The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

after numerous delays due to shit going on for me this year, the album i've been working on is finally out now.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Super high quality monitor model! And am i seeing romero's face? :P
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Think of it as a Doctor robotnik monitor, it will either spawn enemies all around you, or straight up do 25 damage to you. its a troll monitor thing. (also included in the Random item monitor)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

doomfiend wrote:or straight up do 25 damage to you
Personally I would stick with just spawning enemies. Especially when you're going to include it in the random one. Straight-up random punishments are arbitrary and not fun.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

it's still up in the air on what I wanna do, I could add a debuff to the player from elemental effects
Ice: Slows you down
Slag / acid: Makes you frail (x2 damage intake from all sources (x4 damage from slag enemies while active; only lasts 10 seconds))
Metal: 10% speed decrease / Gravity doubled
Void: Confusion / swaps movement speed for a brief time
We will not be adding electric / Fire. as electric does just ignores shields / armour and Fire does burn damage.

So it will either be the elemental debuffs / spawn enemies all around you. who knows
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Built the trailer park.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Video Link

I wanted to try and recreate the awesome Pig Cop SUVs from the recent Alien Armageddon mod for eDuke32, since they're a pretty fantastic and natural-feeling implementation of vehicle-based enemies. However, just using the default Doom A_Chase stuff wouldn't fit because it wouldn't have that natural feel I was after. In addition, it turns out the Alien Armageddon mod "cheats" a little by using mapper-placed pathfinding nodes to sandpaper over the cracks, which I'm not a huge fan of.

This is my first attempt at my own iteration. It uses its own movement system where it looks at the player, then drives straight forward until the player is 90 degrees out of the way (if that makes sense), at which point it does a skid and the sequence repeats. It handles crashing into walls appropriately, and enters a kamikaze-like state on death where it blasts forward in a wobbly line, blaring the horn until it hits something and explodes. Not enormously complicated, sure, but it doesn't act like a monster painted to look like a car, so it's a success on some level.

This isn't very complete yet. My next steps:
  • Make the skidding turns look more natural. Currently they turn a predefined number of degrees each turn, then they snap to the direction of the player.
  • Add a Shotgun Guy or Chaingunner riding shotgun. This is already half-finished, but it doesn't look right and isn't very balanced, so I disabled it for now.
  • Add handling for crashing into another actor (enemies, the player, etc.). Currently it just acts like they're a wall and bounces off, leaving them unscathed. Which is funny, but...
  • Add new art. As funny as the JPF sprite is, it's not very suitable.
  • Add shitloads of debris (and at least one tire rolling away) upon death explosion. Make it satisfying!
  • Find an actual use for this. It doesn't fit in any of my current projects...
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

That's fantastic kinsie. I've been thinking about something like this for an idea I had, but had no idea how to pull it off. Watching this.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Along with that peculiar vehicle design, that's some sweet coding for road warriors! I haven't seen that kind of vehicular behaviors often in other doom mods. The certain thing i know is Gross Deutschland's Panzer Unit and Leonard(on a Bike) from Aeons of Death. You probably can add functional turret on top and increase driving speed because, i know you can! :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I don't even know how to pull off an enemy who walks only in a straight line. =p
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

How are you able to animate the color change on that model?
Tribeam3rd

Post by Tribeam3rd »

The model cycles through 2 different skins to do that.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Oh, so in the modeldef you can assign "1" to the second skin.

Return to “Off-Topic”