The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Damage indicator video
I really like the look of that Nash. Is that one nearing completion?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Not yet. There are some issues with regards to damage dealt from either self-blown rockets, or exploding barrels, that I just haven't had the energy to figure out yet.

(the indicator shows a completely erroneous direction in said cases)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Fair enough. It looks cool anyway. I'm sure you'll get it sorted when you manage to get back into it.
RaveYard

Post by RaveYard »

My best attempt so far. Surprisingly very few modifications had to be done to weapons and monster for this to work.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Every single bullet of this mod is so big, so powerful, so badassly efficient, they pain-t your eyes red.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Does it work with models? I ask because of the peculiarities of model frame interpolations. I could imagine this getting broken when frame lengths are decreased, if they are.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Why sprite-based muzzle flashes on the pistol, but alpha PNGs for the shotgun?
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

Scuba Steve wrote:Why sprite-based muzzle flashes on the pistol, but alpha PNGs for the shotgun?
it doesn't
looking at the footage frame by frame, it's just the lump of bullets putting bloom into overdrive
i'm sure the ssg would glow like a sun each time its fired
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Wow you're right... that combined with the changed animation that lowers the sprite throws me for a loop.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

@RaveYard I NEED TO SEE HOW YOU DID THAT!

I haven't been able to figure out something more seamless than a modified PowerTimeFreezer item to slow down time, and you were able to slow down sounds too! I need to know how you did that!
RaveYard

Post by RaveYard »

Cherno wrote:Does it work with models? I ask because of the peculiarities of model frame interpolations. I could imagine this getting broken when frame lengths are decreased, if they are.
Good question. Even sprites tend to jitter sometimes just by moving around, so I'm expecting major trouble here. Might be solved by clearing interpolation, but I'd like to avoid doing that as much as possible.
DoomKrakken wrote:@RaveYard I NEED TO SEE HOW YOU DID THAT!

I haven't been able to figure out something more seamless than a modified PowerTimeFreezer item to slow down time, and you were able to slow down sounds too! I need to know how you did that!
Well it's made out of three basic parts. One is a modified base for all actors which either slows it's tick update (if it is a monster) or slows it's velocity down (if it is a projectile). It also updates sound pitches based on the slowdown using A_SoundPitch (and also has a A_StartSound wrapper). Second is a player which skips weapon updates to slow down weapons + also has slower movement in bullet time. Third is a weapon just to have a wrapper for A_StartSound... and possibly to switch between hitscan and bullet projectiles... but otherwise it probably isn't really needed. Since I intended to modify all the monsters+weapons either way I didn't bother making it as much universally compatible as it can be.

Good thing about this approach is that states in all actors remain clean with no extra complexity... but changing velocity directly or overriding tick method and things like that need to be aware of the timescale.

One thing that I haven't touched are doors and platforms which still move with the same speed. I have an idea about those but it's probably not going to work.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Could I have a copy of the mod (in PMs)? I'd like to see the code for myself, because I've been looking for more ideas for smoother slowdowns, to see which aspects of all actors should be slowed down.
Ivory Duke

Post by Ivory Duke »

I recently coded a Superhot powerup for Doosk but after release I was not fully satisfied with the result.
I have reworked it to require no weapon and monster edits and no FreezeTime powerup, only player is retouched.
Will release as a semi-universal micromod after the next Doosk update is out.

doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

EDIT:

Here have another screen shot of the cave connecting to the area now that its lit up

ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

All I did was change the sky graphic to solid white, and suddenly Carbon River is 10x spookier and more isolated... :shock:

Return to “Off-Topic”