The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Angel-Neko_X
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Angel-Neko_X »

Preparing early the school project, it's powered with construct 2!
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

mathematics are a wonderous thing

This is amazing, I can tell them to face a point and they'll turn to it without any issue. Everything's done in the local coordinate system of the object which has some pretty great implications. Stuff like ZD's homing missile code needs some ugly solutions to handle the case of turning 359-0 degrees without going the long way and if you go over or under a missile it has to do a full 180 to keep up rather than a convenient pitch change. This avoids almost all of that.

edit:

pathfinding!
Orka

Post by Orka »

InsanityBringer wrote:mathematics are a wonderous thing

This is amazing, I can tell them to face a point and they'll turn to it without any issue. Everything's done in the local coordinate system of the object which has some pretty great implications. Stuff like ZD's homing missile code needs some ugly solutions to handle the case of turning 359-0 degrees without going the long way and if you go over or under a missile it has to do a full 180 to keep up rather than a convenient pitch change. This avoids almost all of that.

edit:

pathfinding!
I had an idea like that to turn Doom into a Space shooter thing... But I imagined it very poorly to be honest. :) Glad to see someone making such cool stuffs that I just could dream of.

Also I am really enjoying myself with this stuff:

It looks so much acceptable with Nash's non-slippery movement script. :)
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Been down a rabbit hole of colourspaces for weeks now while I work on my hue-shifting shader. It started out as a pair of lookup colour tables but when I learned of the 'stat gpu' command I realised they were slower than good old-fashioned code :( After that I swapped from HSL to HSV, streamlined the hell out of it and have been working on a function to luminance-weight the result against the original colour. The luminance weighting alters it so that HSV is like using LAB or HCL colourspaces but avoids limitations such as their low brightness and hue drift.

Anyway, while tra-la-la-versing the rabbit hole today I found info on CrY colourspace which was used in the Atari Jaguar port of DooM, very interesting! Apparently Carmack oversaw it's use and it's his preferred colourspace for DooM. It sacrifices colour depth in favour of smoother shading (which is similar to what I've been doing with Troo Cullers) but appears to forgo the colourmap. So now I'm working on using the hue-shift code I've created (the unfinished lum weighting isn't necessary I think) to simulate the CrY colourspace in GZDoom for Jaguar style visuals 8-)

Seeing as I put a lot of work into these LUTs and they aren't getting used now I may as well consider them artwork:
RGB to HSL
RGB to HSL
HSL to RGB
HSL to RGB
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spooky, Freaky and Unholy enough! Good to see the Splatterhouse project again. It's been too long.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Jaguar.pk3
(3.06 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Alright I've got something that works, is there anyone familiar with the Jaguar console that can confirm whether this is similar or not?
Comparison with the palette shader. It's no wonder people thought Jaguar DooM was 24bit.
Comparison with the palette shader. It's no wonder people thought Jaguar DooM was 24bit.
Edit: I found a Jaguar total conversion which is awesome but it wouldn't load so I fixed it.
TC.gif
Another interesting tidbit about Jaguar's CrY colourspace is that there is no pure white :o
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Angel-Neko_X
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Angel-Neko_X »

vólentiæn

Post by vólentiæn »

ImpieTwo wrote:
wow... finally something actually spooky
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

The last time I tried to postprocess anything was this shader trying to imitate the odd PowerVR 16-bit color output - which spans from PCX1 to KYRO2 at least (and including the Dreamcast).

Really wish I could cast RGB as some ints so I could just lookup the damn thing from handmade 16/32 entry tables instead of some RGB454>RGB565 blend-and-guessmath. :|
Attachments
pcx2dither.png
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I really wish I understood some of that, it might help me :lol:
What was it about the PowerVR that made it special?
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Basically what it does is that it's RGB565 isn't as clearly precise as RGB565 should be. I believe it shifts down a few colors every odd bit and I think this was done to avoid green tinge (but gets a little purple-ish in the dark instead)

PowerVR's only specialty is tiled rendering and the special free depth sorting it gets, but apart from that it's your usual nth generation 3d hardware (despite what the DC fandom might claim otherwise)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Pixel Eater wrote:Alright I've got something that works, is there anyone familiar with the Jaguar console that can confirm whether this is similar or not?
I believe the most knowledgeable person we have in our community is Quasar, who's working in his scant spare time on a Jaguar Doom port.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

leileilol wrote:it shifts down a few colors every odd bit
Sort of like a dither of the hue value I'm guessing? I might experiment with that some time :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link Gez, there's good info in there and it took me to the official page as well. I found the video of the pulsating light effect very intriguing! It's a shame I'm on a Mac and don't own a copy of JagDooM.

When I'm at my own computer I'll share another attempt I made at the "Jaguar shader". It seemed much closer to screen shots I've seen but had more graphical artefacts :roll:
JaguarTest2.pk3
(54.56 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
From here I'm thinking I could just make a shader that reduces the depth of the hue and saturation to get an approximate effect, sort of like posterization. It wouldn't be the exact palette of the Jaguar but then it could be adjustable via a menu and less likely to glitch.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Darsycho »

Spoiler: COMING THIS APRIL 1ST

Return to “Off-Topic”