The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
dpJudas

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by dpJudas »

Granted, it is many years since I tested assimp, but back then that library seemed to favor quantity over quality. The last modders need is poor half-broken loaders. Current situation is bad enough with seemingly half the MD3 exporters out there being semi-broken. What they need are solutions that Just Work.

FBX itself is not usable as the format is proprietary and AFAIK undocumented. The only 100% reliable loader is the FBX SDK, which will increase the gzdoom.exe by about 10 megabytes (great work there Autodesk). It is also really slow. And sometimes you have to wait 6+ months for Autodesk to update it whenever Microsoft updates Visual Studio. More or less all engines that accept this format uses it as an exchange format where they then store it in their own internal format afterwards.

Right now I think the best solution is to add support for the IQM model format. It is reasonably simple, uses a frame based animation system, and has bone support. Unfortunately there seems to be nobody volunteering to implement it.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Tea Monster wrote:
Tea Monster wrote:We have someone over on Duke4.net who has been updating the MD3 exporter for us. I'll ask him if he can help with updating the current exporter to the latest version of Blender.
I've not heard anything back from the guy as of yet.

As you guys have proper PBR lighting available, now would be the perfect time to bug your devs to give you a more modern model format. I would suggest FBX as it's widely supported by lots of different software and as such, probably isn't going to be a pain to keep maintained for a few years. Assimp does a great plug-in repository for adding various 3D model formats. https://github.com/assimp/assimp.

I don't know who the GZDoom devs are, but people here may want to bend their ears to this idea.
The need for support for more modern model formats is known and understood, but a mixture of things have gotten in the way:
  • [wiki]MODELDEF[/wiki] is kinda crappy for things beyond basic props, and a more advanced definition system is needed. There's some rumblings about a completely new model-centric actor definition system for decoupling actions from individual frames, but that might be a bit much...
  • A lot of more modern model formats use skeletal animation. GZDoom doesn't currently support that, so that needs to be figured out. There was a hack someone did a while back to add support for Source Engine SMD models, but it was done in a hacky experimental way that can't really be used in a final product.
  • Time, basically.
I'm sure Graf Zahl and DPJudas, who handle a lot of the graphics-centric stuff, would love help in this regard, although they'd probably prefer it more in pull-request format. :lol:
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Thank you NeoWorm
Hyperstyle

Post by Hyperstyle »

I am working on on a total conversion based on the build engine game Fate. There was only a demo released of this game with some interesting graphics and mechanics and rather bad gameplay.
Still in need for a good project name, since Fate is a way too generic name on its own.
Wereknight
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wereknight »

Wasn't that one that Capstone game they cancelled?
Gez

Post by Gez »

SamVision wrote:
Thank you NeoWorm
Why did you embed a video on which you disabled embedding?
Hyperstyle

Post by Hyperstyle »

Wereknight wrote:Wasn't that one that Capstone game they cancelled?
Well the company got bankrupt during production so yes. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

First World Problems thanks to Youtube, i guess. :P
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Gez wrote:Why did you embed a video on which you disabled embedding?
Mistake.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I still have a soft spot for this one for some reason and still work on it from time to time.

Ghost Prototype

Post by Ghost Prototype »

I always love how things just outright died in Blood. Hoping to do them some real justice as I rework the gore in Divine

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

OH SHI am i hearing HD version of them Cultist's voice clips? That's amazing to hear! I guess they're from Blood 2 Nightmare Levels?
Ghost Prototype

Post by Ghost Prototype »

Captain J wrote:OH SHI am i hearing HD version of them Cultist's voice clips? That's amazing to hear! I guess they're from Blood 2 Nightmare Levels?
That's right! Enemy roster from that game includes Cultists, Zombies, Butcher, Gillbeasts & perhaps more fitting ones as time goes by, who knows?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

How can one spend over 6 hours on an easter egg that doesn't take more than 6 minutes to complete?! :roll: Curious if someone recognizes this game from the 90's :D

Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Oh man, that's great! I played through the first two games of the Nordland Trilogie (and eventually gave up in Schatten über Riva). Never would have thought that someone would use the textures in a Doom mod. They look beautiful.

Return to “Off-Topic”