The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Skelegant »

MartinHowe wrote:The reactor plant is coming along nicely.
Dont stay in the service pit without a radsuit for too long :)
I love how industrial and "realistic" this looks, without losing doom's fun sci-fi aesthetic :D All it needs are some ceiling lights and it'll be perfect

and while I'm commenting on how people's projects look
Zanieon wrote:Okay nevermind about finishing this thing this weekend, probably i'm gonna take the entire next week in case Ç_Ç (base is just like halfway done only)
I've always liked the unique dreamlike quality your maps have, it's like a combination of quake, medieval fantasy, and sci fi with a touch of "old church" thrown in :D
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

My shader works! Shaders are weird and I'm still getting the hang of them. Only thing left to do is to add some sort of tolerance to the colour remapping that will cause it to trigger on more shades of cyan than just #00FFFF.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well that looks super impressive! I really love that color-raving effect going on in the video. How did you even do that? :D
zrrion the insect

A screen space shader replaces any pixel on screen that is pure cyan with a pixel of a different colour. The gametics are passed into the shader with zscript and after some math the game tics become a number that can be used as an index for the array that picks the colour to replace cyan with.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Skelegant wrote:
MartinHowe wrote:The reactor plant is coming along nicely.
Dont stay in the service pit without a radsuit for too long :)
I love how industrial and "realistic" this looks, without losing doom's fun sci-fi aesthetic :D All it needs are some ceiling lights and it'll be perfect
Gee, thanks :) Which is what I have spent part of the weekend doing.
fv.jpg
Along with other stuff that I don't want to reveal before release :wink:

As an aside, I have gone for the "Doomy" feel, rather than a total conversion. It's meant to be a Classic Doom take on the original "Nuke Farmville" video made with World in Conflict, rather than a slavish replication of it.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Cherno wrote:
doomfiend wrote:Metroid music intensifies
Good to see you are still working on that Super Metroid project! Maybe I'll try my hand at some Brinstar textures and sprites.
I would love that honestly. I’m gonna add save stations for those who are willing to not abuse quick saves and use the save stations dotted around the map(s) so far I plan on having 5 non linear interconnected maps, I might actually add Ceres space colony (disguised as a UAC space station) as an introduction. I now have modeled Door caps with the brown, grey, blue, green, yellow, and red hatches. (I’m going down fusions route) this time as they won’t unlock till you get a weapon / got the security room(s) unlocked. After the crateria section I’m gonna five right into Red brinstar that goes into green brinstar. :)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Been learning GLDefs ...
fv.jpg
Now the explosive barrels do damage if the player gets near them, as well as exploding if damaged.
Had to make barrels immune to radiation damage :) Even empty barrels are mildly poisonous!
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

MartinHowe wrote:Been learning GLDefs ...
Now the explosive barrels do damage if the player gets near them, as well as exploding if damaged.
Had to make barrels immune to radiation damage :) Even empty barrels are mildly poisonous!
Looks great :D Does the hazmat suit protect you from barrel radiation?
Might I suggest cutting the ceiling light sectors into quarters and giving them effect 65 (light flicker)? That'll make the room a little more dynamic without being too distracting
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks - will make a note of that. I may not do it, or at least treat it as an added bonus if there is time; the reason being that this building is inside a huge outdoor area, so everything but the walls and floors are made entirely of 3D floors and it pushes the complexity level hard enough as it is :) Without UDMF being able to have more than one tag assigned to a sector, it would have been impossible!

And yes :)

Code: Select all

See:
        "####" "#"  0 A_JumpIfInTargetInventory ("PowerIronFeet", 1, "Ignore")
        "####" "#" 12 A_Chase
        Loop
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

MartinHowe wrote:Been learning GLDefs ...
fv.jpg
Since we are giving suggestions, I think you should maybe move that Hazard paint one or two pixels outward, so it pops, and maybe move the lights up or down, so they also pop, then instead of adding a flicker you can just lower the brightness of the entire room and add attenuated spotlights, which would give it a much less illuminated feel. I might also suggest making two of the lights broken, so that you have big shadows in those areas of the room, to really bring out those green colors. And fact, anytime you make something that has a cool lighting effect like that, you should have the player go through a dark room with it at least once just to really show it off. That's why Metroid Doom has so many dark rooms where the only light is from things like computer screens, electrical wiring, and switches.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks; I'll have a think about those once I have time - doing spiriting at the moment.

The silly thing is, I only used the barrels extra animations for the sprites (originally by Perkristian and Minigunner), but found BD had GLDefs for them and wondered what that did. I almost decided against using dynamic lights, as the level is supposed to have a classic look-and-feel -- however in the hi-tech of the reactor room, it kinda works :)

If by "pop", you mean mean vertical offset from the floor/ceiling, they are already - just by one pixel, enough to look realistic; most office lighting panels are as flush to the ceiling as they can be and hazard strip is at best a few mm thick. Maybe it's more noticable in game, so I will have to find a good free image host that allows inline linking and do better screenshots.
TrebbyTrebuchet

Post by TrebbyTrebuchet »

zrrion the insect wrote:
My shader works! Shaders are weird and I'm still getting the hang of them. Only thing left to do is to add some sort of tolerance to the colour remapping that will cause it to trigger on more shades of cyan than just #00FFFF.
is that weapon sway i see?
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

suffering. torment.

(i had to walk outside of the room to take this screenshot, the inside of it is just completely fudged)

edit: oh my god it works.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Huh. I guess which means we can map something by just putting the numbers around. Eh? Sounds mathematically fantastic enough! :D
zrrion the insect

That is super cool!

Return to “Off-Topic”