Page 1405 of 2035

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm
by XCVG
Still needs bathrooms and back of the house stuff. Do clubs serve food? I know it needs liquor storage. Needs more speakers and a little decoration on the club floor, too, and then I need to populate the whole thing.

Image

Image

Image

Too bad there's no audio, because I'm doing gross hacks for that, too.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 pm
by NeuralStunner
XCVG wrote:Do clubs serve food?
I believe so. Not full meal type stuff, but light, salty stuff that makes you want more drinks. (Basically a club is just a bar with a dance floor.) :P

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:48 pm
by wildweasel
Well, it depends on your region, but I know in Oregon, bars, pubs, and clubs are required by law to have food on the menu, even if it's bags of potato chips.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 pm
by XCVG
I'm going with a vague dark urban fantasy theme. I kind of want to build a kitchen so I guess I'll do that.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 am
by Kinsie

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:51 am
by insightguy


..translation and explanation please?

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 am
by Kinsie
insightguy wrote:


..translation and explanation please?
Kinsie wrote:I've been attempting to dig up the art assets from the old Amiga game Gloom Deluxe. The textures have been easy, as they were included with the map editor in plain ol' DeluxePaint format. Easy peasy.

The sprites and full-screen graphics, however, are compressed using an Amiga-specific system called Crunch-Mania. I think I'm making some headway by way of an emulator and a wide variety of unintuitive shareware by broken people, but we'll see whether or not I can figure things out.

If not, well, no loss, right?
Kinsie wrote:The good news is that I've had success in decrunching the Objs files in Gloom Deluxe!

The bad news is that I can't find any format info or utilities for working with the Obj files beyond an undocumented one-way iff-to-obj tool that comes with the editor called makeanim.

And now, I am the sads.
The link, when run through Google Translate, is a concise guide and set of software for handling this rip.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 am
by CruX


Wow, the gloom sprites are even cleaner than I thought. Does this mean you can get a full rip on this stuff?

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 am
by Captain J
hope you can get any gib sprites or sounds from that game, too.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:09 am
by Arctangent
Image
Image

The physics here can't really be explained in screenshot form, but think of Spacewar! or Asteroids, except you can thrust in any direction instead of just forward.

There's really not much to show unfortunately. It's pretty proof-of-concept right now, and Zandronum crashes when bots are added, so it can't really be played offline - though I have my doubts they could handle the physics in the first place. What you see in the screenshots are 99% of the map's aesthetics, with the other 1% being the currently non-functional powerup pads.

I have some ideas on how to expand on this, but it's kind of frustrating not being able to see how it plays in its current state.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:36 am
by Kinsie
CruX wrote:Wow, the gloom sprites are even cleaner than I thought. Does this mean you can get a full rip on this stuff?
I can, but there's a few hoops to jump through for each character, all of which involve an Amiga emulator, so it takes a little time and effort. I'll probably either do a few more or write up a guide soon. :)

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:29 am
by IMX


Fucking amazing

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:07 pm
by XCVG
Needs a better texture, but it now has guardrails to keep drunk people from falling off.

Image

There's also more speakers, but you can't see them from here.

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 pm
by iSpook


Weapon development's been going alright so far. The Crossbow and The Rifle are, for the most part, complete as well.

Oh, and so isn't the new enemy replacing Keens.

Spoiler:

Re: The WIP Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm
by Carbine Dioxide
That's a pretty kick ass shotgun, ISpook!