The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Captain J »

Tormentor667 wrote:Image
Escape one of the most terrific Gestapo prisons of the Reich at the beginning of Chapter 2, just where you left off. With this escape, new game mechaniques are introduced - stay out of the light! #boachapter2
Hoh wow, it's really amazing that we actually can make realistic maps like this one! I'll never let it go!
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Gotta say though, the model "lighting" is kind of an eyesore when compared to everything else.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Tormentor667 wrote:#boachapter2
You know there's no hashtags on this forum, right? :P
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Gez wrote:You know there's no hashtags on this forum, right? :P
I am a lazy copy'n'paster ;)
Dancso wrote:Gotta say though, the model "lighting" is kind of an eyesore when compared to everything else.
Unfortunately something we can't do anything about, but who knows what the future brings now that so many interesting things have been added to GZDoom :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote::shock: Some actual working stealth-like mechanics in Doom? Please tell me that, as well as being easily spotted when you are in the light, you can hide from alerted enemies by being in the dark and wait for them to stop searching for you. That would be amazing. :ninja:
Exactly that, the system is capable of doing these fancy things even though we reduced the complexity a bit in C2M1. People don't seem to be able to adapt to that when they are used to normal ego shooters :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:Reply to Enjay...
Ooops, I saw that you had also posted in the BOA thread so I moved my comment to there before you replied. The stealth stuff sounds very interesting though. Very interesting indeed. Looking forward to trying it out.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

hide and seek from giant, flashy light sources is probably my least favorite mechanic about stealth in video games, especially if it results in an arbitrary "you lose" scenario.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If it's well done it's fine; good even. I thought that it was done pretty well in the early MoHAA levels (if perhaps a bit easy). Another WWII game (I forget whether it was Wolfenstein of CoD) had a sneaky level that was pretty poor though. It was daylight (so no flashy light source) and I'd find myself wandering around a forest, being seen by bad guys and losing the mission (forced to restart) without having the slightest clue about where the enemies who had seen me were.

Nothing has come close to the precision and proper stealthing of the Thief games IMO.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Battle your way through a small town and a medieval chateau occupied by the Wehrmacht infantery - occult and sick things are going on here, so be prepared! #boachapter2
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I'm loving the increased frequency of these beautiful screenshots... lets me know this is really going somewhere! And fast!

Keep it up, Torm! :D
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Now, let's see how it plays...
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Been polishing the incoming stuff of HM V2.9 while Doomslayer is in development yet.

I decided to change the spell rings before the Black Hole casting so it doesn't makes the player blind anymore if Bloom post-process is enabled, also found and fixed the problem with the low fps when Black Hole is created, now i just need make monsters have a proper death state for that because the common gibbing one still drops the fps if not playing with the original gore effects in low level.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

THE RUNE OF TOTAL (PLANET) DESTRUCTION!!
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Enjay wrote:If it's well done it's fine; good even. I thought that it was done pretty well in the early MoHAA levels (if perhaps a bit easy). Another WWII game (I forget whether it was Wolfenstein of CoD) had a sneaky level that was pretty poor though. It was daylight (so no flashy light source) and I'd find myself wandering around a forest, being seen by bad guys and losing the mission (forced to restart) without having the slightest clue about where the enemies who had seen me were.

Nothing has come close to the precision and proper stealthing of the Thief games IMO.
That was one of the earlier to mid missions of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, where you're tasked to first pick up an airdropped Snooper rifle and then infiltrate a base.
Trance

Post by Trance »

The preliminary stealth segment prior to entering the V-2 launch facility. Yeah, that was pretty painful to go through.

Not as painful as the later stealth segment, though, where you have to sneak through Paderborn assassinating all the high-level Nazis along the way, and at virtually any point someone could spot you and/or make too loud a noise, thus spooking the guard at the very end of the level manning the panic button, and Game Over.

Me, Hellser, IB and Ryan tried the co-op mod for RTCW a few months ago, and though the Forest level was doable, Paderborn was basically impossible. After being reset dozens of times over the span of a few hours, we finally gave up on that level and skipped it.

Return to “Off-Topic”