The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
raymoohawk

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by raymoohawk »

i dont care how may compromises ive already taken im turning the pinkinator into a full spritesheet as soon as vacations arrive :)
IMX

Post by IMX »

Kinsie wrote: Good luck getting the rest - screenshot rips are a pain in the ass (and will be impossible in the case of VIOS) and nobody cares enough to reverse-engineer things.
Thanks for the heads-up; I was pretty aware of your ripping attempt made years ago and I attempted to do my own thing. Yesterday I was replaying the game and I remember the sprites having plenty of frontal frames (they don't have full rotations, but it shouldn't be detrimental because they don't have them), they have two idle frames (the second frame is just the upper part moving 1 pixel down and then going up; hmm, what mods have this kind of animation?), one or two attack frames and the pain state.

Greater Sawcubus has two idle frames, two attack frames (which I managed to get in a pretty good way) and a pain state.

Pinkinator has one attack frame, shoots a green gooey liquid (for years we thought it was a Baron's fireball, but it could be a giant goober) and unfortunately the blood decals get in the way so I can't really take a good screen out of his pain animation (1 frame), what I can do, however, is to take several screens and then later edit the parts where the blood is blocking the frame

Sentry Bot has FOUR idle frames and two attack frames, and a "dormant" state too (when you discard it). This is the kind of friendly enemy you want to put in the PC ver.

Now, the VIOS' sprite has a bit of transparency, I would say that is 25% transparent, and I sort of managed to take a few screens out of him; two idle frames, two attack frames and a pain state. A clean rip COULD be possible.

Also some weapons have some pretty cool animations, the chainsaw for example, it goes up in its final attack frame and looks pretty neat. Could also be used as a base for a PC sprite. And I managed to get a bug going on when I idclipped through level 1, and the dude who gives you the assault rifle dissapeared, leaving the rifle just floating mercilessly for a clean shot of it.

The chainsaw has a nice pickup sprite, and there's plenty of items with some decent sprites that would fit the PC ver. perfectly.

Yeah, sucks to be doing all of this in such a hacky way, but it's just how it is; fraggle (from the Doomworld forums) had a pretty hard time figuring out the .bsp map format of the original Doom RPG, now imagine someone trying to figure out the encryption of the texture files from both games. And once again, people would be pretty interested in playing (and modding) the RPGs if it wasn't for id (and Beth) discontinuing the first game and leaving the second one available for just one single platform.

I'm not really sure if there's a way to record what you're doing in the iPhone, and if it's possible to send the game application into the background so you can run another thing. The iOS ver. of D2RPG has arguably better looking sprites, they may not look Doomy, but they're as hi-res as they can get.
raymoohawk wrote:i dont care how may compromises ive already taken im turning the pinkinator into a full spritesheet as soon as vacations arrive :)
My man. In that case give me a couple of hours while I try to get some clean sprites out of what I did yesterday.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

IMX wrote:I'm not really sure if there's a way to record what you're doing in the iPhone, and if it's possible to send the game application into the background so you can run another thing. The iOS ver. of D2RPG has arguably better looking sprites, they may not look Doomy, but they're as hi-res as they can get.
You can take screenshots on an iOS device, and if you buy Reflector you can wirelessly stream your screen to a window on your PC.

One possibility is BREW: if we can get a BREW version of the game running in an emulator (I'm not sure this is entirely possible, but stick with me here) it may be using some form of OpenGL/MiniGL, leaving it prime material for one of those generic "dump textures to disk when loaded" injectors. I got something like this working an absolute treat with Orcs & Elves DS...

Oh yeah, if you're using the debug cheats, check out the test map. It should make things a bit easier.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

A mate and I undertook a quest of 64 thousand blocks of art
Hand made. (except for the base background or red wool blocks)
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

dear
Nash

Post by Nash »

^^ That's... just too amazing.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

now you're the man and the half blocks.
IMX

Post by IMX »

Kinsie wrote:
IMX wrote: Oh yeah, if you're using the debug cheats, check out the test map. It should make things a bit easier.
I did, and took plenty (if not most of them) of screenshots that day from that map. All of the Pinkinator sprites I'm about to post come from her room in the game.

(Menu > Press 3666 (DOOM) > RenderMode = TCPS)

That turns off ALL of the texture walls and ceilings, leaving the sprites alone in a black background.

So anyway, let's get down to business. What I'm about to post comes from the 240x320 version of the game I got running on kEmulator. Hopefully there won't be any graphical differences between Kinsie's rip and mine, so let's see how it goes...
Idle frames, attack frames, pain state and corpse (it's green because that's how it was in the game, not sure if it's supposed to be red) Closeups also included
Idle frames, attack frames, pain state and corpse (it's green because that's how it was in the game, not sure if it's supposed to be red) Closeups also included
Also here's a much nicer version (iOS) courtesy of Gamefaqs

Hopefully this will help raymoohawk if he's going to work on Pinkinator
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

ImageImage

Whoa, I’m actually having fun animating again and the results don’t look like complete shit? What is this, opposite day?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Kinsie wrote:
Spoiler:
Whoa, I’m actually having fun animating again and the results don’t look like complete shit? What is this, opposite day?
Sup Houston, how's it goin'?
Last edited by Big C on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Retexture job on the docks in my map. This has a very odd mix of hand drawn textures and digitized textures. I am thinking about changing the sky texture to be something cloudier, to fit with winter or whatever.
Spoiler: Screenshot!
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Top list is deck, bottom list is hand.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this, but wheeee I'm proud of it anyway especially with ZDoom's frankly terrible array manipulation, at least as far as I can find.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

More lighting and details in the club.
Spoiler:
Needs more dynamic lights.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Big C wrote:Sup Houston, how's it goin'?
That mask has gone places, I tell you what.
Nash

Post by Nash »

abbuw wrote:Retexture job on the docks in my map. This has a very odd mix of hand drawn textures and digitized textures. I am thinking about changing the sky texture to be something cloudier, to fit with winter or whatever.
Spoiler: Screenshot!
Too. Freakin'. AWESOME!

Return to “Off-Topic”