The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Nash »

Proof of concept modified Strife conversation menu class, with dynamic greetings and topics, as well as NPC disposition. Using page names makes scripting this stuff much more intuitive.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh my goodness. Now that's absolutely realistic! I really love the gib sound effect as well. So slurpy and sticky. And if that disposition thing existed on Strife, the game would've been real hard... XD
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Little question to OpenAL programmers:

https://streamable.com/896sh

For some reason, my audio panning is really extreme ATM. Since Descent calculates positional audio by creating a volume modifier based on distance and a panning angle (which the HMI SOS api wanted), I tried replicating that by creating a unattenuated source that's placed at a fixed distance away from the player, with the position given by the panning angle I get from the game. This mostly works, but it causes this extreme panning between the two channels. Am I configuring something wrong here, or is this cheap solution just not going to cut it?

edit disregard i interpreted the values from the Descent game code wrong, I was applying 2x rotation to the sound source rather than the right amount. Oops.
Last edited by InsanityBringer on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Nash

Post by Nash »

leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

All I can think of is controlling the shading model because it's not emphasizing joints very well. You got bananaknee going on with her
Nash

Post by Nash »

Added geometry to the knee, is this less banana, or?

EDIT:

Last edited by Nash on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I think that's enough. It's pretty much visible. Adding this kind of knee to male model would be neat.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Workin on my levels pack for gzdoom and thinking on the titlepic :roll:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

That's why I'm not gonna publish anything out of my maps, because somebody would always steal. Is there anyway I can sell my levels, is it legal?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Darkcrafter wrote:That's why I'm not gonna publish anything out of my maps, because somebody would always steal. Is there anyway I can sell my levels, is it legal?

I'll leave the legal side to someone more genuinely versed in the details of the sale, although as long as all content is original (i.e, no commercial sprites, textures, music or sounds in the wad, and even that titlepic with the cacodemons is a big grey area legally), generally the wads themselves are distributable.

The point I am going to make, is CAN you sell it? There are literally thousands of freely available levels for Doom out there in the wild. I'm not disparaging your work, but it would have to be pretty special or have some pretty heavy known talent behind it to get serious attention. Still, I wish you luck. You could always set up a patreon if you wish to do this sort of thing.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Well... This would be not so shady if you make maps for some kind of commission, after the agreement.
Darkcrafter

Post by Darkcrafter »

I wouldn't say that I'm a talent here nor they are awesome in terms of Doom level design, but what they indeed have is custom actors for a better world depiction. All this stuff makes the levels way more demanding GPU side. Even SIGIL was free if I'm not mistaken, I actually bought it before it came out with music and I thought this music is totally off the maps and doesn't suit the maps mood at all. The another aspect of the problem here is that my maps rely heavily on a custom zscript that allows for dynamic skybox written by Andrew "A-Bomb" Matzureff. I'm starting to realize that the best thing I can do here is maybe creating a simple blog or website with that donate button attached where I could write on the project status, but I'm afraid that somebody would steal my ideas. I also dedicate a lot of time to music, I have decided to make both midi and ogg versions of the songs, and midi must sound good with micrsoft gs wavetable and doom opl3 synthesizer.

But here is a catch again, the melody by itself is not always mine. I took Bob Prince approach here to adapt the real songs for the gameplay cutting some parts away and making it seamlessly looped.

Here is Witchaven 2 music: https://youtu.be/DMXRGKuMSwo
Here is my first idea on it: https://youtu.be/IyF1tnGGm2k
And here is what I'm using now: https://youtu.be/-8q51dmmSeI

So far there are 13 maps and there is a huge lot of work to be done yet, some of the maps are more than 1 years in making.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Darkcrafter wrote:I'm starting to realize that the best thing I can do here is maybe creating a simple blog or website with that donate button attached where I could write on the project status, but I'm afraid that somebody would steal my ideas.
Ideas are nothing without actual execution, so don't get too precious about them. After all, there's nothing original under the sun - everything's been done before... but it hasn't been done with your own personal stamp, and nobody can rip that off. Posting up work-in-progress materials and write-ups on what you're up to is how you get people excited in your work.

Twitter's #screenshotsaturday hashtag is a great example - scores of indie developers sharing amazing and beautiful things and attracting attention and vital feedback, inspiring each other and giving each other ideas on how to improve their own work. Another great example is... well... this thread. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”