered-up version deals more damage over a larger radius.
Mikk-
yooooooooooo

Discord: Mikk0451#3922

Postby BFG » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:46 am

Spoiler:

porting DNF Enforcer sprites from the Eduke mod to make hyperblasting Enforcers.
BFG

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic