The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Tormentor667

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nash wrote: Something me and some people have been working on lately, there's a lot going on in this picture but I'll just leave this here without an explanation...
This looks extremely promising
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

This is also for the thing Nash posted:

Custom automap thingy. Rotates, scales, and otherwise does all the things the normal map would, but fits better in the stylings of the game.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Gutawer wrote:This is also for the thing Nash posted:
[image]
Custom automap thingy. Rotates, scales, and otherwise does all the things the normal map would, but fits better in the stylings of the game.
MAy I ask, are the graphics still based on sector lines as the normal automap, or is some custom data read that contains information for each tile?
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

We have someone over on Duke4.net who has been updating the MD3 exporter for us. I'll ask him if he can help with updating the current exporter to the latest version of Blender.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I got a couple of MD3 scripts for Blender recently, but I've barely done anything with them.
One is the one you can find on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35790
The other is an updated version of an old MD3 script for old Blender that was quite good. https://github.com/neumond/blender-md3
You could also try finding a MD2 script if none of the MD3 stuff works for you.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Cherno wrote: MAy I ask, are the graphics still based on sector lines as the normal automap, or is some custom data read that contains information for each tile?
The latter. I could theoretically have done it using the first method but it would have been slower and not handled some cases as well, plus it's less flexible.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Interesting. I'm currently developing a mod which also has tiles which could be walls, doors, or stairs, and I'll have to display them on some kind of map screen. I guess the most straightforward solution would be to just keep the tile data in a 2-dimensional array and draw the map drom this information, but it requires setting up this array for each map.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I’m interested in making a mini-mod for Strife that provides voices for all (or most) characters that are unvoiced in the vanilla game. Here are some examples in one audio file:

Preview

So far, I’ve done everything myself, but if anyone wants to have a part in the project, PM me.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Undead wrote:I’m interested in making a mini-mod for Strife that provides voices for all (or most) characters that are unvoiced in the vanilla game. Here are some examples in one audio file:

Preview

So far, I’ve done everything myself, but if anyone wants to have a part in the project, PM me.

Dude, these sound awesome! I like how you've kept the audio quality within the limits of the time (I can hear that filter ;) ).

You should do more of these. Well, apart from Blackbird maybe, haha.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

HOLY to the SHIT. I never heard these voice clips in Strife before! That would make the Gameplay a lot amazing and various. Really excellent work on that and i wish it gets finished. And sorry if i'm asking too much, but extra portraits for Acolytes or Peasants that has no such thing would be a Cherry on Top-
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

TDRR wrote:
abbuw wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:How is this done?
Dozens of manually placed additive sprites.
I still don't get it. How is this any better than plain old additive linedefs? It sounds way slower, both to place and to run in-game and i can't imagine any advantage of making it like this.
It does run alot slower for me, but I'm using a cheapo laptop with integrated graphics. The graphical effect of having the beam of light composed of dozens of sprites allows you to view it from more angles, the effect done with linedefs would have visible edges and seams and would be really really hard to get right over large open spaces. The same effect may be doable with models but 3D modelling software hurts my stupid dumb brain.

This wouldn't look as good as it does using linedefs, it'd probably run way faster though. I could probably knock half the sprites off but it may compromise the visuals.
i need to stop spoiling all the neat areas in my map that will never come out
Nash

Post by Nash »

More on "Project CoffeeBreak". Improved the demon and angel, and added experience bar. The artwork isn't usually that large, I just cranked the UI scale so you can see my hard-earned pixels better. =P
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Continuing with 3D models and sprites to expand HeXen set of decorations. To do next - render wooden bits that these decorations will brake into when destroyed.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

a model that bursts into sprites?
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

Tea Monster wrote:We have someone over on Duke4.net who has been updating the MD3 exporter for us. I'll ask him if he can help with updating the current exporter to the latest version of Blender.
I've not heard anything back from the guy as of yet.

As you guys have proper PBR lighting available, now would be the perfect time to bug your devs to give you a more modern model format. I would suggest FBX as it's widely supported by lots of different software and as such, probably isn't going to be a pain to keep maintained for a few years. Assimp does a great plug-in repository for adding various 3D model formats. https://github.com/assimp/assimp.

I don't know who the GZDoom devs are, but people here may want to bend their ears to this idea.

Return to “Off-Topic”