File sizes

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

File sizes

Postby NachtIntellect » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:03 am

Hi everyone, so there is a project I am working and in terms of file size it might be probably a little more than what this forum is used to and I know large file sizes are normally frowned upon as some people here either don't have much bandwidth or don't have the data to download certain large files. So I thought what I'd do is give you guys a compressed version which lowers the quality quite a bit of audio and then maybe split it into packs with their being an option to download the high quality audio, basically you would only need 2 of these packs 1 being the core files includes all the code for base monsters, has the basic voices and so on, originally I plan to have each pack being 10-15 MB's so that way it can be played and enjoyed by all.

But I have to ask, what size do you all think is the limit to what you would normally download? Please let me know, I want to make sure you guys with the low-end bandwidth or data all get a chance to play my project should you choose to.
NachtIntellect
Eisennacht Headmaster

Discord: NachtIntellect#9270

Re: File sizes

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:55 am

If it is your dream game Eternally Eternity Blitz, i would first focus on getting the content ready and worry about size later.

Judging from your post you are concerned about audio. I assume you want to use .ogg or .mp3's for the soundtrack and/or the voices?

Or, you could commit yourself to use a midi soundtrack as an alternative for the .ogg pack, since that can be included in a low-bandwidth download, and make the ogg soundtrack an optional download. Or you could opt to ship the low-bandwidth version without soundtrack, but that might turn into a point of criticism from those who will play your mod.
Redneckerz

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby MFG38 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:16 am

Thankfully my own Internet doesn't have any arbitrary bandwidth limits or other such caps I know of, so I'm not too concerned about .wad and .pk3 files that are even 100MB+ in size.

Either way, I second Redneckerz's post above, in particular the idea of a MIDI "main" soundtrack and an optional OGG one available as a separate download.
MFG38

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit

Postby NachtIntellect » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Redneckerz wrote:If it is your dream game Eternally Eternity Blitz, i would first focus on getting the content ready and worry about size later.

Judging from your post you are concerned about audio. I assume you want to use .ogg or .mp3's for the soundtrack and/or the voices?

Or, you could commit yourself to use a midi soundtrack as an alternative for the .ogg pack, since that can be included in a low-bandwidth download, and make the ogg soundtrack an optional download. Or you could opt to ship the low-bandwidth version without soundtrack, but that might turn into a point of criticism from those who will play your mod.

I've made all the sound files ogg, the music is made in MIDI. WW suggested seeing if Speex would work which would help with the compression. But yeah as far as I know some people on the forums have bandwidth problems and was the whole reason for changing over to imgur as spoilers didn't stop the images from loading.
NachtIntellect
Eisennacht Headmaster

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 pm

NachtIntellect wrote:
I've made all the sound files ogg, the music is made in MIDI. WW suggested seeing if Speex would work which would help with the compression. But yeah as far as I know some people on the forums have bandwidth problems and was the whole reason for changing over to imgur as spoilers didn't stop the images from loading.

Good, so its your fault. :lol:

Joking aside, i would then consider making the ogg an optional download. Speex could be used, but perhaps its an idea to convert them over to a lower bitrate stream and re-code from there? In the old times voices were used as .VOC files.

Whilst i reckon that's old and buried, perhaps its an idea? Or maybe look into how other games go with this idea?
Redneckerz

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby leileilol » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm

There's also the old idgames/ guidelines where 50MB is the max ever, and there's been many, MANY cases of pwads of a few not impressive levels with their size 'impressively' padded up with commercial MP3s. Some see a large filesize as a reflection of quality/"marchitecture".

Another thing to watch out for are MD3s. There have been a few gzdoom wads that have a few thousandspolies lotsofframes MD3s that ended up in the hundred megs. MD3 is not an efficient format....somethinggrumbleIQMetc

my 'no thanks' begins in the upper hundredmegs+gigabytes since it usually smells like a mess. I don't care how ridiculously fast 2019 internet is or how much storage can be had for less, this is instinct/expectation
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Pretty much what leilei said, though my own personal cutoff point starts materializing at 100MB just because of the new digit.

(I really dislike the feel of any headphones and I live in a tiny apartment so good speakers aren't a real non-asshole option, so I do a lot of playing without audio and lots of voice and music are going to be a waste for me usually)
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Kinsie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:00 am

Stand-alone games should probably focus on being fun and/or entertaining to play before they stress about shaving off kilobytes.
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby NachtIntellect » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:25 pm

leileilol wrote:There's also the old idgames/ guidelines where 50MB is the max ever, and there's been many, MANY cases of pwads of a few not impressive levels with their size 'impressively' padded up with commercial MP3s. Some see a large filesize as a reflection of quality/"marchitecture".

Another thing to watch out for are MD3s. There have been a few gzdoom wads that have a few thousandspolies lotsofframes MD3s that ended up in the hundred megs. MD3 is not an efficient format....somethinggrumbleIQMetc

my 'no thanks' begins in the upper hundredmegs+gigabytes since it usually smells like a mess. I don't care how ridiculously fast 2019 internet is or how much storage can be had for less, this is instinct/expectation

Matt wrote:Pretty much what leilei said, though my own personal cutoff point starts materializing at 100MB just because of the new digit.

(I really dislike the feel of any headphones and I live in a tiny apartment so good speakers aren't a real non-asshole option, so I do a lot of playing without audio and lots of voice and music are going to be a waste for me usually)

Thank you very much for that both of you, look I am going to do absolutely everything I can so you don't have to download it at a large filesize. But in the end if it does somehow end up at 50 MB's I think the packs would be the better option to avoid the yikes factor.
NachtIntellect
Eisennacht Headmaster

Return to Off-Topic