The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Zanieon »

Tormentor667 wrote:BIGDOOR totally feels out of place. Either you stick to stock Doom textures or at least textures that are in classic Doom style or you keep the new textures' style. Don't mix them.
Certain textures i never replace their usages as players are already used to them and this makes navigation a lot easier, i still remember playing UAC Ultra and for a fuckton of times people keeps wondering what is a door and what is a switch and i find pretty bad the idea of you having to look at automap to know what is a door.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You simply have to make it intuitive or make the player learn in the map itself what's a door and what's not. Though mixing different styles of textures simply is a proof of bad design choices, it's something that always distracts me and tells me "This map is visually good or it visually fails".

On topic: I love colors.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Nash wrote:Double post!!! Fully colourizble RGB UI like Fallout 4. There'll be RGB sliders in the options menu to customize it.

Ignore unfinished player paperdoll
What's with that tree popping in and out of existence in the background?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Zanieon wrote:Certain textures i never replace their usages as players are already used to them and this makes navigation a lot easier, i still remember playing UAC Ultra and for a fuckton of times people keeps wondering what is a door and what is a switch and i find pretty bad the idea of you having to look at automap to know what is a door.
I can think of 4 ways to mitigate this:

Make it distinct from the background: since I assume you want to stick to the neon aesthetic, then make the doors glow with a distinct neon color to mark them as such.

Use textures with a button to the side or a handle: don't use plane textures for doors, make them have handles or small buttons to show that they can be interacted with.

Show what a door looks like straight of the bat, like right in front of them when they start: This eliminates confusion and serves as a mini-tutorial of sorts.

If all else fails, post a sign on the door: "Bar", "Lobby", "302", and other things like that help. the most time consuming but the least confusing (hey that rhymed.)
Tormentor667 wrote:Image
We gonna get the gostapo now or no? Because I love me some supernatural nazis for killing
Nash

Post by Nash »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Nash wrote:Double post!!! Fully colourizble RGB UI like Fallout 4. There'll be RGB sliders in the options menu to customize it.

Ignore unfinished player paperdoll
What's with that tree popping in and out of existence in the background?
That's the "spawn objects based on map checksum" test code at work. I changed something in the level for that one shot and suddenly the tree spawned there. XD
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Some strange contraption. This map's probably not gonna be vaporware, should come out sometime this year or next year. No promises.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nash wrote:Ignore unfinished player paperdoll
I refuse to ignore it. In fact, I'll ask if you have equippable bombs and a "scream" button yet. :P
Zanieon wrote:Certain textures i never replace their usages as players are already used to them and this makes navigation a lot easier, i still remember playing UAC Ultra and for a fuckton of times people keeps wondering what is a door and what is a switch and i find pretty bad the idea of you having to look at automap to know what is a door.
I'm with Torm on this. It's 100% possible to make unique doors. And imagine someone playing your mod who's never even played Doom. (It's not that big a stretch.) They'll think that door looks really stupid.

Doom itself has a lot of different door textures, including an entirely different set for gothic/hell maps that look nothing like the techbase ones.

There's really three things you need for a working door:
  • Distinctive textures. They can be themed with the rest of the level just fine, as long as you're not sharing them with regular walls/decor. (Something I admit Heretic really suffers from, with its limited palette.)
  • Context. Most doors in Doom engine games are inset into a doorway, which makes it very obvious what you're looking at. In particular, angled walls and border lights draw attention to it.
  • It needs to open, obviously. (Unless it's not supposed to open. This is where "locked" messages, signs, distinctive textures, dimmed lights, etc. come in.)

(Admittedly, Mikk has a good point too. :P )
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

You might also take "the Valve approach": light the path to the door, in contrast to everything else. Use light to draw the eye towards it, dim everything else.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

And when in doubt, conceal them behind massive hatches that require a sequence of switches to open. ;)
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Okaythanksbye:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Much better
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

hsypwjvl.png
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

it looked better the way it was and you're all being pedantic
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

At this rate, Zanieon might just put a blank texture because "fuck it, no one can decide what the door should look like."
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

That wouldn't look very good at all. Plus it would be really confusing for players.

Return to “Off-Topic”