The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Lex Safonov
After having played Powerslave EX I understand what you mean, however I would describe it as similar to the energy tanks in the Metroid series :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I think the PSX levels architecture would be harder to emulate too. There are many passages which the player must blow up using barrels.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

GAA1992 wrote:I think the PSX levels architecture would be harder to emulate too. There are many passages which the player must blow up using barrels.
That happens in the PC version, too, though.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Lex Safonov wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:I wonder if it will feature goodies both from PC and PS1 version? There is a bit different weapons and their behavior.
On the PS1 version is a completely different system of ammo and lives. There are used "spheres" that replenish the ammunition for the weapon that is in the hands at the moment. Lives use "levels" - the ability to dial hp up to 200-300 units (depending on the level).
In the PC version, everything is absolutely the opposite, each weapon has its own ammunition. And instead of "life levels" - the ability to die in the game.
All this is basically irrelevant. What I was wondering if it will have both weapons of PC and PS1 version. Like, can I have both Ring of RA weapon from PS1 and that one magical staff from PC version at the same time, and have the bracelet hand weapon being able to shoot both lightning and summon the thunderstorm wrath? While still being able to collect the PS1 upgradeble items like high jump, flying, etc?
Nash

Post by Nash »

equippable bags. increases max encumbrance, in-world sprite will update to reflect it too
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Lex Safonov wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:I wonder if it will feature goodies both from PC and PS1 version? There is a bit different weapons and their behavior.
On the PS1 version is a completely different system of ammo and lives. There are used "spheres" that replenish the ammunition for the weapon that is in the hands at the moment. Lives use "levels" - the ability to dial hp up to 200-300 units (depending on the level).
In the PC version, everything is absolutely the opposite, each weapon has its own ammunition. And instead of "life levels" - the ability to die in the game.
All this is basically irrelevant. What I was wondering if it will have both weapons of PC and PS1 version. Like, can I have both Ring of RA weapon from PS1 and that one magical staff from PC version at the same time, and have the bracelet hand weapon being able to shoot both lightning and summon the thunderstorm wrath? While still being able to collect the PS1 upgradeble items like high jump, flying, etc?
I still think about it. The specifics of my work is a complete copy of the original game. So far at this stage it is difficult to say something. At the moment, weapons are just a test version. I focused entirely on the program, which can edit the animation data in the original game.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro

Post by TDRR »

Nash wrote:Ported a C++ random dungeon algorithm to ZScript (the version 3 one), and cranked it to 11. :D

pls releas this
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Made an ACS function to draw a line of actors between two things:

Code: Select all

function void DrawLineBetweenThings(str lineactor, int thing1, int thing2, int sparsity, int height)
{
	int x, y, z, loop1;

int dist = distancez(thing1, thing2);
	int particlenum = (dist >> 16)/sparsity;

int xdiff = getactorx(thing1) - getactorx(thing2);
	int ydiff = getactory(thing1) - getactory(thing2);
	int zdiff = getactorz(thing1) - getactorz(thing2);	

until (loop1 >= particlenum)
	{
		x = ((xdiff/particlenum)*loop1)+getactorx(thing2);
		y = ((ydiff/particlenum)*loop1)+getactory(thing2);
		z = ((zdiff/particlenum)*loop1)+getactorz(thing2);

SpawnForced(lineactor,x, y, z+height,0,0);

loop1++;
	}

x = getactorx(thing1);
	y = getactory(thing1);
	z = getactorz(thing1);

SpawnForced(lineactor,x, y, z+height,0,0);	
}
Using this for a mod I'm working on but someone else might find it useful. It also uses the distancez function I found on the ZDoom wiki, so be sure to include that.

function int distancez (int tid1, int tid2)
{
	int len;
	int y = getactory(tid1) - getactory(tid2);
	int x = getactorx(tid1) - getactorx(tid2);
	int z = getactorz(tid1) - getactorz(tid2);

int ang = vectorangle(x,y);
	if(((ang+0.125)%0.5) > 0.25) len = fixeddiv(y, sin(ang));
	else len = fixeddiv(x, cos(ang));

ang = vectorangle(len, z);
	if(((ang+0.125)%0.5) > 0.25) len = fixeddiv(z, sin(ang));
	else len = fixeddiv(len, cos(ang));

return len;
}
Nash

Post by Nash »

Fully working character enchantments and effects system. Enchantments are containers for "effects" and effects are what really alters the character. List of effects will grow dynamically as more effects are added to an enchantment. Enchantments can be generated during run-time so it's possible to do some kind of crafting system where you can attach your own enchantments to items you equip. All stat changes from enchantments are also reflected on the character sheet here.

Here's what the Test Enchantment looks like:

class TestEnchantment : LADCharacterEnchantment
{
    {
        LADCharacterEnchantment.Name "Test Enchantment";
    }

override void InitEffects(void)
    {
        AddEffect(TYPE_Encumbrance, 25);
        AddEffect(TYPE_Strength, 1);
        AddEffect(TYPE_Luck, -1);
    }
}
Ignore the shitty UI layout, the entire character screen is overdue for a complete rewrite using a proper UI framework like Gutawer's ZForms, instead of raw Screen.* calls like what I've been doing here (my UI code is close to unmaintainable now).
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I think Bethesda's games are influencing you way too much judging from all this terminology. :P
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

What you making there Nash?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

So the Enchantment can be added by any kind of affection like eating and get poisoned? Looks interesting if you ask me!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Pretty happy with how stable this thing runs in coop. Even with saving, loading, traveling between levels, etc.
SamVision wrote:What you making there Nash?
A poor man's Fallout New Vegas I suppose. =P
Captain J wrote:So the Enchantment can be added by any kind of affection like eating and get poisoned? Looks interesting if you ask me!
Yes. The whole point of the system was added because I thought that hard-coding "if player equips backpack, add 25 to max encumbrance", "if player equips this armor, add 3 to speed" ... is a very bad way to solve the problem, from a programming point of view. So instead I wrote a complete "enchantment" system so that I can speedily apply stat buffs and debuffs to any item.

The "Enchantment" terminology is only internal and it can be called whatever the developer wants, because the necessary strings are exposed through LANGUAGE. I just chose the word "Enchantment" because it looks better than "Buff", "StatBonus", etc... =P
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

a bunch of descent explodey boys, using the original textures. Figured I'd give it a try while playing with "upgraded" models. I had originally wanted to keep these within a sane 90's polygon budget, but I kinda failed hard on that tbh. All of them are below 100 faces, but the original models only ever cap out at 37 faces... and that's with faces sliced up by BSP, I don't want to think of what a BSP builder would do to the polycount on my models...

I need to pull out Descent 3's assets and examine them closer, I'm wondering if this fits within a late 90s polygon budget where z-buffering was starting to be normal so the models don't even need to be sliced up anymore.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote:A poor man's Fallout New Vegas I suppose. =P
Daggerfall with guns!

Return to “Off-Topic”