[ZScript] Flares

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.

[ZScript] Flares

Postby Rip and Tear » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 pm

What is this?
This is a library that allows you to quickly add flares to actors. Flares are simple sprites with additive rendering. Flares will automatically follow the actor that they are attached to. Various attributes of the flare can be configured.

What does it look like?
Image

How do I use it?
Download the attached file and read the instructions, documentation, and examples provided in the contained zscript.txt file.

Feedback welcome.
Attachments
Flares.pk3
(116.64 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
User avatar
Rip and Tear
King of creative usernames
 
Joined: 02 May 2017

Re: [ZScript] Flares

Postby Endie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Nice work, but there's a way to actor check sight?

when using Decorate, you can call A_CheckSight, so if the item that carry the flare is out of player sight, it will hide the flare instantly, and when the item gets back, the flare is shown again
User avatar
Endie
Degreelessness mode ON
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2017
Discord: Moa Dixøn™#4254

Re: [ZScript] Flares

Postby Cherno » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 am

Kinda related, is it possible to have a flare that is completey visible (even if it would be clipped by other scenery) if the player sees it's center, and completely hidden when the player doesn't see it's center? Basically, like a real-life lensflare works, and how most modern games do it.
User avatar
Cherno
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2016

Re: [ZScript] Flares

Postby Rip and Tear » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 am

Cherno wrote:Kinda related, is it possible to have a flare that is completey visible (even if it would be clipped by other scenery) if the player sees it's center, and completely hidden when the player doesn't see it's center? Basically, like a real-life lensflare works, and how most modern games do it.

Endie wrote:Nice work, but there's a way to actor check sight? when using Decorate, you can call A_CheckSight, so if the item that carry the flare is out of player sight, it will hide the flare instantly, and when the item gets back, the flare is shown again

This is something I would definitely like to add in the future, but I’ve held off on it so far because I don’t have a great understanding of how multiplayer works in the GZDoom engine and I don’t want to accidentally break this library for multiplayer.
User avatar
Rip and Tear
King of creative usernames
 
Joined: 02 May 2017

Re: [ZScript] Flares

Postby Endie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:32 am

Also, when i tested your attatchment, the flare was behind the column. are you using any Sprite clipping option? or it depends of the angle of view?
User avatar
Endie
Degreelessness mode ON
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2017
Discord: Moa Dixøn™#4254

Re: [ZScript] Flares

Postby Rip and Tear » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am

Endie wrote:Also, when i tested your attatchment, the flare was behind the column. are you using any Sprite clipping option? or it depends of the angle of view?

I tested with a bunch of settings (including sprite clipping) and could not reproduce the issue.
User avatar
Rip and Tear
King of creative usernames
 
Joined: 02 May 2017

Re: [ZScript] Flares

Postby Ghost Prototype » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Well done
Spoiler:
User avatar
Ghost Prototype
 
Joined: 19 May 2013
Location: Philadelphia


Return to Script Library

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest