The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Captain J »

Back in the day, i guess i could say...

They watched movies in Black and White.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Project Dark Fox wrote:What's the deal with the film grain?
If an engine feature exists and the FPS counter hasn't become a SPF counter, it's getting used to within an inch of it's life.

That's the Blade of Agony rule. And also, coincidentally, the entire design doc.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Kinsie wrote:If an engine feature exists and the FPS counter hasn't become a SPF counter, it's getting used to within an inch of it's life.

That's the Blade of Agony rule. And also, coincidentally, the entire design doc.
Not this shit again. First of all, while film grain isn't my cup of tea, it doesn't affect the frame rate in any great deal. Secondly, just because you don't agree with the design decisions of the BoA project doesn't give you the right to talk shit like this..
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Kinsie wrote:If an engine feature exists and the FPS counter hasn't become a SPF counter, it's getting used to within an inch of it's life.

Kinsie - just because you don't like something, doesn't mean everyone else hates it, too. In fact, the past 4 years have seen many engine improvements that, while you might not like it, the vast majority of the community (at least the ones that post here on this forum) does.

While it's obvious you were going for a completely hyperbolic effect with this statement, and while I have my own gripes with the way the BoA team does things, I think it goes without saying that it's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be, here.

And what do you expect? For Tormentor not to be Tormentor? When there's a new engine feature - of course he's going to use it. That's what he does. And to be quite frank, most people love it when he does it.

Sorry, much as I love the things you've done for this old game, much as I love your projects and contributions here - you are in a minority. Your statement here is at the very least more provocative than it really needs to be. It is quite sufficient to say you don't like these things - you don't have to resort to hyperbolic attacks about it. Either way, they're not going away - neither from GZDoom, nor BoA. This really was just unnecessarily hostile and pointless.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Film grain can be okay for real-time use if used within proper context though... like in the Silent Hill games, it was used judiciously and enhanced the game's ambience. And I _might_ be remembering incorrectly but it had a gameplay effect too (might've been another game) - the film grain's opacity increases and decreases as you move around approaching monsters - it's a subtle but effective cue.

IMO of course.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Project Dark Fox wrote:What's the deal with the film grain?
Some people consider it cool - I don't. Fortunately it can be switched off. It'd be bad if a mod forced this to be on without option.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Modeling and texturing practice (2 hours)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Impressive, Nash! That's further than I've ever gotten in Blender. :)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

2 Hours? So basically you just finished them models and textures within certain amount of time? If so, that's very quick and impressive! Modeling nowadays takes a lot of times to make. No?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Blender's render baking with ambient occlusion's really handy for starting a model texture to paint on afterward (within blender). I usually do a color ramp on the material's result to tweak some of the shading tone, and from there on I pretend to be 97-00 Kenneth Scott for a good hour or two
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Glad the project is still going on. Or remaking, maybe?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Captain J wrote:Glad the project is still going on. Or remaking, maybe?
Mostly toying with assets atm. No real formed project to use them in yet.
Nash

Post by Nash »

ImpieTwo wrote:
Nice. Somehow I expected those other enemies to wake up when someone dies too close beside them, and that guard who already entered their See state should've just woken up the other enemy. :P
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Nash wrote:Nice. Somehow I expected those other enemies to wake up when someone dies too close beside them, and that guard who already entered their See state should've just woken up the other enemy. :P
I'd add that in if I knew how to code it in Decorate.

Return to “Off-Topic”