The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
jdredalert

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by jdredalert »

Guardsoul wrote:Exploring the OTEX texture package possibilities

That's awesome! Gotta love the feel and the atmosphere of that picture!
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

You know what they say, everybody gangsta until you have to model the head.
identical model.png
identical model.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Still suffering with this model :)

EDIT: Just noticed it kinda looks like Mysterio lol
Last edited by TDRR on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Judging from the background color and the default material, the suffering's not going to go away any time soon with that particular 20-year-old-bugs-still-unfixed application, being quite the DeePsea of 3d programs that only remains in current memory due to rotting bad old tutorials and links blindly impressed by a game support list
Spoiler:
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

leileilol wrote:Judging from the background color and the default material, the suffering's not going to go away any time soon with that particular 20-year-old-bugs-still-unfixed application, being quite the DeePsea of 3d programs that only remains in current memory due to rotting bad old tutorials and links blindly impressed by a game support list
Spoiler:
Yeah. I'm trying out Blender and Cinema4D but it's soooo off-putting when they are so hard to get into, i can very hardly make the same things i can easily do in MS3D after DAYS of tutorials in Blender. In fact, i NEVER had to use any tutorial with MS3D, after just a couple hours of fiddling around i already felt mostly confident of my familiarity with the program. I'm seriously trying but all of this huge amount of options and materials and fancy stuff to work with that Blender and C4D have make everything a quadrillion times more complicated.

Sometimes i wish MS3D recieved a last update that gave it more formats, more attributes for models, bugfixes and other things. It's great for it's simplicity but it could use a bit better orthographic views for example.

I also never really had any issues animating and rigging in MS3D except for that one time where it backwards interpolated my animations for some reason but honestly it was still easier to fix that than to even begin using Blender. Isn't there any fork of Blender that's oriented to total noobs or a good in-depth tutorial?

EDIT: Saw a new Milkshape-style modelling program called "Maverick Model 3D" which is indeed currently being maintained and is fully open source. It looks rather easy to use but sadly, only MD2, MD3 and OBJ are supported. MS3D and MM3D (It's own format) are supported too but in the case of MS3D there's always the worry of something not exporting like it should and this would affect my .fbx and .dae exports.

On the flip side, i can actually ask for new features with this one, run it on Linux, and even report any bugs! Isn't that beautiful?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

An hour and a half blender session got this UV'd/Textured ghost produced all the way from scratch (her object name is still "Plane"). happy halloween
Spoiler: ghost butt's
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

G... Gh... Ghost Boobi... I mean Waifu? :O
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

leileilol wrote:An hour and a half blender session got this UV'd/Textured ghost produced all the way from scratch (her object name is still "Plane"). happy halloween
Spoiler: ghost butt's
Jeez, alright i'm going to use Blender you guys can stop telling me about the wonders of using it because it's perfect and it's the one true 3D modelling suite and there's no other one except it.

The ONLY thing i wish is that Blender had the option to use various viewports and switching to the traditional blender mode when needed. That would be absolutely perfect, i really hate having to constantly move the camera with a laptop touchpad, it just feels extremely clunky and slow. Don't get me started on using the hotkeys on this teeny tiny keyboard!
Nash

Post by Nash »

You can drag the little triangle at the top-right of a 3D viewport to clone and create a new view. Or if using Blender 2.8, there's a preset for 4 views:

https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... bject-mode

(you aren't limited to only 4 views, or even a specific view layout BTW. it's unlimited and you can arrange the viewports any way you want)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

TDRR wrote: Jeez, alright i'm going to use Blender you guys can stop telling me about the wonders of using it because it's perfect and it's the one true 3D modelling suite and there's no other one except it.
Don't feel bad, I hate it too. I use it only because I have to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yeah, sometimes it really sucks if the only good program for a specific use case sucks this badly with the user interface.
I once tried it myself and I cannot say I was too thrilled...
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I just can't work in Blender, it has so inconvenient workflow as to me, that I would even appreciate having slow and buggy 3ds max over it. The problem is that almost every free software isn't convenient. I'm not sure if Blender multithreads well, 3ds max modifiers for example are still single threaded, I don't think it's such a big problem to parallelize them because mesh can be simply sliced up into the threads and processed separately then "stitched" back. The same thing applies to offline audio editors, it's such a simple workaround of fake multithreading that would work like a charm but still developers that already are taking up income don't give a damn about. Many people complain about it on the support but seems like there is no other answer excet "ooh it's so hard, the alghorithms are old and we don't want to rewrite them, just eat what you have" :lol:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Blender 2.8's UI and UX have improved tremendously (finally changing basic shit like left click to select - optional BTW, for old Blender purists or people who already got used to the ass-backwards UX from before). By the way, with regards to 3D software - ALL of them have crappy UI and UX. Unlike image editors or text editors, there never has been a "standard". Everyone just does their own thing. Yes, even the industry standard giants like Max, Maya, etc. You will find that every 3D software is just weird in the UI/UX department.

For the price of 0 though, Blender really is the best if you don't have a triple A studio budget. By "best", I mean it gives you PROPER tools to do work.
Wereknight
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wereknight »

Which might be the only tools you need and all in one package, basically
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Considering the price tag of the competitors, and the quality of the implementation of some of them (3ds max in particular), I'll take Blender over anything else on the market. And yea 2.8's UI didn't look that bad to me - I actually managed to do something in it.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Well, last time i tried was Blender 2.6 or 2.7 IIRC. Maybe it's time to give it a whirl again, if only the download didn't keep failing every single time i try to get it!

Still, i never had any sort of good thing to say about Blender, yeah i guess the Cycles render is very pretty and all that but every single MD3 exporter i try on it only exports completely broken models, the UI isn't exactly friendly to newbies, and you don't quite work with polys directly but instead you do these cuts and stuff which is certainly the most confusing thing about Blender i have seen.

I get it's a free program and everything but IMO it really doesn't deserve the giant amount of praise it keeps getting. I'll still use Maverick Model 3D for basic tasks but unfortunately i will have to switch to Blender if i want to get far in making characters.

I still wonder, how do i disable backface drawing in Blender? Many of my models are optimized for engines that don't draw backfaces or have the option to not draw them, for instance the character model that kinda looks like Mysterio i showed earlier, has an issue where her coattail (I guess that's how it's called?) displays the same color on both sides while it should display stripes on one side and dark purple on the other side.

Return to “Off-Topic”