Heretic is a really bad game

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Heretic is a really bad game

Post by cambertian »

RexS wrote:
cambertian wrote:
Scripten wrote:[Hexen was actually significantly more disappointing to me because it had such a strong start. I was enjoying myself well into the swamp but it wasn't long after that when I just sort of petered out.
I call it "shareware syndrome." (Even though it isn't shareware...)

But yeah, Heretic's good, but it really does feel like, say, a Blake Stone to Doom's Wolfenstein. I prefer the added depth and exploration of Hexen.
But Blake Stone was good, too... in the Wolfenstein era.
I didn't mean to say Blake was bad. Just that, like a lot of people are saying, Heretic feels like a medieval Doom TC, much like how Blake feels like a futuristic Wolf3D TC.
They're different flavors, but adding a single spice doesn't make it stand out as its own separate category of food. That's more what I was trying to say.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

well I for one loved heretic as It felt like a fantasy doom mod in essence... as I was a doom fan I lapped it up. I was actually disappointed by heXen. the rpg 'find-this-object' heavy elements wrecked the fast paced combat I loved from both doom and heretic.

However it seems to me that many share this view that heretic sucks. there's not many maps out there that I have found (compared to what doom has to offer) and I can only assume that that's down to the fact that there's less love for heretic...

that's really the main reason I Made Quake 'descent into heresy' for heretic: to add some gunplay elements and get more people playing heretic!
Hexereticdoom

Re: Heretic is a really COOL game, and here is a proof!

Post by Hexereticdoom »

By the way, do you guys remember about the Doom's DUMP levels saga? Well, from now Heretic has its own dedicated version called HUMP, courtesy of Doomworld forum users... Why don't you take a peek on it? :)

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... -released/
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Hexereticdoom wrote:By the way, do you guys remember about the Doom's DUMP levels saga? Well, from now Heretic has its own dedicated version called HUMP, courtesy of Doomworld forum users... Why don't you take a peek on it? :)

It's here too
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

insightguy wrote:
Hexereticdoom wrote:By the way, do you guys remember about the Doom's DUMP levels saga? Well, from now Heretic has its own dedicated version called HUMP, courtesy of Doomworld forum users... Why don't you take a peek on it? :)

It's here too
Ouch, sorry... How can I have missed it? :bang:
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

osjclatchford wrote:that's really the main reason I Made Quake 'descent into heresy' for heretic: to add some gunplay elements and get more people playing heretic!
I understand this is an unpopular opinion, but if somewone wants to shoot fantastical monsters with guns, that's what Doom is for. Trying to fix whatever problems one has with the arsenal by going "just make them guns" is pretty much missing the entire point. I see much less complaint about Hexen's weapons, so clearly it's possible to make more satisfying weapons that aren't Yet Another Gun Mod Port. :shrug:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NeuralStunner wrote:
osjclatchford wrote:that's really the main reason I Made Quake 'descent into heresy' for heretic: to add some gunplay elements and get more people playing heretic!
I understand this is an unpopular opinion, but if somewone wants to shoot fantastical monsters with guns, that's what Doom is for. Trying to fix whatever problems one has with the arsenal by going "just make them guns" is pretty much missing the entire point. I see much less complaint about Hexen's weapons, so clearly it's possible to make more satisfying weapons that aren't Yet Another Gun Mod Port. :shrug:
I'd contend that "missing the point" is the entire point of making a mod in the first place.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Oh don't get me wrong. I adore heretic as it s... The point I meant to impart is that's one of the reasons I made the quake mod for heretic and not doom or any other game for that matter... I just felt That heretic deserved more love and I figured it might be a way of getting some more players discovering and subsequently playing heretic... Not out to remake the wheel.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Speaking of Heretic: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... o-heretic/

Have to say it does look quite a bit more like Quake to me than Heretic. A lot of these retro indie shooters inspired by games of yore also feel like they don't quite understand what made the originals good. Like, it's true that movement speed in Doom/Heretic is pretty fast, but for whatever reason people seem to interpret that as the old games being First Person Sonic w/ weapons and gore, where if you're not constantly running and tearing up enemies it's bad design. The miss out on the ability to play more slowly and cautiously while taking in the music, sounds, and visual design and still have an enjoyable experience. Heretic in particular also made great use of varying architecture between maps to give a sense of the greater world, rather than Cathedral-esque Map #2045.

Also, the weapon-humping animation is something straight out of Quake. That's actually something that bugged me back with the original Quake, as I much prefer the side-to-side weapon sway of the Doom-engine games.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

I can't stand the cookie cutter Hollywood hype video trailers, you learn next to nothing from them. Maybe if there is a demo of game I'll try it out.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I played this yesterday, at PAX Aus.

It's developed by El Zee and 5hifty, the Return of the Triad TC folks, so, you know, they know what they're doing level design wise. ;) It's very very Quake-y, yes, but with the whole Heretic "medieval fantasy FPS" feel and overcharged-weapons mechanic. I quite enjoyed the level I played.
Chris wrote:rather than Cathedral-esque Map #2045
Nah, instead it's Bathhouse map # 2045.
Hypersonic wrote:I can't stand the cookie cutter Hollywood hype video trailers, you learn next to nothing from them. Maybe if there is a demo of game I'll try it out.
I think there might be a public demo in the nigh future?
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

On the steam page it says available soon http://store.steampowered.com/app/673130/AMID_EVIL/

I see health and mana on that screenshot, do you use mana for weapon ammo, like in Hexen?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hypersonic wrote:On the steam page it says available soon http://store.steampowered.com/app/673130/AMID_EVIL/

I see health and mana on that screenshot, do you use mana for weapon ammo, like in Hexen?
Word I heard from the devs at the booth was that they're looking at a release in January-February.

There's mana, which is ammo, and souls, which charge up your weapons (I guess if you collect enough you enter tome mode? I didn't quite grasp the mechanic at the time)
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Maybe it's like Hexen with green and blue mana. Slot 2 uses green, Slot 3 uses blue, Slot 4 uses both green and blue? Or souls are sort of like tome 'pages', collect enough for a entire tome of power book?
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Might also operate like souls from Painkiller - max out of them, and you enter a super mode.

Return to “Off-Topic”