Decent computer chair?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Decent computer chair?

Postby Enjay » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:23 am

Can anyone recommend a decent computer chair: one that is comfortable and doesn't start to break after a few months of use?

Personally, I use an antique wooden chair that is comfortable enough, but it sure is robust. I have owned it for decades and prior to that it saw heavy use in an office.

However, everyone else I know seems to go through computer chairs really quickly - regardless of how much is spent on them. Sooner or later, they just start to break and eventually the fail entirely.

So, any suggestions? (Preferably with links where they can be bought in the UK.)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Decent computer chair?

Postby NiGHTMARE » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 am

I splashed out on this relatively expensive chair around 14 months ago. It has good neck and back support, reclines, has a foot rest, and even comes with a massage pillow!

The only issue I've had with it is that one of the arms keeps coming lose (and needs tightening up again with an allen key), but that may be because my other half keeps leaning on it :)

Upstairs I still have an old computer chair that's almost 10 years old and is absolutely fine, other than a bit of plastic having broken off one of the arms (underneath it's metal, so it's not really an issue). Unfortunately I couldn't tell you the make or model, as it was a birthday present.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 am

I've had this same old swivel office chair for almost 20 years and it shows no sign of breaking. It was probably built in the 90s before everything was cheap untempered metal and low-quality plastic.

My mother has a similar chair we brought from Hong Kong when we immigrated in the late 80s and it still works fine.

The trick seems to be to find something close in age to your wooden chair (or, really, just stick with that).
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Enjay » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am

NiGHTMARE wrote:I splashed out on this relatively expensive chair around 14 months ago. It has good neck and back support, reclines, has a foot rest, and even comes with a massage pillow!

Thanks - that was actually one that I had looked at myself. However, from the pictures, it did worry me that - despite being relatively expensive and looking cool - many of the typical failure points looks no more robust than cheaper chairs (as far as I could tell from the preview pics anyway). Good to get a positive review.

@Matt - they don't make 'em like they used to. ;)
Enjay

Postby dpJudas » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:52 am

My current chair is a Noblechairs ICON with Nappa Leather. I'm not sure if they make that exact model anymore, but its latest variant of it seems to be the ICON Black Edition. So far it hasn't shown any sign that it is going to break after 1 year of heavy use.

In general, I would be very wary of anything labeled gamer or from a known gamer brand. Almost everything they create is the cheapest quality around - basically junk with leds. Or in the chair market, low quality shaped as a car seat. ;)

If you find a way to reliably find quality chairs, please let me know. Throwing more money after a chair just seems to make the chair look like a space ship. It doesn't buy you quality materials, sadly.
dpJudas

Postby Apeirogon » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:55 am

Enjay wrote:I use an antique wooden chair that is comfortable enough

But you already have ultimate computer, and not only computer, chair. Why you want change it?

From my experience, I changed 4 computer chairs for ten years. And in the same time, wooden chairs from six wooden chairs set, that was bought by my grandfather around 50 years ago, still....ehhh.....work, I think, perfectly fine. Maybe not 50, but 30 for sure, I still remember how I fall from one of them when I was this like :oops:
But to be honest, that was not Razer like computer chairs with acid green neon backlight and such stuff. Just "default" computer chairs. Probably gaming chairs made from more quality plastic than "default" ones.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby Enjay » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks for the recommendations.
Apeirogon wrote:But you already have ultimate computer, and not only computer, chair. Why you want change it?

To be fair, I probably won't change my chair. I'm asking on behalf of my son (who goes through chairs like they are going out of fashion) and a friend whose chair is also falling apart. If I see something really good, I might think about replacing the wooden one but it's lasted over 100 years so I don't expect it to fail any time soon.
Enjay

Postby Nash » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm

+1 to "they don't make 'em like they used to" - one of my longest surviving computer chairs, lasted around circa 1998 until well into the mid 2010's (I can't remember when it eventually broke - probably around 2015/2016'ish?). And I used it a LOT. I was on my computer almost every day throughout those years.

I was literally using the same, no-brand computer/office chair for 17 years. Crazy.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Mikk- » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:40 pm

I've been using this for the past year, it's especially robust (rated to support 27 stone, granted I don't come near that) and incredibly comfortable. The only issue is the goliath price. Though in my eyes, I find it worth it. (uk shopping link)
Mikk-
yooooooooooo

Discord: Mikk0451#3922

Postby Enjay » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:01 pm

That one looks nice and robust. It has tubular metal parts rather than cast metal. :yup:
Enjay

Postby Dancso » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 pm

I'll share my experience with the only chair that ive bought so far:

It's a GT Omega PRO Racing chair (i know.. vroom vroom. I don't care how dumb it looks as long as it's comfortable), comes in pleather and fabric variants.
I've had it for 3.5 years now, it was the only reasonably priced chair i could find with decent build quality and adjustable armrests (wish it had better lumbar support, it only has the pillow strap solution).
The back pillow doesn't hold up too well and the pleather is "shockingly" not immune to forming cracks if you step on it (i guess there's worse deaths than falling from a rolling chair). The high density foam is pretty good but it does compress a little over years from excessive use (like 14hrs a day average). I can't say I have any big complaints about it though, considering the alternatives out there (and their price).
I believe they're based in Scotland, so that's nice :P

People have of course suggested I get a used Herman Miller Aeron or an Ergohuman but I didn't feel comfortable paying that much at the time, nor do I like the idea of indirectly touching butts with strangers HAH!
Dancso
bow wow

Postby dpJudas » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:56 pm

The Aeron is a really nice chair, but it too doesn't seem to be built to last. At least the Aeron I have at work looks like it could die any minute now. ;)
dpJudas

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 pm

i would also like to get some advice on a good computer chair as well. my brother's birthday is coming up soon, and we were thinking of giving him a nice new chair to replace his old one, whose wheels broke off and is completely unusable now (on top of the material of the seat having peeled off with age). i've seen several sales in the ads of "gaming chairs" for reasonable prices, but it seems like those aren't worth getting if you want something that'll last. anything in the 100-200 euro range preferably if that price range would net a reliable chair, and links to getting it in Sweden would be nice (though that may be something of a tall order).
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
Lives To Serve

Postby Phobus » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 am

Christ, it's been a while.

Anyway, I was going to chip in and say that, if you want a cheap option that's good for 3-6 years at least, then the mysit racing chair might do in a pinch. Then I looked it up and they're going for nearly £70 where they're in stock at all, and European options seem to be even pricier. Pretty sure I got mine for about £35, back around 2015 or so.

I give that year range because my brother and his cats destroyed his black and blue one in 2-3 years (I don't believe the colour is to blame) - the main issue really is the way that he sits. That central cushion has been near-enough ripped off by him sitting with his feet on the chair and various other unorthodox positions. My chair has seen some really heavy use for at least four of the six years I've owned it, and the most visibly worn part is the label. However, it's a very basic chair (very little adjust-ability), the thin metal bar that stops the tilt from happening slips out easily (testing the resilience of both the underside of my desk drawer and my knees more often than I'd prefer) and the arms don't have any reinforcement, so with my relatively average weight over time, the chair back leans back quite a lot and the arms just flex to accommodate that now. This also means the bolts often want tightening up on the side. It's also incredibly noisy now, with loads of creaks and squeaks as I move about. It's better at taking weight than an IKEA Torkel, at least. If somebody sits in your lap, the wheel mountings don't break! Or at least, they haven't, yet...

I think what I'm really saying here is that this thread has made me consider my chair and find it barely adequate. I guess I'll be in the market in the not-so-distant future myself!
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Return to Off-Topic