Project Warlock

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Project Warlock

Post by NeuralStunner »

I think the point's been made, and this should get back to the original topic.
David_Conrad

Post by David_Conrad »

It's not a roguelike!

And the lack of rotations for enemies is mostly due to time constraints. We have over 50 unique enemy types and drawing rotation frames for all of them would significantly post pone the release date. And since it was supposed to ba simple shooter, the game didn't really make use of monsters being visible from different angles. We had to settle for some limitations as we had limted time, budget and experience and this is our first game we made together. So we wanted to start relatively small.

so that's our excuse:)
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Nothing wrong with starting small. Never bite off more than you can chew, best advice I ever got here.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to playing this at some point. I've seen some shots of the exterior areas and they look really groovy.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah, I'm totally into this. Been following on Twitter since before it had a name, looks like good intense fun to me.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

David_Conrad wrote:It's not a roguelike!

And the lack of rotations for enemies is mostly due to time constraints. We have over 50 unique enemy types and drawing rotation frames for all of them would significantly post pone the release date. And since it was supposed to ba simple shooter, the game didn't really make use of monsters being visible from different angles. We had to settle for some limitations as we had limted time, budget and experience and this is our first game we made together. So we wanted to start relatively small.

so that's our excuse:)
is it going to be possible to upgrade all weapons and max out all stats/skills/perks if you 100% the game, e.g. killing all enemies and discovering all secrets, or are there intentionally not enough XP/skill points to level up everything, so you have to pick your playstyle because some things are mutually exclusive? Personally, I like it more if games give you the ability to do that, if you grind hard enough or are willing to invest enough time in the game, analogue to Fallout 4, where you can max all perks at level 275. In all previous titles, the max level was 20 or 30 and you only got a perk every second or third level up, so you had to choose wisely.
David_Conrad

Post by David_Conrad »

is it going to be possible to upgrade all weapons and max out all stats/skills/perks if you 100% the game
I don't think so. The whole point of this system is to build your character around certain playstyle. If you want to focus on guns, ammo capacity and firepower, you will invest in different upgrades than if you went for mana pool and spellpower. You can even ignore spells entirely. You can choose to be very mobile glass cannon or a tank. This system should make the game more replayable as you can try out different builds and playstyles.

Or you can just type in some cheats and get all the upgrades this way:)
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

So, it is finally out!
Bought it, downloaded it and played for roughly an hour.
I really like the graphical style. The gameplay is also pretty good, but some times it is hard. I think this is a good remake of good old shooters.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

It's really hard on eyes for me. I think it may be capped at 30fps.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

ramon.dexter wrote:So, it is finally out!
Bought it, downloaded it and played for roughly an hour.
I really like the graphical style. The gameplay is also pretty good, but some times it is hard. I think this is a good remake of good old shooters.
So, such
15398855058760.png
system requirement reasonable?

I mean, for game which says "It like a old school shooters, but cooler", with sprite graphics and midi soundtrack, such requirement lead to vague doubts....
8GB ram and 2GB vram requirement with 3GB actual game size....what....
Or every "pixel" on texture have 4K quality?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Those look suspiciously similar to the minimum operating requirments of Unity3d, which incidently, is what it appears to run on.

I suppose they could have made this game in python instead. Which would have had more lax requirements.

edit: I didn't mean this post to sound so testy, but it's more about the software than what they've done with it. Yes, it's got higher requirements than what you'd expect a game looking like this would have, but then this is 2018. They might be more comfortable with Unity. They might not want to produce this on a more basic engine. It still looks like it runs faster than most Unity efforts.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Apeirogon - GZDoom 3.6.0 cannot run on an MS DOS machine with a 486 processor. Your point?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You know what I do when drawing up system requirements for a software I create? I just publish my own machine's specs. It might run on something lower but I won't know it until someone does it.

If I am in a team, we just use the weakest person's machine's specs.

It's not unusual, it's not demonic or evil, it's just standard procedure. You can't claim your game is going to run on a 333 MHz processor until you run it on the 333 MHz processor and determine it runs smoothly. If you do make that claim, then you have to support it, and if you have problems, you are responsible not only for the inevitable tech support calls (which I think in some countries there's a regulation that you HAVE to help those people - if they're indeed using a system at or above the recommended requirements), but also liable for any misleading advertising lawsuits that may come your way when people discover, in fact, that lo and behold! your game does not run well on a 333 MHz system.

You don't say it can run on a 333 MHz system unless you have one, and you are absolutely positive that you can prove it will run smoothly, if it comes down to the nitty gritty.

Suck it up and try it yourself on a different system if that really bugs you. There's nothing anyone can do to lower the minimum system requirements for Unity unless they're willing to go in and optimize the code and remove features until it runs on a lesser system.

This is why I loved the 90's where there were shareware versions of every major game. You could test it on your system to see how well it runs and that could help with your decision to make the purchase - pretty much removing the need to pay attention to the system requirements.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Let's not forget one very important thing here:

All the game's revenue also has to pay for customer support. But if you set your system requirements too low you'll get flooded with complaints. It may sell a bit more but it also increases the potential problems quite significantly. So any smart developer will set the system requirements high enough so that all those cheap-o customers can be clearly told to upgrade their hardware if they are below the set requirements. No smart publisher would set some Intel garbage as the lowest requirement. Geforce 560 was a mid range card 6 years ago and today sounds very reasonable as a minimum target for a commercial game.

Even for GZDoom I'd clearly tell people that something like a Geforce 560 would be the recommended minimum to run the games with full features. Anything less can be considered low end garbage these days.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yeah, it runs on unity3d. Is that a problem? Unity is good, modern opensource engine. If the dev is fammiliar with it, then there is no problem.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The "problem" only occurs if some people think that a game that looks like from the 90's is supposed to run on hardware from the distant past as well.

Return to “Off-Topic”