The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by NeuralStunner »

leileilol wrote:How old is your build? V14 uses OpenAL and packs OpenALSoft with it so the delay is way far less noticeable.
Seems I was thinking of VirtualBox using DirectSound. The delay in PCem might be from having the sound buffer set too high. Setting it at the lowest (50ms) seems to have helped. Other wierd issues (distortion, bass) were fixable in the sound blaster mixer.

... I actually kind of like how, even with a fast virtual machine, the emulated floppy drive is still realtime. I have to imagine the sound of course. :P

Edit: Wait. Unlike DOSBox, PCem properly maintains audio output in the background... I can actually use PLAYCMF as a player now.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

My only problem with PCem is that on Linux it seems to have REALLY bad audio stutter in some cases
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Screenshot of my crap batch-based CMF player...
Spoiler:
(Wanted to post this yesterday, but Imgur didn't want to upload anything.)

Semi-related: I can't figure out why SimCity 2000 always crashes when I replace the sound files, no matter what program & rate I save them in. I remember getting this working back in the day, but even in my virtual Windows 3.11 system it crashes/hangs. :?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

i should mention i'm only a minor code contributor to PCem and my research into 3dfx accuracy does not imply i wrote the whole thing, but am looking into where and how to put efforts of spackle into Sarah's excellent work. She is currently focusing on rewriting the CPU recompiler code this year.

Dithering subtraction's been my recent focus and I'm also interested in recreating that one bug with the gamma where you can overflow it to crazy colors. I don't have any VGA capturing devices so i'm unable to study any direct captures of a Voodoo Graphics or a Voodoo2. Other areas for potential accuracy polish may include the LoD calculation as it's not a smooth curve and it doesn't have the capability to dither yet (which, in theory, would be easy to implement after the curve part, as it would use the same 2x2 dither matrix to blend in between mip levels).

I also thought about a silly idea to make the pc speaker sound its own source in OpenAL so then i'd apply an EFX to it to give it a panned, case-mounted chorus+reverb effect

As for games i'm planning to play in PCem..... doom+/doom2+'ing Rekkr and D64D2 on 486 specs have been of interest. I sure hope the design respects keyboard-only play in beatability
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Just ordered these as a "get well" present for my baby when I get her back, for being such a good girl at the hospital. (Body Shop.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N ... UTF8&psc=1

Good +30RWHP when combined with the long-tube headers I already have installed, (more air in & more "air" [exhaust] out) with a good +10-15RWHP after I get the computer (PCM) tuned for this and the headers. It also makes even further gains when paired with an aftermarket camshaft, (because the camshaft can take advantage of more air flow) but that's not going to be for a while (2019 at the earliest.)
Revae

Post by Revae »

Edit: Last thing I did was bugfix and then played Diabolus Ex, which was pretty great comfy map with a comfy style.
leileilol wrote: As for games i'm planning to play in PCem..... doom+/doom2+'ing Rekkr and D64D2 on 486 specs have been of interest. I sure hope the design respects keyboard-only play in beatability
Lemme know how that goes. It should work, but I've only been able to test in dosbox and chocolate doom.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I've finished Myst again. Next up: The sequel to Myst. I mean III, of course. :P

(I still don't know why everyone hates the sound maze, it's the coolest puzzle in the game and not really hard at all. Compared to finding the secret passages in the Stoneship Age, which trips me up every time.)

Also I've been awake for around 36 hours so I think I'll go try to get some sleep. :toohappy:
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Finished up the initial version of a small program to batch convert PNG files to the Quake palette. I still need to add an option to build a WAD2 file instead of dumping the textures to another directory, and an option to use a more accurate color conversion, but it's good enough for now. And it's threaded, so it can work pretty quickly for what it is.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

andrewj's qpakman may be useful in that regard to study. It could build paks and texture wads out of folders and PNGs with automatic palette application as well as fullbright-avoiding unless explicitly specified. It was a very useful tool in my brief 2008 ambition to remake Hexen II make a decent original media project for some lousy game's source code. It's pretty much the Quake equivalent of deutex
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Cool, I'll check it out! I already have the fullbright avoiding in-place; it's just a matter of not using colors 240 through 254, at least in the original game. What I don't have is an option to turn that off, but that's easy to add. But seeing an example of pak and wad2 creation would definitely jumpstart my next steps.

I'm basically using this to convert Doom texture WADs to Quake for my own levels.
Revae

Post by Revae »

NeuralStunner wrote:I've finished Myst again. Next up: The sequel to Myst. I mean III, of course. :P
I got stuck in Myst 3 just due to the layout of the ages. They didn't seem very thought out for navigation. Should probably give it another go sometime... Myst and Riven were amazing though.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Finished uploading videos from July 4th, 2018. We are very safe (other than being drunk) with these fireworks, they are commercial grade. It could be deadly if they went off on the ground. Very fun, though. The neighborhood was cheering and clapping.

NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

As much as I liked Riven, I missed the linking sound. 3 Brings it back, mixed in a higher fidelity. I managed to dig it out of the files... I guess I have a new startup sound for one of my VMs!

I also thoguht I'd change my pic to Atrus for a while. I don't really look much like Rand Miller, but then I never looked anything like RDA either. :P
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Got the smooth 92mm Throttle Body from FAST (for LS1, LS6, and LS2 Corvette engines). I can't wait to get the matching air intake manifold in the mail and add some power/speed to my wife and I's baby. You know, once I get the darn thing out of the BODY SHOP!!!!! lol

scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Return to “Off-Topic”