Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by Nailz the Ravager »

Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

wildweasel wrote:We are not having this argument in here yet again.
Awww, I wanted to unjustly insult someone again.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Impressive and aesthetic ambient colors, city map and weapon sprites even. All are so new to me! Keep going, Ravager.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

InsanityBringer wrote:taking a stab at making a sdl 2 descent port that's focused on software rendering, since that's a hole that's sorta been missing in the descent world.
Thank you!

That was a hole that was only briefly filled in the early d1x/d2x days and then there was this silly GL fork arms race and no chocolate descent effort to be found since. XL had an obvious ego problem that should need no elaboration, and Rebirth's kind of Legacy-ish and I got frustrated trying to get the music to sound right (the "OPL music pack" are inaccurate recordings that claim to be true) or having the lasers be opaque instead of forced additive. While I could snag the source and fix some of the stuff for myself, it's still not a complete authentic representative experience to the end user.

:thinking: Maybe you could later on make some separate software renderer for a 's3 virge' mode, being slow and all that to recreate the 1996 Stealth 3D 2000 Descent II experience.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Nailz the Ravager wrote:
wow, a proper sequel (or remake) of one of the worst fps games, angst?
this i should look at.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

looking pretty good so far. Finally squashed some memory corruption bugs with the C version of the texture mapper, by comparing it to the ASM version, so views without the status bar are now usable, especially the high resolution modes.

Things left to do involve fixing up the mission loading code (it's going to be fun having to write portable directory iteration code that doesn't cause the game to choke if it gets a filename greater than 12 characters...), get sound and music working, get some sort of configuration system working so you can specify the size of the window, which of my two scaling modes to use, fullscreen or not, and so on. Music and Sound is worrying me a little in particular. Sound, I can probably whip up something reasonable with OpenAL, but I have no idea what to with MIDI music at all.
Maybe you could later on make some separate software renderer for a 's3 virge' mode, being slow and all that to recreate the 1996 Stealth 3D 2000 Descent II experience.
Hah, that'd be pretty fun, tbh. I don't think I've ever played with that version, but I know my dad had the Voodoo version at some point. I remember him being disappointed with the performance of it.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

IIRC what slowed down the Voodoo version a lot were the excess pixel buffer writes (The cockpit/hud stuff). Voodoos were notoriously slow when dealing with that, and is even worse on a Voodoo2 SLI. Later on there's been releases of a few DirectDraw games that allow blitting to a Voodoo card - which sometimes lead to PSAs urging to NOT use the Voodoo for those games (like Simcity 3000) since it'd be so slow.

Also if you make a "voodoo" software renderer in the future, you have my blessing to use my C-based Voodoo filter code from PCem to blur it up a bunch. ;)
InsanityBringer

further progress video, this one demonstrating sound and demos and some janky gameplay on my end and yet another new bug i haven't seen before.

At this point, there's still a bunch of things left to do but it's basically playable which is nice. What's left to do:
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

InsanityBringer wrote:Add fluidsynth. The license should work out, but it'll require the user to find a soundfont. There's enough crappy sc-55 ones out there though that people probably won't have much trouble... It'll also require me to write a HMI decoder, but the third party documentations on the spec should be helpful there.
You could just lift the MIDI code from GZDoom. It plays HMI just fine, and also GZDoom now comes bundled with a lightweight soundfont for FluidSynth that sounds reasonably close to SC-55. Sure, users should be allowed to set up their own if they prefer but it'd be good as a default option.
InsanityBringer

I'd be fine with that, but isn't that code under the GPL? This project forces me to work with a relatively restrictive non-commercial license.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You'd have to go back to an older version then, e.g. ZDoom 2.8.1. That contains no GPL code.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's under the three-point BSD license in ZDoom. I would have thought it'd still be under the same license in GZDoom since the relicensing only needed to apply to code that was previously under the Doom source license or under dual GPL/non-commercial license schemes like the MAME OPL stuff.
InsanityBringer

Hmm, yeah, the old ZD source is a good point. How about the soundfont? Would it fall victim to similar licensing problems?

Also, hmm, I'm still looking for a OPL emulator, I guess since there's OPL emulators in these old versions in theory I should be able to find a core, but I wonder what the quality of them are.
Gez

Post by Gez »

NukedOPL is the most accurate I believe. It's the most recent, at least, and it was contributed to ZDoom so it's under the BSD.
Morgondagen
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Morgondagen »

Something simple.

Return to “Off-Topic”