The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
dpJudas

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by dpJudas »

TDRR wrote:I get it's a free program and everything but IMO it really doesn't deserve the giant amount of praise it keeps getting.
I'm not really a modeller, so I can't evaluate the product fully. But like Nash said, 3D tools all have their own conventions and weird logic and it can take a long time figuring out what they are. It took me forever to understand the logic behind what 3ds Max was doing. I still don't fully understand its viewport camera navigation. I'd say Blender is roughly as good or bad as the rest I've seen so far. For what its worth I understood the culling settings faster in Blender than I did in Max.

From my point of view it doesn't really matter much should its UI be worse. The price tag of the competitors, the Autodesk products in particular, makes it a situation where I have no real other realistic choice. Even renting Max for just one month is ridiculously expensive. It is no wonder a large number of hobbyists reached the same conclusion.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

On the things Blender can't do is this
ms3dsucksss.gif
My mention of the time I took in blender isn't really meant for that milkshape post from earlier, i've mentioned the time I took in one sitting everywhere I posted that ghost. I apologize if that seemed like condescending conduct.

However...once you take the time to learn how to make a basic figure, you'll be able to take on anything, and not having be limited to mash primitives together again. And when you learn this power to create, you won't need to find copyrighted model rips from copyrighted sources anymore.

When I first used Blender (back in the 2.3 days!), I extruded faces of that cube to resemble a bicep. This action led to an ecstatic feeling of not being locked to those 3 frickin 2d viewports playing pixel hunts with verts on primitives to move, select merge repeat in the lack of proper edge editing. It's ten times the feeling of an everquest *ding* in that becoming a 3d artist suddenly is feasible from that point.

Tab, E, R, W, G, Space, the clicking. Love these keys/buttons. Modeling doesn't all have to be about clikcing a button on a panel for every action. I usually go in the panels to turn on a background image (references etc), turn on a modifier (like mirror). and align the 3d cursor to 0,0,0 for when i need to move something precisely.

tl;dr: whatever path to 3d art you choose, the sooner you lose Milkshape from the toolchain, the better. Milkshape is notorious for being the delorean of 3d game art, with animation capabilities likely abandoned to sell you the sponsored motion crapture. You've got plenty of time to learn a tool that doesn't flip the table on your bones and you could break out of that ripping bubble. And remember - like drawings, maps, anything, etc... your first models will suck. It's part of the process.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

LET´S TURN UP THE HEAT!

InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

since blender is coming up right now, here's what I've been using it for lately. I honestly have zero experience making higher poly models (most of what i've done in the past has been from 100-300 polygons), so I decided to try to make a relatively accurate Pyro-GX model at a higher poly count (possibly something that could be comfortable in a modern game engine with some work? not enough for rendering, I imagine I'd have to go to sculpting there...)

I really don't know what I'm doing at all, with way too many useless loop cuts and a large amount of freehanded curves that look kinda wonky, but I think it's been a learning experience so far, and I've learned of a number of useful features while working on it.

(also the butt end is kinda messy at the moment but it's messy on the original model, there's actually a fair amount of clipping and the like on it in the original FMVs...)
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

leileilol wrote:My mention of the time I took in blender isn't really meant for that milkshape post from earlier, i've mentioned the time I took in one sitting everywhere I posted that ghost. I apologize if that seemed like condescending conduct.
Oh, okay. No big deal.
leileilol wrote:However...once you take the time to learn how to make a basic figure, you'll be able to take on anything, and not having be limited to mash primitives together again. And when you learn this power to create, you won't need to find copyrighted model rips from copyrighted sources anymore.
The mere reason i used those models as a base is that i certainly won't be able to do anything remotely close to the original characters from the show on my own in a realistic amount of time. Probably a year or so before i got good enough to make a model as accurate as that, Blender or not. Of course, i want to make good progress on that IZ game i'm doing before such a long amount of time.

Anyways, Invader Zim characters are copyrighted so there's like, absolutely no reason outside of freedom to not use the Globs of Doom models, they are way too good (Except for the Zim model but hey it's good for a start). Even if not, Incinerator Studios is dead, so i don't think they are going to jump out of their grave to tell me to remove the models. If by some miracle Nickelodeon gives us the license then i'll gladly sink in the effort required to recreate them from the ground up.

Now, i tried Blender, and 2.8 is waaaaaaaaaaay too slow to be usable on this craptop. Man, i love doing something and seeing visible changes 5 seconds later! Yeah, i know that's to be expected, it's a crappy laptop that is free for a reason, but even then i'm looking for something that can actually run on this. I haven't managed to get 2.79 yet (For some reason the only 2.79 installer i found installed 2.80?!) but i know it's going to take a very long time to get used to the ass-backwards UI.
leileilol wrote:When I first used Blender (back in the 2.3 days!), I extruded faces of that cube to resemble a bicep. This action led to an ecstatic feeling of not being locked to those 3 frickin 2d viewports playing pixel hunts with verts on primitives to move, select merge repeat in the lack of proper edge editing. It's ten times the feeling of an everquest *ding* in that becoming a 3d artist suddenly is feasible from that point.

Tab, E, R, W, G, Space, the clicking. Love these keys/buttons. Modeling doesn't all have to be about clikcing a button on a panel for every action. I usually go in the panels to turn on a background image (references etc), turn on a modifier (like mirror). and align the 3d cursor to 0,0,0 for when i need to move something precisely
Actually, Maverick Model 3D has many of the things Blender has without being so strange in it's UI design. My only real gripe is that there's not a materials and groups panel like in Milkshape 3D but to be honest the positives VERY LARGELY outweigh the negatives.

