Doom Eternal reveal thread.

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: Developers

Doom Eternal reveal thread.

Postby RedoLane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:54 am

It's almost time! Tomorrow, at Quakecon, over Bethesda's traditional keynote, We'll see the first official gameplay reveal of Doom Eternal.
I have many things I want in it, and many things I don't want, while thinking about the execution of the plot, visuals and graphics.

This is a roundup of everything I want in Doom Eternal:
-Good plot, involving the Doom Slayer, Samuel Hayden, a rebooted VEGA companion, a Daisy appearance(dead or alive, or both), and maybe 2 new characters.
-2 Demons which weren't shown: Mother Demon and a new Icon of Sin(since the original was found inside hell in Doom 2016), while also bringing boss monsters as big normal spawns(like in the original Hell on Earth).
-New weapons, alongside a returning one from Doom 64: The Unmaker.
-New ways to glory-kill, megasphere drops, a better tribute to the invul-sphere.
-A longer single-player campaign.
-A full secret Wolfenstein(Reboot) segment.
-Better multiplayer experience which will last longer on consoles and PC.
-PC only - Steam Workshop support.
-Doom Slayer to stay silent for the whole game(except grunts. they are fine).

And now a roundup of everything I don't want in Doom Eternal:
-Snapmap… all of it.
-Temporary paid DLC to become free DLC a year later. it's either free or paid.
-Arcade Mode. It just doesn't feel rewarding.
-Long forced cutscenes in campaign.
-DLC only for multiplayer. It won't hurt to give a campaign expansion!
-Secret rooms of Classic Doom maps. Yeah, I get it, we love the classic games...but it just doesn't feel rewarding anymore.
-Exclusive support to the new Bethesda launcher. JUST DON'T!

And that's pretty much it. What are your thoughts and feelings for tomorrow's glorious gameplay reveal?
RedoLane

Discord: #7295

Re: Quakecon 2018 - Getting ready for Doom Eternal

Postby RexS » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:00 pm

I hope they release a real editor within the engine, like D3Radiant was for Doom 3. SnapMap was a fucking Tony Hawk Pro Skater Park Creator console kiddie insult to modders and developers.
RexS

Postby Kinsie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 am

RexS wrote:I hope they release a real editor within the engine, like D3Radiant was for Doom 3.
Given how much nothing came out of the Rage Id Studio, and how ridiculously complex the Id Tech tools apparently are, don't expect this.

RexS wrote:SnapMap was a fucking Tony Hawk Pro Skater Park Creator console kiddie insult to modders and developers.
I'unno, I can think of at least one developer who liked it:
John Romero wrote:This is where it's gotta go. The group who made SnapMap started their careers by playing Doom and using TEd. The company that was embedded inside id Software was called Escalation Studios. They did Doom Resurrection. I've known those people for over 20 years. They're very hardcore gamers, they come from the Doom world, and then the Quake world. They've followed the company since we made Doom. These were people whose lives were about making levels for years.

So, SnapMap was a natural evolution of where tools need to be for people, but on console. Obviously they didn't create Doom using SnapMap, but SnapMap is a really great way for people who have never done level design to – at least – see if they like it, and if they do like that, well there are more powerful things that they can do. Maybe not with this version of Doom, but with the Source engine, and many other engines out there, like Unreal. So this is to give them a taste of what it's like.
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 am

... and he was completely missing the point with that statement. That's really not what modders are after.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby neoworm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 am

From some of the custom levels that are on youtube the snapmap is actually pretty good. At least better than I was ever hoping it would be. If they wanted editor that is open to the community with difficulty similar to, lets say doombuilder, the snap map fits quite well. Making full fledged mods for new DooM would be pretty much impossible for like 99% of people who were actually interested in modding in the first place.
neoworm

Postby Nash » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:54 am

Let's be real, almost none of us have the required hardware for the editing workflow, nor the skill. I see a lot of folks on Discord who whine about the difficulty of static mesh world-building workflow, baking lighting and everything else in a modern level design pipeline, and they wish modern level creation is as easy as drawing lines or placing brushes.

If it's any indication, Doom 3, which does have editors released, doesn't even have a modding community nearly as large as ZDoom's. And D3's editing workflow is considered a joke compared to 2018 game engine workflow.
Nash
Nash Muhandes

Postby RedoLane » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 am

Ummm….not wanna sound rude, but no one gonna predict or tell what they want in Eternal? Or are we gonna discuss mapping, editing and snapmap here? ^^''
RedoLane

Postby Trance » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 am

That is something they want in Eternal, a more fully-featured mapping toolset.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby Caligari87 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 am

See people are saying this:
I want real mapping / modding tools for Doom Eternal!
But meaning this:
I want GZDoomBuilder for Doom Eternal!

And it's blatantly obvious that they have no idea the kind of workflow, skillset, or resources required for a modern game engine.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Trance » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

Give it to them anyway. Some of those people might step up their game and surprise you.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby neoworm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 am

I just want more of DooM.

One of my very few gripes with DooM 2016 was design of monsters - some look kinda bloaty, covered in undefined horn/meat/stone material that is just boring and the new Guardians are just completely forgettable. So improving on this would be good.

EDIT:
I didn't played this but it looks like genuinely good custom level.
neoworm

Postby hardcore_gamer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Trance wrote:Give it to them anyway. Some of those people might step up their game and surprise you.

How many good maps were made for Doom 3? Which itself was even less complicated to make maps for than it would be for a modern game...

Sure there were some good maps made for Doom 3, but only a handful. And this was true even during the height of the game's popularity. The only noteworthy maps I remember from back then was the Classic Doom 3 campaign, In Hell, and a few other good maps by individual authors. There was also Last Man Standing but that was mostly MP stuff. Otherwise, I don't remember a lot of decent content being made for Doom 3.
hardcore_gamer
Banned User

Doom Eternal Official Gameplay Reveal - Your Thoughts!

Postby RedoLane » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Hell has come! And The Doom Slayer too! (I bet a lot of us came too)
We finally got a full gameplay reveal for Doom Eternal, which consists of over 15 minutes of action-packed brutality, filled with demons who are designed to be more loyal to their classic counterparts, re-modelled weapons for nostalgia like the Plasma Gun, and a lot of new arsenal for our angry slayer to equip.
We learned about the Invasion System, where people can invade your campaign as playable demons, and they can either attack you, or join you. Invasion is completely optional, so if you want to play through it all alone, it's possible.
We saw a lot of concept arts for the demons, weapons, and many different locations in Earth and beyond.

The Doom Slayer's movement has also improved, and he can now dash forward, sideways, backward, and in the air. He can also use the Super Shotgun's new Meat Hook mod, which allows him to grapple into enemies and obstacles for more air time and even more faster action.
There are more ways to glory kill, more paths to take, and many secrets to find. There is also a Life System, which may imply that if you pick an extra life, the next time you die, you'll be resurrected once.

So what are your thoughts? Do you think there are issues, something to improve, or just anything you want to share about it?

Also one more thing(not wanna blabber too much): here's our glorious flame boi!

Last edited by RedoLane on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedoLane

Re: Doom Eternal Official Gameplay Reveal - Your Thoughts!

Postby neoworm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:44 pm

I am thoroughly satisfied.
neoworm

Re: Doom Eternal Official Gameplay Reveal - Your Thoughts!

Postby PermaNoob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 pm

RedoLane wrote:
We learned about the Invasion System, where people can invade your campaign as playable demons, and they can either attack you, or join you. Invasion is completely optional, so if you want to play through it all alone, it's possible.

This is truly the Dark Souls of DOOM games.

Sorry I had to
PermaNoob
Lurking.

Next

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness