The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by TDRR »

RaveYard wrote:...and if you want A_SpawnItemEx with SXF_SETMASTER, the spawned actor must have +ISMONSTER flag, otherwise it won't work.
This is sorta unrelated, but HUGE thanks for this. I have been trying to figure out why the heck SXF_SETMASTER wasn't working in a mod of mine, and just before giving up because thinking it was unfixable, i tried out this suggestion and it finally worked. Again, thanks a lot!

EDIT: Except it's still broken in Zandronum and only got fixed in ZDoom 2.8.1... crap.
Last edited by TDRR on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

sigh buried by newpage

it's out by the way
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Glad you're contributing more stuff to the community, leilei :P
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

I'm currently working on learning ZScript and decided converting my reasonably simple ACS multiple backpack system to ZScript would make for some good hands on experience. What an absolute nightmare! I thought ZScript was supposed to make implementing advanced things easier than using ACS/Decorate hacks, welp that certainly isn't the case when it comes to Backpacks and Ammo.

What went from my trivial CustomInventory backpacks calling an ACS script when picked up turned into multiple legit backpack items and a mess of ZScript checks and workarounds.

The old simple ACS:
Spoiler:
The new ZScript: (It's not finished yet, I've got the base functionality down but I still have to add the specific ammo types)
Spoiler:
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I'm too much of a smooth-brain to understand or even implement Zscript into my stuff yet. Kudos to you, alpha, for making something so clean and compact in comparison.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Doomgirl or teenage angst Doomguy? You decide
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

leileilol wrote:oh no pso is turning 20 and that's causing me to do things about it
fnw.png
Doomkart?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Yes and no. It's Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart, but uses the doom engine.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Can the SRB2 engine even be considered a Doom engine at this point? It's based off of Doom Legacy, but there are so many changes that it's absolutely its own thing at this point.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Scripten wrote:Can the SRB2 engine even be considered a Doom engine at this point? It's based off of Doom Legacy, but there are so many changes that it's absolutely its own thing at this point.
My answer is definitely yes. All the basics (mostly the same rendering methods, mostly the same map format with some additions, mostly the same lump format, etc. etc.) are still very close in how they work to Doom, there's still the same way objects work, etc. etc. It will stop being a Doom engine once another engine is used, IMO.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I guess more improvement to the engine might be important. It's not really doom engine-free game unlike Blood or The Rise of the Triad. The engine of both games are highly enhanced, it looks very much distinctive.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

A drastic different art direction (technical and aesthetic) and a new palette goes a long way in taking the familiar engine smell off. It's still very Legacy Doom but with some slopes and some additional surface effects and some other interesting things. Heck it can even still play on older XP machines...
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Old HUD in Wolfenstein 3DGE being ditched in favour of a status bar. Makes it feel a little more authentic.

Wereknight
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wereknight »

Might as well count that as my personal achievement.
Not only I managed to model a hand, but also unwrap the UV and apply basic skeleton to it. FINALLY!
Now my sprite works will get new deranged step, heh.
Importantu notum that this thing is for lowres renders to that then will be base for decent spriteworks.
Spoiler:
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

CeeJay wrote:Old HUD in Wolfenstein 3DGE being ditched in favour of a status bar. Makes it feel a little more authentic.
that looks super slick. it really brings the mac look together. also this is extremely nitpicky, but the health and ammo labels don't have any padding between the border of the status bar. known issue?

Return to “Off-Topic”