Extruding tool instead of plugin, being able to do every single thing you want with one viewport, binding stuff to keys, quickly going from orthographic to perspective and vice-versa on the same viewport, good plugin support, being VERY lightweight, very old GPU support, and some more. Maverick Model 3D many not be as much of a swiss army knife as Blender but it's a good quality knife. I'd say it's the Puppy Linux of the 3D art community, Light, tries not to sacrifice too much for size, and is easy to learn.
Plus, "Maverick Model" sounds pretty cool! :lol:
leileilol wrote:tl;dr: whatever path to 3d art you choose, the sooner you lose Milkshape from the toolchain, the better. Milkshape is notorious for being the delorean of 3d game art, with animation capabilities likely abandoned to sell you the sponsored motion crapture. You've got plenty of time to learn a tool that doesn't flip the table on your bones and you could break out of that ripping bubble. And remember - like drawings, maps, anything, etc... your first models will suck. It's part of the process.
Yeah at this point i switched almost entirely to Maverick Model 3D. It feels good to get updates often, and have them not be as hard to get as Blender's updates in this slow internet. Milkshape is a program i will still use but really sparingly, to export to other formats not currently supported by Maverick. Anyways, for the time being .obj and .md3 are decent enough. I know Noesis exists but it's really finicky to get something converted correctly, so not really worth using it. I can also ask for features and while they might take some time, it's more certain i will get them compared to asking for a feature for Blender.

Hey, most of the models i have done (Certainly more than 70%) aren't ripped. I only chose the Invader Zim rips because, as mentioned before, they are very high quality models. Really, the only thing that is "off" with those models are the default textures, and in Gaz's model, her mouth is under her head, while she should have it almost directly under the nose. Oh yeah and Zim doesn't look at all like himself but eh it's the only really bad model.

I'll probably try Blender 2.79 whenever i can get my hands on it, but i really doubt i'm switching to it.

EDIT: Oh wait, Maverick Model 3D doesn't actually have the ability to bind stuff to keys... Oh well, there goes my first feature request! :lol:
Last edited by TDRR on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nailz the Ravager
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Nailz the Ravager »

First attempts.
DOOM : FINAL COUNTDOWN - it's a DeHacked-based vanilla TC(it means 0% GZDOOM features) in 90' style.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

It's impressive to see that people loves and respect the good ol' DOS days of doom. Those sprites are very nice and original looking. Keep it up!
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

GordonGrand

Post by GordonGrand »

Nailz the Ravager wrote:First attempts.
DOOM : FINAL COUNTDOWN - it's a DeHacked-based vanilla TC(it means 0% GZDOOM features) in 90' style.
Good one, NailZ.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Guardsoul wrote:LET´S TURN UP THE HEAT!

DAT looks fantastic!
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@Guardsoul
I think it has too much fog imo. Not for the special fog there but the normal fog....needs to tone down a bit for the simple reason that it's harder to see monsters that are far away.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

InsanityBringer wrote:Image
since blender is coming up right now, here's what I've been using it for lately. I honestly have zero experience making higher poly models (most of what i've done in the past has been from 100-300 polygons), so I decided to try to make a relatively accurate Pyro-GX model at a higher poly count (possibly something that could be comfortable in a modern game engine with some work? not enough for rendering, I imagine I'd have to go to sculpting there...)

I really don't know what I'm doing at all, with way too many useless loop cuts and a large amount of freehanded curves that look kinda wonky, but I think it's been a learning experience so far, and I've learned of a number of useful features while working on it.

(also the butt end is kinda messy at the moment but it's messy on the original model, there's actually a fair amount of clipping and the like on it in the original FMVs...)
OOH MAN you know what would be awsome, a Fully rendered 3D Cockpit. Imagine that with something with vr support. the imersion
Funny that I actually prefer the Pyro GX over the Kodachi gunship from overload.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

A while ago, in the project ideas thread...
Tartlman wrote:My idea is a universal enemy modifier called "minibosses"...

Basically, at the start of each map, random enemies become minibosses. A miniboss is different in that you'll have to wear it down multiple times to kill it. Think a ratchet & clank boss, or something - to kill one of them, you first get a period where you can deal damage, and then the boss turns invincible and you have to do something to get rid of that invincibility to deal more damage. Basically, the miniboss would get a random way to do this - splitting in to tiny versions that you have to kill to bring the boss back in, selecting a bunch of nearby monsters as shield generators that protect it until they all die, or teleporting away somewhere else in the level (think hideous destructor's archvile).

If it wouldn't involve too many coding crimes, i'd probably try to give it legendoom and champions special compatibility...
It's nearing becoming completed enough to release as a 0.1, so i'll make a forum thread for that when it happens. It's a little different from what i wrote in the ideas thread, since i want a base to build off of - but i'd say it's pretty good. Currently, my goal is to strip it of debugging stuff and clean up the code (a lot).
kodi

Post by kodi »

Video link: https://streamable.com/0ejzq

Now using LibEye to not only project the cursor position to get the correct direction for guns to shoot in, but also to project the position of the gun's muzzle.
This allows projectiles and beams to seem to actually come out of the barrel no matter the angle.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Whoa. That's way cool.

Return to “Off-Topic”