Re: The WIP Thread

Post by DIMOShunter »

Sure.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Oh shit, I thought I lost these files. Found it and all the working files while cleaning out my backup media.
Now I wonder if it's worth 1: dusting off and updating to the latest version of GZDoom (this hasn't been worked on since ZDoom itself was gently abandoned) and 2: worth finishing at least the first chapter.
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Wait wait wait... I think i remember this mod... Thingie. Oh man, i also thought it was gone for sure after some event! Glad you found and restored it somehow! So are you considering reinforce it a little? Or adding more new stuff into it?
Project Shadowcat

Captain J wrote:Wait wait wait... I think i remember this mod... Thingie. Oh man, i also thought it was gone for sure after some event! Glad you found and restored it somehow! So are you considering reinforce it a little? Or adding more new stuff into it?
The workload is quite immense, most of it is going to be new sprite artwork for various NPCs. I am trying to avoid feature creep -- the bane of most game projects -- but I have many items on the list that never got added that I feel are critical enough for the mod. One such example is being able to melee with (almost) any weapon in your hands.
All I did today after a shopping trip was compile a much more comprehensive to-do list, something I was not actually using while I was making the mod before. Granted, I get easily overwhelmed, but the idea behind making a list was so that I can pick out a section and just do that for awhile, instead of trying to remember everything.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Hi all - I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place and stuff. Hello!

I'm making a Alien Breed 3D TC for GZDoom called Project Osiris. Alien Breed 3D was a shooter for the Amiga, part of the mid-90s rush to make 'Doom but on the Amiga'. At the time no-one got especially close to it with such limited hardware (though Doom did get ported to upgraded Amigas eventually), but some interesting things came out of it all the same. Even though a lot of people might consider the game to be quite bad, with its huge pixels and tiny viewport, I have a lot of nostalgia for it, as it was my first FPS experience.

For comparison purposes, here is a shot from the ORIGINAL game.

Oof, right? So here I am, making a mod to recreate the game in a modern engine. I'm new to this Doom modding thing so bear with me.

Some images of some things I've done so far:

I made a custom HUD that sort of follows the style of the original but fits a more Doom-like format - the full screen variant is still a work in progress right now. I'm also making a ton of little graphical enhancements to the game. Hopefully subtle enough that it's still recognisably the original game, but just to smooth out some of the rough edges of the original. The Pulse Rifle weapon being held here is redrawn, for example.

The enemies in the original only had 3 rotations, forward, back, and left/right, due to having to make the game fit in the somewhat measly 2MB the standard Amiga 1200 had available. I'm drawing new diagonal sprites for all the enemies - as you can see with the red chap here. This stuff is really time consuming so they might not make it to the first release - but I'm working on it. New plasma gun too!

The original had some actually kind of nice lighting effects in places - no idea how they pulled it off on the Amiga. I'm using dynamic lights to simulate these at the moment. Also, new shotgun.

This is a minor thing but I'm quite happy with it, it's one of those gamefeel things that you might not think about but makes all the difference - I learned enough ACS to redo the intro text screens from the original, and even improve on them a bit! The level names fade in beforehand and everything.

So yeah I hope that some people are interested in this - I've been working pretty hard on it over the past month or two. I'm not ready to put it out there yet, but half the levels are mapped out currently and all the features of the original game are basically working in some form - if not necessarily polished. So progress is happening!

BTW a few of you might remember Rayman the Hedgehog's post about an AB3D mod here a few months ago, it turns out I was working on the same idea when I discovered his post. This isn't the exact same mod as that, but I reached out to him and we've been collaborating and starting to merge our projects together, he's been helping me with the map geometry and various tweaks, including Zandronum compatibility. So thanks to him too!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that's one detailed, clear, promising and great post i have ever seen. I wish you good luck continuing this project! The assets you put into it is great and unique.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Can't wait to see more on this, it'd be lovely to play one of these obscure Amiga shooters with modern controls and a resolution that isn't smaller than the average Windows icon!
Rayman The Hedgehog

Post by Rayman The Hedgehog »

I'm so proud of this *sniff*
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, I bought that up when this new project was first posted about in Resources. Sadly, the guy apparently ran out of time to work on it. I hope he and his almost-carefully-concealed Poser-smut wallpapers are doing well.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Kinsie wrote:... :roll: Sadly, the guy apparently ran out of time to work on it. I hope he and his almost-carefully-concealed Poser-smut wallpapers are doing well.
"You can't do big things when you are distracted by small things." :roll:

Looks absolutely beautiful. Feels like an official HD reboot. And, as one of my favourite games of that era, will be keeping a close eye.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Project Shadowcat

What's the deal with the film grain?
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Project Dark Fox wrote:What's the deal with the film grain?
shaders or something.

but at least you can turn it off in the mod options iirc.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

People's eyes weren't as good in the 1940s. In fact, most people could only see in greyscale. ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”