The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
InsanityBringer

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by InsanityBringer »

of course in my haste to get this video recorded and uploaded I left behind some bugs I thought were going to be hard to fix. I fixed them like 20 minutes after uploading. Ugghhhhh.

while I'm at it, what is the license on the default soundfont included with GZDoom? Since I'm using FluidSynth I'd like to bundle with something so that users can at least get some music out of the box.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's a gray area, I don't think there's a license with it actually. It's based on the instruments from the Roland SC-55, so if you want something that you can distribute perfectly legally, e.g. for complying with Debian guidelines, then Fluidsynth comes with a free soundfont (fluid r3) but it doesn't sound that great with DOS era game midis.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

hmm. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and go for it. I'd like something decent out of the box, but I really don't want to write a midiproc hack to allow using the windows synth or something like that.

(galaxy brain ideas: wait for a FluidSynth release that supports DLS and if no soundfont is provided, load gm.dls from the system directory)

EDIT: So one cool feature of this port is that it gives me a playground to test some of the game's cut features. Like this one:
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Playing more of Control on my PS4, I keep being impressed by it's level architecture. I dig the brutalist spaces, the shades of concrete and the lighting. I've been playing around with this theme in GZDoomBuilder with a small set of hastely edited textures. Currently thinking about ideas for non-euclidean trickery with portals like trying to figure out a way to build an infinite/looping staircase.

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

InsanityBringer wrote:EDIT: So one cool feature of this port is that it gives me a playground to test some of the game's cut features. Like this one:
Pretty neat. Too bad it got cut, but I guess it saved them the trouble of designing the space station/mothership model since here we dock back to a mine access tunnel floating in the sky.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Another 3D asset for HeXen... I should probably finally release these...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Never seen that totally round wheel from Hexen 2 nor Heretic 2 before! :laff:
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

And yet, it's still reasonably low poly - the wheel have only 20 segments
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

^Very nice :wub:
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

@neoworm

Is this McDonald's? Cuz I'm lovin' it :P
Nash

Post by Nash »

neoworm wrote:Another 3D asset for HeXen... I should probably finally release these...
It really blends in with Hexen's retro art style. Nice work!
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

neoworm wrote:Another 3D asset for HeXen... I should probably finally release these...
I'll always appreciate more resources for Hexen!
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Adding Unicode support to the old Apogee/3D Realms "tinyfont" that I've been using in a few projects by now.
It's nice to get a bit more flexibility, but there's only so much that can be done with 5-7 pixels of height. (If anyone has any ideas on how to squeeze hiragana in there while looking legible, I'm aaaall ears...)

(ALSO: If anyone has any idea on the origins of this font - whether it's an Apogee/3DR original or from some Deluxe Paint shareware font pack or whatever - I'd love to know!)
(ALSO ALSO: If anyone knows how to view Rise of the Triad's font format, let me know - I think this font originated there and I might as well check if there's any exclusive glyphs!)
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I had an idea to kinda fake water dynamics for HeXen by using 3D models with animated texture to make nice waterfall with curve. Maybe adding a splashes under it or maybe even spawining non damaging falling projectiles along the water that splash if they hit something. I got the model mockup, now I am stuck at making the texture animate.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Nice. Maybe experiment with translucency for the waterfall. I recently discovered A_SpawnParticle which can be used for all kinds of effects, this might be a perfect fit.

Return to “Off-Topic”